SAU Community

Beer Baron's Japan Photo Diary

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, ok. Here are some pics from Miyajima, Kyoto and Osaka Castle.

Alright, we'll start again with the Tori outside the floating shrine in Miyajima. It looks amazing at day time, but was even more beautiful at night. Awesome place.

This is approaching the island by water.

img2318fw4.jpg

and at night. breathtaking.

img2498wo3.jpg

Miyajima is absolutely covered in wildlife. There are Deer everywhere, and they are not afraid to come up and try and snatch your stuff. Most of them have they antlers docked but some bad-ass ones higher up in the mountain still have them. You don't want to piss them off.

img2449jd4.jpg

Here are two deer looked in mortal combat.

img2351jz7.jpg

When I was down at Miyajima it was late autumn 2006. Very busy time as everyone wants to see the leaves change. The colours are just amazing.

img2436uk6.jpg

5 Story Pagoda on Miyajima

img2421jb3.jpg

Ok, I'll ad some Osaka and Kyoto pics later. :P

ok, Osaka Castle. Apart from the castle (now a sort of lookout and museum) and the amazing grounds there is also a kick ass takoyaki stall here, highly reccomended!

img2633kx2.jpg

Probably the most amazing part of Osaka castle is the castle walls, grounds and moat. Some of the stones in the wall are insanely massive. Amazing.

One of the biggest stones. The biggest one has a surface area of 60m2 and weights 130tonne!

img2711mw4.jpg

img2710iz5.jpg

Ok, the wet moat:

img2603ho4.jpg

img2583kh7.jpg

dry moat

img2619mr5.jpg

Ok here is two pics for the train fans. These are both Nozomi Shinkansen. One is a 500 class train and the other is a 700 class. I've been on both many times. Nozomi shinkansen is not cheap, but it is fast, and comfortable. I've take trips from Tokyo to Kyoto, to Osaka, to Kyushu (f*kuoka) and nothing beats being on a train going over 300km/h whilst you sip your beer and read your GTR magazine!

500 class nozomi

img3040gm3.jpg

700 class Nozomi (these are massive with something like 15 cars!!)

img1938hc6.jpg

The view at 300km/h

img1906uk1.jpg

The secret to happy shinkansen travel. Find something to read (in this case camera manual), bring or buy plenty of beer, have phone handy and make the odd trip to the smoking section as required.

img1917rn7.jpg

Whilst we are on trains. Here is Kyoto station. Don't ask why they have astro boy out the front...

img1973hv9.jpg

Miyajima is absolutely covered in wildlife. There are Deer everywhere, and they are not afraid to come up and try and snatch your stuff.[/img]

haha I had one of those deer snatch my fold-out map of the island, and slowly ate the whole thing.. yeah I hope that was tasty.

Richard, the wife and i are going to hiroshima for an overdue holiday week after next. we'll be there for 4 days.I need some info on wheres good- we still havent booked a hotel yet- and im sure you can help a brother out.

pm me when you get a chance. :P:D

Whilst we are on trains. Here is Kyoto station. Don't ask why they have astro boy out the front...

img1973hv9.jpg

You know so much about Kyoto yet don't know thats the sign to Tezuka Osamu World??? You ok mate? :laugh:

wicked stuff, love seeing threads n stuff like this, showings cars and everything else :yes:

more!

go time!

keep an eye on M3gtrs photo thread. ive got a month of ( paid! yay! ) and tons of pics to upload.

illbeonitassoonas.

sorry rezz, i never even read the sign. I don't recall saying I know so much about Kyoto though?

as for you m3gtr... this is what it's come to? lol spamming my thread to get people to look at your photos. tut tut tut. hang your head in shame.

• 3 weeks later...

great post - I have massively enjoyed your photos and commentary - keep it coming!

I have an 'adopted' Japanese 'sister' recently moved here to Adelaide from Nagoya (have known here for nearly all of my life) - she is a master at cooking us up Okonomiyaki - I can't get enough of the stuff!!!! Have you ever heard of Chris Glenn on the radio over there? He is from Adelaide and is apparently a radio superstar over there all over.

cant say i have. Im from Adelaide and i havent even heard of the guy..

im gonna hijack Richards thread again and say that if you want to see what an adelaideans life in JPN is like check out my photo thread..

dont reject me Richard, hug me! were bruthers from a defacto japanese mother.

Edited by m3gtr

• 1 month later...

thanx for the pics man this has been awsome, def wanna head over to japan in the next couple years. as for the comment about the old japanese guy driven race cars, if you didnt know who dick johnson was, and u saw him walking down the street ud just asume he was an up tight white guy.

• 3 weeks later...