SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

Ok i just had my car cleared through the EPA...

want a Hint on what to do... Make it stock no pod, keep your cooler and u pass simple :nyaanyaa:

Cas trust me... If your car has a mod they will ask you to remove it, IF it's a emissions related if u have a 12inch momo non padded center steering wheel they dont care it's not their problem...

Might save a lot of pointless trips for some.....

Thanks for sharing the info , definately helps myself and the others im sure

Cheers

My mate (who i just sold the r32gtst to) got sent a EPA thing where he has to take it in to get tested. Just wondering if it will pass.. it has a high flow cat, the exhaust i will replace it with is fine on noise so no problems there, i'm just wondering about carbon monoxide emissions.. It has a R34 turbo, has been remapped by dr drift workshop, has a walbro pump standard airbox, standard bov and i'll disconnect the boost controller..

The only thing that should change the carbon monoxide emissions is the remap, does anyone think this shouuld present a problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I have a small problem I received an EPA notice in the mail today and it states that i need to get an exhaust noise certificate.

That part is understandible, but I would like to know if a HKS Super Dragger with a JASMA plate is under 90 dba. Its a cat back system and if its not under 90 what can i do to make it quite without going back to standard.

Thanks in advance! :laugh:

Go to one of the listed exhaust shops, they will then test it.

It'll be over i dare say... and then the exhaust shop will reccomend the best way to fix the problem.

It'll probably cost around $200-$300 if you are indeed over the limit :)

Cheers

Hello all, I have a small problem I received an EPA notice in the mail today and it states that i need to get an exhaust noise certificate.

That part is understandible, but I would like to know if a HKS Super Dragger with a JASMA plate is under 90 dba. Its a cat back system and if its not under 90 what can i do to make it quite without going back to standard.

Thanks in advance! :)

How handy are you at turning a spanner? I'd suggest going back to the stock system to pass the test. It's probably the option that would almost garauntee that you will pass. (Obviously depending on the condition)

How handy are you at turning a spanner? I'd suggest going back to the stock system to pass the test. It's probably the option that would almost garauntee that you will pass. (Obviously depending on the condition)

The problem with that is i dont have the stock system as it came with the super dragger from japan, and i really dont want to buy a s/h system just to get this done. Is there a way of making it a bit quieter without costing the earth (i'm only on tyre fitter wages).

Thanks for your help :)

Go to one of the listed exhaust shops, they will then test it.

It'll be over i dare say... and then the exhaust shop will reccomend the best way to fix the problem.

It'll probably cost around $200-$300 if you are indeed over the limit :sleep:

Cheers

Your right i should spend the 35 on the test, that way i'll know, and if its over i will have to fix it, Thanks for the replys fellas.

:)

Some information from the EPA in regards to pod filters on EFI vehicles.

262EPAstuff.jpg

After looking at that extract from the EPA, does that mean I won't pass a RWC if i have an exhaust, injectors, bigger turbo, intercooler and ECU? =S

VicRoads and EPA don't work hand in hand.

You'll probably be able to pass a roadworthy, but if you get pulled over by Police and they ask you to pop the bonnet, you'll be sent off to the EPA where you will get reamed.

With the modifications you listed, it's unlikely that you'd meet emission standards.

My mate (who i just sold the r32gtst to) got sent a EPA thing where he has to take it in to get tested. Just wondering if it will pass.. it has a high flow cat, the exhaust i will replace it with is fine on noise so no problems there, i'm just wondering about carbon monoxide emissions.. It has a R34 turbo, has been remapped by dr drift workshop, has a walbro pump standard airbox, standard bov and i'll disconnect the boost controller..

The only thing that should change the carbon monoxide emissions is the remap, does anyone think this shouuld present a problem?

anyone at all?

You haven't specified the type of test?

Is it a "full" EPA, or is it just an exhaust db test?

If it's just a noise test, then it will be fine.

If it's a full EPA test, he'd better start collecting stock parts.

.....either way, the vehicle is in someone elses name now, so any problems encountered, or any notices received after the date of ownership change aren't your responsibility. >_<

It's a full EPA, sorry i was unaware that for just an exhaust noise you can get sent to the EPA, i thought you just went to a store licensed to do the EPA tests (which happened to me)

And he's a pretty good mate so i wanna help him out know wat i mean

It's a full EPA, sorry i was unaware that for just an exhaust noise you can get sent to the EPA, i thought you just went to a store licensed to do the EPA tests (which happened to me)

Yep, the noise tests are done by approved testers, carried out at various locations. (*link to list of approved testers*)

....but your post didn't specify either way, just "got sent a EPA thing where he has to take it in to get tested"... any EPA requires taking it in and getting tested, the testers don't come to you. :blink:

hmmm... my super dragger is very quiet :wave:

full 3" turbo back...

is your car auto?

Yep it's an auto, I went to the tester today and he said save your self from wasting 35 buck and make it quieter, so ive been quoted around 300 bucks for a new cat back in 2 1/2 (stuff that only gonna be used once), then $300 for a s/h r34 one dont think it would fit but not paying that much for s/h. Then one mob suggested a restricter plate for $70 but they said dont drive it far with it in, (I don't like that idea), I reckon im stuffed! :wave:

I got pinged this arvo for being 10mm too low! Lucky really coz I possibly could have been done for a lot more if the cop was in the mood!

Anyway, who else has dealt with this? Apparently I have 7 days to get it 'rectified' and sited by a vicroads office. It's a case of the exhaust being too low really. What's the easiet way around this? Can a suspension place help me lift it 10mm with some sort of a spacer or something? I do have the stock springs and exhaust but would like to avoid the hassle and expense if I can? What's the easiest and least expensive method to fix this? Do Vicroads charge you to have a defect inspection done?

thanks in advance,

Tim

Easiest way IMO would be put the stock exhaust back on, or at least cat back as im assuming its lowest point is somewhere after the cat.

And you can pretty much DIY that one at home without paying.

Alternatively you spend the $$ now and get the ride height to legal so next time you wont be nabbed for it.

Gotta weigh up the options that suit you

They wont charge you for an inspection, i think once the car has been raised, you need a RWC ($50-$70) and then goto VicRoads.

The notice will say what you need though.