SAU Community

5w40 Fuchs Synthetic Oil For Rb25

Simon-S14

oil_sample_westrac.zipWELL LAD`S HERE IS MY OIL SAMPLE`S,IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION FIRE A WAY.CHEER`S chuckie

Hey man, thanks for posting that up :D

Are you able to translate the information for us? I'm unable to understand what the different numbers mean.....:(

My oil is coming close to 10 000kms on it now and i'm keen to hear how yours went ;)

Hey man, thanks for posting that up :)

Are you able to translate the information for us? I'm unable to understand what the different numbers mean..... :blink:

My oil is coming close to 10 000kms on it now and i'm keen to hear how yours went :blink:

ALL`S WELL lead is slightly high but other wise sweet i will call westrac thurs & have quick chat but that`s it all good,i will take sample at 10,000 just to check,it`s all about trend`s so you see what has change look across numder`s & see what wear element`s are ie,Si =silicon,Pb= lead,.you must know your ELEMENT`S,read top of report,recommendation.Iam very happy with what is going on with my oil so it`s 20,000 km`s of my oil change filter at 10,000,.hope this has helped you with what you want.I will add as i keep getting sample`s done ok so over long term you will see what change`s.CHEER`s chuckie. PS good luck dude.

G`DAY LAD`S,I have just had chat with wetrac`s interpreter Doug Loder, very good feed back,what you have to remember is that CAT USE DIESEL so their base is on diesel not petrol,he has said that it is all very GOOD & i should be happy with what is going on with everythink, iam :( so as i said i will do 10,000km`s next sample & then oil change at 20,000.ONE thing he did say that i could go to 25,30,000 km`s if i wanted ?? i will not go over 20,000,i think that`s goood enough for me so GOOL LUCK WITH ALL YOUR CHANGE`S.CHEER`S chuckie.

G`DAY LAD`S,I have just had chat with wetrac`s interpreter Doug Loder, very good feed back,what you have to remember is that CAT USE DIESEL so their base is on diesel not petrol,he has said that it is all very GOOD & i should be happy with what is going on with everythink, iam :) so as i said i will do 10,000km`s next sample & then oil change at 20,000.ONE thing he did say that i could go to 25,30,000 km`s if i wanted ?? i will not go over 20,000,i think that`s goood enough for me so GOOL LUCK WITH ALL YOUR CHANGE`S.CHEER`S chuckie.

Hey chuckie, How many kms do you do weekly? Or every 6months?

I currently do about 10 000kms every 6months.

I've sent an email/enquiry to fuchs about what they recommend for servicing intervals etc. I used you as an exmple getting 20 000kms and the oil still being in good order and asked if it was ok for me to do as well. I brought up the issue of how many believe it is important to half the service intervals for turbocharged vehicles etc.

I hope you don't mind me using you as an example. No names or direct references were used, just "a person i know".

I'll report back with what they say. I'm keen to be able to run my oil for 20 000kms too.

Cheers.

Edited by KeyMaker

Hey chuckie, How many kms do you do weekly? Or every 6months?

I currently do about 10 000kms every 6months.

I've sent an email/enquiry to fuchs about what they recommend for servicing intervals etc. I used you as an exmple getting 20 000kms and the oil still being in good order and asked if it was ok for me to do as well. I brought up the issue of how many believe it is important to half the service intervals for turbocharged vehicles etc.

I hope you don't mind me using you as an example. No names or direct references were used, just "a person i know".

I'll report back with what they say. I'm keen to be able to run my oil for 20 000kms too.

Cheers.

NO WORRIES,I do about 500 to 700km`s a week so that`s why iam 20,000 kms pre change.NO short run under 10km`s i also warm car up start & sort my shit out (so it`s all way`s at normal running temp),i check oil every week just off dipstick feel between finger`s,don`t worry about colour of oil as it will blacken up,which is good as it`s doing it`s job,speaking to westrac has helped me as the TREND show`s you any change`s ,IF you have some where you can sample then spend the money it is a safe guard.TO see what`s going on is a great help,WESTRAC will be having a NEW service in 2 to 3 month`s,then they can offer better service on full synthetic,same as mineral oil`s,no more having to keep sample`s of all oil`s .so looking forward to that.cheer`s dude good luck with all you servicing`s,chuckie.

I've got a reply back from Fuchs.

I have put his replys in italics and bold.

It is as follows:

Dale,

I will try to answer your questions individually

Hi there, I have been a user of your motors oils. Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5w-40 in particular. I currently use it in a R33 Nissan Skyline GTS-T. And my oils change intervals have been of late around 7000kms. My current run of oil is coming close to 10 000kms. Now there has been much confusion and debate on how long it is possible to safely run synthetic oilsl in cars, and it is noted that it is possible to run synthetics up to 20 000kms+ in naturally aspirated vehicles with filter changes. There is a general arguement that turbocharged vehicles need the oil changed more often. Turbocharged engines typically generate more heat than naturally aspirated, however most OE turbo engines also have larger sumps, better cooling and specify higher grade oils.

However, I know of someone recently who was able to run the same oil Titan Supersyn on the same motor as mine(RB25DET) for 20 000kms. He had the oil sampled and report came back that it was good for those kms, in fact it was said he could of run it for 25 000kms. My driving habits in general are, short trips of 10kms or so per trip 2-3 times a day, with occaisional trip of 200kms about once or twice a month, with very little hard driving. I cover around 10 000kms every 6 months. My concern would be your driving habits, short run’s = potential for more moisture in engine (engine doesn’t get hot enough to boil off water in sump) + more fuel dilution from cold starts etc

The motor is in very good condition. So my question in particular is, How long do you recommend my oil change intervals should be with Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5w-40, keeping in mind that it is a turbocharged vehicle? Can I safely prolong my oil change to 20 000kms with just a filter change at 10 000kms? Thank you for your time. Kind regards, Dale.

In summary Supersyn will be fine for much more than 20,000 km in fact we have run past 50,000 km in testing but the danger is if there is fuel dilution or excessive moisture from the short runs. Only way to be sure of the oils suitability for continued use is to get it analysed. Unfortunately this analysis will cost you between $35 and $60 a sample, with Supersyn retailing around $12 litre it probably makes more sense financially to change the oil at around 10,000 km.

Let me know what you think chuckie

I'm sort of coming to the conclusion, that maybe you are able to run your oil for twice the recommened because of your regular long trips. But for me, i'm only ever doing small trips. So maybe 10 000kms is more suited...... Perhaps i should get it analysed.

Cheers.

Edited by KeyMaker

G`DAY Dale some good feed back form fuchs,it will never hurt to have an OIL SAMPLE,I pay $24,87 each time.iam sure that 3 sample`s just to see what is happening,SET TREND,do 1 sample a year just to check for the wear element`s then i will do that,TWO thing`s i don`t do are short trip i will let car get HOT normal temp,sometime`s car sit`s in driveway 10 min`s be for i drive off,I all so do minimum 100 km`s per day,so that make`s big difference to OIL life,1 thing that did shit me is HIS statment of $16 perlitre.IT`S NOT ABOUT COST.Finding out if you have bearing problem`s is good value.1 of my mate` got new toyota on start up rev`s at 2750rpm,he said is that right i told him no & got him sample kit.he talk to manufat & they said it`s ok,he showed them sample ,HE`S GETTING NEW CAR,IT IS A TOOL TO TELL YOU WHAT`S WHAT,GREAT VALUE I THINK SO.YOU KEEP CLOSE EYE ON INTERNAL`S OF YOU CAR THROUGH YOUR OIL. I HOPE THIS HAS HELP YOU OUT ??? DALE GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SAMPLING, as i said i will post new one`s up when i have the result`s ,cheer`s chuckie.

Hmmm interesting. I think what i'll do is change the oil this time around at 10 000kms which is coming up soon, but i will also send a sample of it off to get analysed.

How do you usually extract a sample from your oil so it doesn't get exposed or contaminated by other things? And what do you put it in?

hey guys

I have been using this stuff in my rb25 ever since i made this thread... and its seems to be really good! oil temps are always around 85/90 degrees flat out on the track, i havent done an oil change for around 3-4 track days and the oil is still gold.

for the price. i love it!

Man i'm so inconsistant with my decisions.

Ok my final decision is:

Filter change and top up at this coming 10 000kms.

Oil & filter Change at 20 000kms and a sample sent off for analysis.

I won't worry about sending a sample off at 10 000kms. I'm putting my trust in this oil. I'll see how it has done at the 20 000kms. Synthetics are supposed to be superior oils, so i'm going to treat it like one.

Thanks for all your help chuckie. Much appreciated.

Man i'm so inconsistant with my decisions.

Ok my final decision is:

Filter change and top up at this coming 10 000kms.

Oil & filter Change at 20 000kms and a sample sent off for analysis.

I won't worry about sending a sample off at 10 000kms. I'm putting my trust in this oil. I'll see how it has done at the 20 000kms. Synthetics are supposed to be superior oils, so i'm going to treat it like one.

Thanks for all your help chuckie. Much appreciated.

GOOD NEW`S DALE CHECK OIL WEEKLY WITH YOUR FINGER`S TAKE SMALL SAMPLE`S,MAY BE DO SAMPLE AT 15,000.GOOD LUCK,AS I SAID ANY TIME DUDE,CHEER`S CHUCKIE.

• 2 weeks later...
oil_sample_westrac.zipWELL LAD`S HERE IS MY OIL SAMPLE`S,IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION FIRE A WAY.CHEER`S chuckie

Chuckie, from your UOA. Pb (bearings) look abit on the high side, you should ask your lab test the Vis@100'c next time, that will tell you how much shearing or thickening over your 20k oci (oil change interval). Low Si (air filtration) is good though. A TBN (total base number) or TAN (total acid number) test will also tell you how acidic your oil is.

I would suggest you sample your oil at around 6-8k interval, if PB is much lower then it could be corrosive wear (from the high TAN in your oil) instead of normal abrasive wear.

fyi, high TAN are usually cause by depleted TBN due to long oci.

Your UOA looks ok but could be better with lower oci but one thing for sure, 5w40 viscosity is perfect for your type of driving and usage.

Oh, it would be easier to read what you are trying to say by paragraphing your messages.

"CAPITAL wording" online is aka to shouting, pls don't do that. :rolleyes:

WITH THE sampling that WESTRAC offer at the time i have been having sample`s done,THAT`S ALL THEY DO WITH SYNTHETIC`S,But they have all new system for sampling starting soon which iam looking forward to see the result`s of,Will be having sample do at 7000km`s,+ iam going to have a coolant sample as well,As i run pure coolant no water in system,So iam going to see what`s happening with that,Having seen a water pump that has been in a ute for 3YEAR`S,when he removed it i was shocked like new.so i will post up all sample result`s when i get them,cheer`s chuckie

• 4 months later...

Update time.

I ran the oil for 15000kms and chicken out. I dropped it and put a fresh drop of Fuchs in along with a filter change as you do.

I didn't send the oil off for sampling either, as I didn't really have time to do so or get a sample kit in time. The reason why I didn't commit to the 20 000kms change was because my travel time in the car is not long. I do short trips a majority of the time, so I saw 15 000kms as my cut off point.

I'm starting to conclude that maybe 10 000kms is just adeqaute for me and my driving habits.

Although I am quite sure the oil did its job just fine up until the 15 000. The car baheved just the same and nothing out of ordinary happened while the oil was in there for that long. It burnt no oil the whole time it was in there, and when I dropped it, it was jet black and no signs of grit/metal, nor did it stink of fuel or smell burnt.

And yes I know i should of got the sample done, maybe next time I will.

Update time.

I ran the oil for 15000kms and chicken out. I dropped it and put a fresh drop of Fuchs in along with a filter change as you do.

I didn't send the oil off for sampling either, as I didn't really have time to do so or get a sample kit in time. The reason why I didn't commit to the 20 000kms change was because my travel time in the car is not long. I do short trips a majority of the time, so I saw 15 000kms as my cut off point.

I'm starting to conclude that maybe 10 000kms is just adeqaute for me and my driving habits.

Although I am quite sure the oil did its job just fine up until the 15 000. The car baheved just the same and nothing out of ordinary happened while the oil was in there for that long. It burnt no oil the whole time it was in there, and when I dropped it, it was jet black and no signs of grit/metal, nor did it stink of fuel or smell burnt.

And yes I know i should of got the sample done, maybe next time I will.

well i have just change my oil another 20,000km`s,with a day tripto kalgoolie,1,300 in a day so i will post up sample when i get it ,doing tranoil as well this time ,may do coolant ??,but i think i will just change that seeing it look`s like it need``s a change ,i will at some time ample the coolant as well .i will post all result`s up for you all,good luck ,cheer`s chuckie + iam coming up on 100,000 kms so few bit`s to go on car.