SAU Community

How Much For Blue Slips?

Silver-Arrowz

How much and what's involved with a blue slip? The MR2 has just passed the 3 months expiry date.

Going through the threads, some engineers can be real picky about things where as others are more relaxed about things.

BTW... free tip... there are two Bridgestone RE070's... virtually brand new at 7 Day tyres and Wheels in Granville on Parramatta Rd. Size is 235/40/18 @ $135 each. I know because I brought the other pair. The guy will probably start at $150 each but just talk him down.

Cheers.

$50 for a full inspection.

If it passes. Good.

If it fails. Fix it within 14 days.

They will go over the whole car.

Check for loose/bad suspension. Steering rack.

Ride height. Lights.

They'll go over and under the car.

Make sure your tyres are good and are legal for your car.

If you have an exhaust, get it checked for DB readout first. You may need an EPA one too, normally just DBa though.

Locks, make sure they work. Ign, make sure key can't be removed unless in "lock" Make sure steering lock works.

Tinted tail lights? Detint them

Illegal window tint? Detint them.

Cracks in window? Get them fixed.

Loose seats? Fix them.

Guages around the place, remove them. (Even if you put them back in the moment you drive out)

Usually, most people advise you to "offer" them something to fail the car on (IE, have a blown headlight or tail lamp)

They'll pick it, you replace it, you pass.

blue slips cost between $100 and $150 in my experience. but that has always been for newly complied cars. i've never let a car lapse rego so i'm not sure if there is different work involved, but I doubt it.

blue slips cost between $100 and $150 in my experience. but that has always been for newly complied cars. i've never let a car lapse rego so i'm not sure if there is different work involved, but I doubt it.

May cost different depending on where you go.

Last blueslip I got was $50, and then cost me another $35 I think it was to attach an engineers cert.

After my blueslip, I avoid having to get them done!

you are definitely not thinking of pink slips right? cause $35 is crazy cheap. I've never seen one less than $90 and these days $100 is cheap, most are $120+. Where is this $50 place? If not to far I will go there next time for sure. ;)

you are definitely not thinking of pink slips right? cause $35 is crazy cheap. I've never seen one less than $90 and these days $100 is cheap, most are $120+. Where is this $50 place? If not to far I will go there next time for sure. ;)
It's the price we pay in Wollongong.

In Unanderra (Suburb of W'Gong for those not sure) I paid $50 for mine, plus $35 for eng cert added, and a mate paid $50 just recently (4 months ago) for a blue slip in the middle of wollongong.

And no, not a pink slip. Both of these were required as full inspections after defects.

I'll go grab my papers from the car now, I think it has price on it.

Also, I'm thinking of PM'ing you in a minute re: GTR

Okay prices:

Identity check, safety check - including defect notice clearance, adjustment of records and LPG/CNG, if required: $48.70

Review of engineering certificate (design check) $34.20

If you want details of the place, let me know. If you are prepared to bring it down, be prepared to spend a WHOLE DAY down here... (Doesn't take him that long to go over it, just you drop it off at 9AM pick it up at 5PM and sometime during then he does it... That's the one thing that bugged me)

Where my mate went, for just a defect clearance (Was full AUVIS inspection also) cost him $50, they did it there and then.

Unfortunately they're VERY strict on stuff, and car must be in tip top shape.

With mine, I got nocked back on the intercooler hose coming through the guard, hence me engineering it.

Silver mate how u goin? I'm in the same situation as you....i know a place where i always get my stuf cleared in parramatta. Will be taking the car there on monday and let u know how it goes. Last time for a partial inspection it cost me $18, only defects concerning steering and major compenents require a full inspection even if the dumb cops tick full inspection for an exhaust or ground clearance defect.

Silver mate how u goin? I'm in the same situation as you....i know a place where i always get my stuf cleared in parramatta. Will be taking the car there on monday and let u know how it goes. Last time for a partial inspection it cost me $18, only defects concerning steering and major compenents require a full inspection even if the dumb cops tick full inspection for an exhaust or ground clearance defect.

Boy seeing you bring back memories of the motoconcept days at EC!!! ;)

Yeah that would be excellent if you keep me informed. I'm going to go tomorrow morning and talk to the RTA people and see if they can let me slip by. Everything's done and all I need to do is just pay the rego.

I paid $31 for pink today... so $50 for blue would sound like a bargin by the sounds of what they do.

Are there only certain places where they do blue slips? Because where I got my pink slip done, the bloke said they don't do it there. I'm guessing because they need some engineer to pick through the whole car or so...

WTF state are you living in?

If the cop ticks "Full inspection" and you don't get a full inspection, the RTA can throw you straight back out, and if the inspector isn't careful, have his inspection licence revoked.

There is a box for "partial inspection" I'd like to see this piece of law that supposedly says if you don't have steering/major components. The reason for a full inspection, is because the copper isn't knowledgeable enough on that area, so they send it to someone who is properly certified, and does it for a living, for them to pick it apart. If they say it's safe and fine, then the coppers are happy.

cool, thanks for clearing that up. I always just assumed a blue slip was a blue slip. I've only ever had them done after compliance before a car first get's rego'd. I've never been defected so never had to go that path thank god.

also depends if its an import all b/ slips on imports $116.80 standard b/slip $50.30

part in spection defect $18

full inspection $50.30

these prices should not vary.

Anyone that is paying more than that is getting ripped off and making the workshop lots of moolah.

It's a set price by the RTA.

May cost different depending on where you go.

Last blueslip I got was $50, and then cost me another $35 I think it was to attach an engineers cert.

After my blueslip, I avoid having to get them done!

in this case..where to get a engineers cert?