SAU Community

R33: (gts-t) Series 1 And 2 Differences

PranK

Q; What is the difference between a series 1 and series 2 R33 Gtst?

A; There are several differences...

• The front end of the series 2 is sharper, slimmer headlights, different front bar (indicators and fog lights are round and located at the bottom of the bar). The bonnet has much sharper ridges.
  • The "skyline" panel at the rear of the car is body coloured on the series 2.
  • The interior of the series 2 has been updated including different trim, a passenger airbag and the dash facia has been updated.
  • Mechanical differences include an updated ECU and a ceramic turbo.
  • The series 1 was in production from late '93 through to late '95. The series 2 ran from early '96 through to early/mid '98.

• 8 months later...

Also the S1 has an ignitor located on top of the motor at the back on the rocker cover near the firewall, whereas the S2 has the ignitor built into the ECU. Another small differance is the headlight backings, where S1 has black backing and S2 has chrome backing.

• 1 month later...

Also the Series 2 has a nicer steering wheel :P

Both the models have ceramic turbo's that y the first thing u should do is get rid of the stock one cuz it cracks easily and is weak.

• 3 weeks later...

There are some similarities though, i believe the 'different wing' on the Series II (think it's called an M-Spec?) also appeared on some of the series I (or 1.5) 33's as well. Plus the other day i saw the lower stock R33 Series I wing on a car that had the Series II skyline imprint on the boot, and not the panel of plastic. This may have been custom though.

here is something else for you, in 1995 there was a series II also, it had the series I front, but had the series II engine, dual airbags, colour coded rear skyline badge, updated interior, different seat trim to 93-94, not the same as 96, series II instrument panel, series II floor mats.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what my '95 R33 has, which is still a bit different again. Not sure when it was made other than 1995.

Series 1 - front bar, steering wheel, with airbag, interior (velour) but with updated pattern (not quite as dark), rear badge (clear plastic and silver letters, not colour coded).

Series 2 - wing, engine, boot lid badge (titanium)

??? - instrument cluster (I wouldn't know the difference), suspension

??? - grille (which I quite like) that's kind of like a rounded GTR grille rather than the slat style of most that I've seen. I think this was just a factory option though, I've seen very few around, and some '95 models with the slat grille.

NO passenger air bag

And while we are dumping shit on other people's Skylines, I would just like to say that the indicators on the Series 2 front bar look like huge blocks of Lego (blerghhh!) :)

I'm pretty sure the turbo's in series 1's & 1.5's (mixture of production model 1 & 2) Are ceramic, whereas the Series two turbo's were plastic (to increase spooling time). Think this is up on a Japanese website somewhere...will try to find the link.

everyone mixes answers to which turbo is which up

this is the difference.

the series one AND two exhaust wheels are ceramic, and prone to delaminating from the shaft, due to excess heat and resistance, resulting in bits of tubo stuck in your cat :)

The difference is in the intake side.

The intake wheel of a series one turbo is steel, where in a series two (and even r34 gtt) has a nylon wheel. this results in a quicker spool up.

the problem is not with the intake side of the turbo, its the exhaust, so if you had to compare the two, the series 1 turbo is no less likely to fail than a series 2 turbo.

ya wanna look at something that stuff everything ya wrote?

check out my car i have a 95 series 1 u think?

its a late 95 december actually some majority of s2 parts are in mine except the dual airbag like vvt and color parts at the back list goes on

Ive just about finished putting a motor out of a series 1.5 into my series 1.

dunno if anyone cares, but the clips for the coil packs are a bit different, so i had to swap them and the harness from my blown series one motor and put them in the series two, but again, dont know if anyone cares about something so trivial...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i know i've gone thread digging but i wanted to know if anyone has heard of a series 2 being made in 1995. not a series 1.5 but a full series 2??? and do people commonly find importers reffering to 1.5's as series 2???