SAU Community

In Car Computer :d

parish

Hmm yeah i thought that would be the case, it's kinda obvious when you think about it hmmmmmm, i wonder if i coudl make a way to cut and mount him into the piller......... pffffft sounds like to much f**king around and i'll end up breaking somthign HAHAH ow well looks like i'll have one of those black boxes with the little face on it staring at me from the corner LOL

If i build a carputer i'm defently doing this option jon, after seeing it in your care i was like "f**k me" i'm doing that :P

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this stuff is unreal!

Almost want to sell my PC im using now and buy all the parts for a CarPuter!!!

Also, have you got Australian maps for free drive? If so, how / where etc...

Edited by Crimpage

hey guys what you have done looks awesome, i have not done one for myself but i have an idea for solving your hard drive problems that no one has mentioned.

have any of you considered microdrives?

for approximately 200 (ebay prices by the way) you can buy a 6gb microdrive. they are still mechanical so you have to be careful with them, but they are way more resistant to being thrown around than a regular hard drive. ou could use one of these to run a lot of your programs and music/videos off, although it would be best to use a traditional ( get a cheap small one) HD to run the OS off for some speed :D

in case you are not familiar with them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdrive

Edited by siksII

Primordial. Looks like I might have more time than I thought this holidays.

I might have a few qs for ya. I'm in sydney too. Do you reckon you migth be able to give us a hand.... please please please to quick track this thing.

Yeah i'm willing to help where ever possible. if you have any questions just ask away. There is enough knowledge in this thread to get you up and running with minimal fuss!

All this stuff is unreal!

Almost want to sell my PC im using now and buy all the parts for a CarPuter!!!

Also, have you got Australian maps for free drive? If so, how / where etc...

The maps you're looking for are actually for Destinator 3. Freedrive is built on this back-end.

Torrent here: http://www.torrentspy.com/download.asp?id=643606

There is only 2 seeds, so it may take a while to download. It's 80MB, but contains all maps for Australia.

Hmm yeah i thought that would be the case, it's kinda obvious when you think about it hmmmmmm, i wonder if i coudl make a way to cut and mount him into the piller......... pffffft sounds like to much f**king around and i'll end up breaking somthign HAHAH ow well looks like i'll have one of those black boxes with the little face on it staring at me from the corner LOL

If i build a carputer i'm defently doing this option jon, after seeing it in your care i was like "f**k me" i'm doing that :)

The microphones are tiny, like the size of half a stick of chalk. You've seen mobile phone car kit microphones before havent ya? You can barely even notice it's there..

Destin*tor maps:

http://rapidshare.de/files/9501158/Destina...a_Maps.zip.html or Emule.

If anyone could please cut the australian map and send Victoria only that would be great. As I cannot cut the map through destin*tor console.

I cant see any way this is possible.. it's all or nothing unfortunately.

Attached is the list of files inside the Destinator 3 Australia Maps. I dont see how you can extract Vic only from that? Whats wrong with having all of australia? It's only 80meg :D

post-23673-1150687802.jpg

With Destinator PN for the PDA, a program installs on the pda and on your own pc, named Destinator Console. Through this program you can install maps located on the Destinator installation cd and cut the installed maps. As Australia is not located on my Destinator Cd, i had to manually copy the australian map files onto the pda, thus being unable to be cut on the progrem.

There is a q2 2005 map installer floating around the net but cannot seem to find it.

Reason i want to cut the map, is because it lags as it searches all of Australia for the roads. Cutting for your own state would reduce this lag. This is in regards to a 200mhz PDA and not a 1ghz PC :P

Im using the same Australia maps for both Destin*tor PN and Destin*tor 3. D-PN was lagging on pda so downgraded to D-3. If i can cut this map I'll probably switch back to D-PN.

On another note if anyone wants a cheap GPS unit do what i did:

- Buy Jornada 568 PDA for $100~ (ebay)

- GPS mouse for 568 - $80 (ebay)

- Memory card 128mb

- Software

Around $200 for a gps.

PM me if anyone needs help >_<

Hey!

Nice work!

Just wondering - did you consider the option of adding a slimline slot-loader DVD-ROM to the PC? That would give you the perfect setup as you'd have the best of both worlds.

d0p3y, yeah, thought about it, but for the moment I don't really need it, use USB disk to put anything I need on there, and if its a bit of a bigger transfer I can hook it up to the my LAN pretty easyly... but yeah, maybe down the track will add the option for a DVD rom...

Might think about one of these as a project myself shortly. The only thing I wouldn't want to lose is the ability to just chuck a CD or DVD in when needed, because often friends will have a new CD or DVD to watch or listen to, so I wouldn't want to lose that functionality. Finding a place to flush mount a slimline DVD-ROM is the interesting part though..

The system I'm running has the best of both worlds. Due to the double DIN of the skylines (thankyou nissan :D) You can have an in dash motorised screen, AND your normal headunit. You just run the audio output of your PC to your AUX port on your headunit, so you can play CD's in your normal headunit, or switch to AUX for your carputer :laugh:

I'm going to be installing a slimline DVD drive in my glovebox for easy ripping/DVD playing too, cos currently my DVD drive is inside my laptop (under the drivers seat) so not really accessible obviously!

Jon- thats exactly what i was thinkgin abotu doing, mounting a dvd drive in teh glove box, the only problem it will be on an angle is that fine?? I saw on a forum a guy who got aunit fabricated that held a dvd drive with 2usb slots next to it, so i think this looks a great idea.

Michael

for gps software for pda's i prefer tomtom. easy to find latest version on torrentspy. download speed camera locations from net and have it warn you when approaching with spoken and visual warnings. something destinator 3 and pn as well as smart st v2 are incapeable of.

works great with map of australia on a 206mhz pda

Jon- thats exactly what i was thinkgin abotu doing, mounting a dvd drive in teh glove box, the only problem it will be on an angle is that fine??

Michael

Yes that will be fine. The cd/dvd clicks into place in the drive tray. It could even be upside down :P