SAU Community

JJR Coil Packs Vs Oem Vs Splitfire Vs Other

hi, i might be needing to replace my coil packs and would like to get a set that will perform and last... iv noticed that there are the JJR coil packs (which are nicely priced under $400) that iv read and claim to perform as well as splitfire coil packs which people have used for a long time ($500), will the OEM coil packs perform as well as these other two?

would like your feedback or any info on these coil packs or any prefered or recommended brands...

cheers

4drftn

I recently needed new coilpacks for my car...contemplated getting splitfires but went with the JJR ones instead as they were slightly cheaper...i can't compare them to splitfires as i've never used them but the JJR ones do work ok...they would have to i guess as they are newer than the standard 15-17 year old ones i had...not sure how long they'll last though...for now...its all good...one annoying thing with the JJR ones though is that Just Jap has stuck an annoying brand and details sticker on each of them which is a bit of a pain to remove...regardless...if anyone has any concrete results for the JJR coilpacks it would be nice to see...cheers...

Edited by limpus

+1 for this, i'm just curious to find out if the jjr's are good for relatively high powered applications i.e. 400kw'ish

i am interested in buying some but would like to see how they perform first... don't know if adequate spark delivery is much of an issue on rb's once u get high power figures

I ran my old factory RB25 coils to 369rwkw. So stock coils (in good condition) are fine, and many cars have made bigger power than me.

I recently just installed RB26 Splitfires for my RB26 setup, only reason is OEM coils are $$$.

JJR ones havent been around anywhere near as long as Splitfires (and other coils like FET), so IMO at this stage its hard to tell on durability under extended periods/conditions.

Its something that i would take into account when looking for parts as cars with Splitfires have been running for a number of years, JJR ones, lucky if its a few months i think they've been around for?

And no, im not in any way saying the JJR product is garbage.

Unless someone knows what re-branded item the JJR ones stem from? Which would provide more info

Or are they made by JJR themselves? :)

I ran my old factory RB25 coils to 369rwkw. So stock coils (in good condition) are fine, and many cars have made bigger power than me.

I recently just installed RB26 Splitfires for my RB26 setup, only reason is OEM coils are $$$.

JJR ones havent been around anywhere near as long as Splitfires (and other coils like FET), so IMO at this stage its hard to tell on durability under extended periods/conditions.

Its something that i would take into account when looking for parts as cars with Splitfires have been running for a number of years, JJR ones, lucky if its a few months i think they've been around for?

And no, im not in any way saying the JJR product is garbage.

Unless someone knows what re-branded item the JJR ones stem from? Which would provide more info

Or are they made by JJR themselves? :)

Completely agreed. For the extra $100 or so dollars ($510 from Slide or nengun), splitfires have been tried by thousands and you know they can make the power and last. The JJR ones may be just as good or even better, however until they have been tested, i know what i would go for.

any new coils, be they jjr or splitfires, are going to be better than old ones that are arcing out.

the jjr ones are probably ones that they have had made copying splitfires. unless you are chasing big horsepower i'd say they would be fine. if you are only running 250kw or below they would be more than ample if your stock ones aren't up to the job.

yeah, chinese stuff isn't that bad these days (depending). in the bike industry a very large portion of stuff comes from china, most of it good. it is actually the companies that specify what they want the determine whether it is good or not. if they want it to be cheap it will be crap, but if they are willing to pay a bit more they will get good stuff. it is just that there are a lot of people that are getting the cheapest made stuff they can in order to make maximum profit. which means a lot of people buy stuff, and it breaks, which then makes people think that all chinese made stuff is crap. but now china is starting to get expensive so people are going to india and indonesia and vietnam to get things made. taiwan used to be the cheap crap stuff but now it is where better stuff is made.

... in the bike industry a very large portion of stuff comes from china, most of it good.

Don't agree with this statement. All the stuff I've seen from China has been lower quality than the Japanese made stuff. 1/2 the price for sure. And China may make thousands of motorbikes but not that many make it into Australia.

Aftermarket gear they close the gap somewhat, but I won't in general buy china made electronics or important components.

I've got set of jjr coils in my car running 16psi

My std coils used to misfire a little bit with a 0.65mm gap

Opened the gap back to 0.8 with the new ones and no more misfire

Picked up a little off boost power too, from the seat of the pants dyno :worship:

And with a 1 year warranty they're not bad for the price

Very hard to tell just where parts are made these days!!!

Just cos' it has Nike written all over it----------doesn't mean a thing.

You can get parts from USA, Phillipines, Taiwan, China, Korea, Japan Thailand and it could have HKS, Blitz, Chev, Holden, Nissan, Toyota, NEC, LG..........you name it on the label. The parent company controls the quality [or attempts to], but that doesn't mean that other manufacturers can't do the same.

This thread will be a good read. Im thinking of going with these JJR coils when I go back to coil on plug. unless I just replace the commodore coils with MSD ones......seriously thinking of going the JJR option though.

had one of the guys who drops into the workshop use the JJR's and claim that he could run plugs gapped at 1.1 on em like they were 0.8's... that's something standard's can't do, and mean that they do pack a bit of a wallop. they're starting to sound like a real good alternative/performance upgrade.

i guess we might have to wait for a magazine to do a test or something to really know how they perform against each other, as said above some people are a bit iffy when it comes to chinese products but also as said above some of the chinese performance parts are proven to be a good option being a direct replacement of performance upgrade...

does anyone know what the OEM coil packs are priced at???