SAU Community

Aircon Regassers In Melbourne That Use Hychill Hr12 Gas

funkymonkey

Are you able to find out if anyone in Dodgy Darwin is using hychill????

Hey there noone,

Hmmm.... not sure. PM me some contact details (or call 1300 HYCHILL on or after Jan 7 or email [email protected] with your deets) and we'll soon find out.

Although there were never any regulations in NT prohibiting the product, the f-gas lobby managed to trick some public servant into writing a letter on NT govt letterhead discouraging the use of hydrocarbons in AC systems based on the same old bullspit they've been spinning since the beginning.

We've been fighting that one for a while now and the letter is soon to be withdrawn (if it wasn't already over Xmas).

The upshot of all that is that we haven't done so much sales work in NT as yet, however I know that there are shops in NT that use it... so let's hope there's one in 'Dodgy Darwin' for ya!

So PM me or contact HyChill direct next week and we'll do our best to help you out.

Cheers

John

I am very interested in hychill. My wagon (91 subaru liberty - r12) needs a regas because it has no gas left (and the usual leak check etc - it is 17 years old!).

I'm in sydney.

John, since you work for hychill, do you know any sau friendly people that are willing to offer us a good price?

Also, how much does a typical regas cost using hychill?

I've shopped around for a r134a regas for my other car, and the cheapest I found was around $50 retail.

Hi John, it has been a very informative and interesting read, question I have is what are the legalities of putting HyChill gas into a R134a system? Also would you be interested in being a guest speaker at melbourne car clubs to promote your ideas? Kev.

i paid $80 for my last flush, leak check and regas of hychill up in QLD. Also tested the minimum temps comin out of the R32, and with it set to FC (f**kin cold >_<) we went as low as 9 degrees. Was quite happy with it... in contrast the R32 I got after that was converted to R134a and it only went as low as 14 on FC. So the current R32 (yes I've had a fair few R32's) is getting redone with Hychill HR12.

i paid $80 for my last flush, leak check and regas of hychill up in QLD. Also tested the minimum temps comin out of the R32, and with it set to FC (f**kin cold :)) we went as low as 9 degrees. Was quite happy with it... in contrast the R32 I got after that was converted to R134a and it only went as low as 14 on FC. So the current R32 (yes I've had a fair few R32's) is getting redone with Hychill HR12.

can u shoot me a PM where u get mychill done in melbourne thanks

Hey - your signature says 'Racepace' is best. My cousin (Luke) works there. Do you work there too? If you do then, whoa, it really is a small world!

nah....i wish i work at racepace lol......i'm just a regular customer of ben...and he's done my car perfectly

Level 323 can you post up a pressure/enthalpy chart of HR 12 under normal operating conditions in automotive system.

I can certainly make one available when I get back to the office next week. There is one in our manual (which I believe is available on the website), but is only a guide (it contains intentional errors to keep copycats out of the loop).

As it seems you are an AC tech, I can make a more accurate one available to you once I get back to the office if you PM me your email address.

Cheers

John

Hi John, it has been a very informative and interesting read, question I have is what are the legalities of putting HyChill gas into a R134a system? Also would you be interested in being a guest speaker at melbourne car clubs to promote your ideas? Kev.

Hi KevO,

The legalities are fairly straightforward and the same as basically any other after-market product:

1. The manufacturer of the part is required under Australian law to warrant the product for the purpose(s) the product was designed. In this case, HyChill fully warrants Minus 30 (formerly called HR12) as suitable for use in R-12 and R-134a systems. In other words, if the gas is the cause of any problems in the system, HyChill is responsible (assuming the gas was properly installed, of course). In practice, this could only occur if the gas was somehow faulty (a production fault of some kind, for example).

2. The manufacturer of the AC system (in which the HyChill gas is installed) is still required by Australian law to uphold it's warranty on the AC system. The only circumstance where the AC system manufacturer would not be liable is if they can demonstrate that the aftermarket component caused the fault/problem, in which case the aftermarket component manufacturers warranty kicks in.

In short, your AC system is still covered by the AC system manufacturer (normally the vehicle OEM) warranty and the aftermarket gas is covered by HyChill's warranty.

I should point out that HyChill has never been liable for any warranty claims since its inception - it's physical properties, as mentioned before, if anything make the system last longer.

Australian law is actually ahead of the curve on warranty issues compared to many other countries. Associates in Malaysia and Indonesia (for example) inform me that there are much more limited legal protections for third party (after-market) products in those countries, and so the OEM's are free to commit highway robbery. In those regions, OEM's and their dealerships are known to go over a warranty claim vehicles with a fine tooth comb and will deny a warranty for the most flimsy of reasons (non-OEM approved fluffy dice???... sorry mate, you just voided your warranty... well, maybe not quite that extreme but you get my drift!). In many countries the OEM requires that they conduct all services, and if you sneak off and get a cheaper service somewhere else then *poof*, there goes any hope of getting a warranty claim honoured.

You might recall that third party workshops (like UltraTune) had a big stoush with OEM dealers over the very similar issue of scheduled vehicle servicing and OEM warranties. The OEM's tried to dishonour warranties for cars that were serviced outside the dealer network. The result was the same there - the vehicle OEM's could only deny warranty on a car serviced by a third party if they could prove that the third party did not carry out the service correctly.

Naturally, some OEM's have tried to point the finger at HyChill (and the f-gas lobbyists also tried the 'it will void your warranty' line from time to time), but those lame duck issues came up years ago and most people are fairly switched on about warranty issues now.

Another question people often ask after they've got the warranty issue sorted out in their head is 'is HyChill approved by any motor vehicle manufacturers'. The answer is 'No'. The reasons are manifold:

1. Australian warranty law is so strict that if Company A endorses product from Company B, then it can be construed that Company A is giving a form of implied warranty over Company B's product. For this reason alone, most OEM's will never give advice recommending the use of any after-market product.

2. There is a big battle going on between the massive f-gas chemical companies and the few natural refrigerant manufacturers around the world. Securing support of the OEM's either for or against alternative refrigerants is a key part of the battleground because some consumers listen to advice given by the OEMs.

3. OEM's aren't really in the position to provide correct advice about aftermarket products. Not only do they not have an intimate understanding of the after-market product, but they are also competing against the after-market product so any advice they give is potentially biased from the outset.

The battlefield is more complex than it first appears too. For example, General Motors staff were some of the pricinpal inventors and developers of f-gases way back in the beginning. Naturally, HyChill gets nothing but doors slammed in it's face when it tries to talk to GM Holden.

Some vehicle manuals go a little further (such as GM... which after my last paragraph should come as no great surprise) and have a statement in there that gives stern advice not to use any other gas than R-134a in their systems. But note the statement stops short of a ban - once again, thanks to Australian law which essentially prohibits bans without a valid basis. And the statement stops short of claiming that the vehicle manufacturers warranty will be voided.... because (for all the above reasons) they can't void your warranty.

Cheers

John

I am very interested in hychill. My wagon (91 subaru liberty - r12) needs a regas because it has no gas left (and the usual leak check etc - it is 17 years old!).

I'm in sydney.

John, since you work for hychill, do you know any sau friendly people that are willing to offer us a good price?

Also, how much does a typical regas cost using hychill?

I've shopped around for a r134a regas for my other car, and the cheapest I found was around $50 retail.

Hey manwhore,

There are plenty of AC shops in Sydney that are HyChill friendly. Call 1300 HYCHILL on or after Jan 7 or email [email protected] and the HyChill staff will get onto it. You can mention that you were talking to me (I'm known as 'Johnny' around the office because there's two Johns there).

Unfortunately it's a little hard for us to find out which workshops using HyChill are SAU-friendly. We manufacture the gas, but it's sold through distributors (such as Burson Automotive in VIC/NSW and Veale Auto Parts in WA, etc). Naturally we have to sell through distributors in order to make the product available over-the-counter to workshops. So we (as the manufacturer) are separated from the workshops by this arrangement. So it's hard enough to find out which specific workshops are using our gas, let alone whether or not they are SAU friendly.

I don't personally know any SAU members that are AC techs either.

A typical regas shouldn't cost any more than normal. The only thing to remember there is that the initial switch to HyChill may cost a little more, as the f-gas should be completely removed first (otherwise you don't get most of the performance and other benefits). As I mentioned in an earlier post, the best method is to not only get the old f-gas removed, but also flush the system. This will naturally cost a bit more than a 'top up' of f-gas.

After that, your ongoing costs should be lower, for the following reasons:

a) HyChill gas is a bit cheaper than f-gas.

b) HyChill does not break down to form corrosive substances. So your AC system will (on average) last longer.

c) HyChill gas develops lower pressures on the high-side of the compressor, which causes less load and general wear and tear on the compressor - prolonging compressor life.

I would presume that the "$50" price you got would be for a 'top-up' of f-gas, and that's about it, and maybe a fairly basic leak check. It simply wouldn't be worth it for the workshop to do any more than that for 50 bucks.

I hope this helps you get your head around the issues a little more. Contact HyChill at your leisure if you need to find your nearest HyChill friendly AC shop.

Cheers

John

Sorry KevO - I forgot to answer your second question in my previous reply.

Yes, I would be happy to consider giving some kind of talk about these issues. You can reach me at 1300 HYCHILL after next week. Ask for 'Johnny'.

Cheers

John

Hi John, it's great to have you offering your technical expertise to provide this information, thanks!

I think my R34 is due for an Aircon regas, it's a 1999 model, can you advise which type of gas I need? How much roughly am I looking at to get it done?

Hi John, it's great to have you offering your technical expertise to provide this information, thanks!

I think my R34 is due for an Aircon regas, it's a 1999 model, can you advise which type of gas I need? How much roughly am I looking at to get it done?

Hi GTTR34,

Your R34 will most certainly have been fitted with R-134a aircon gas at time of manufacture. HyChill's Minus 30 (formally called HR12) should give you superior results for all the reasons I've already mentioned in other posts.

The costs vary depending on whether or not you just need a simple regas or whether or not there is a more serious fault causing the drop in cooling performance that you are presumably experiencing, but it typically starts at around $50 - $80.

But do read my other posts regarding the recommended additional steps to get your HyChill based AC system running optimally and with the longest possible lifespan.

Cheers

John

Sweet. I've been looking to regass my aircon since I had to undo the gas pipe to fit my front pipe on my R32 and lost all my gas, but I didn't want to convert it to R-134. With Melbourne hitting 40 degrees, It's becoming more necessary. If there is a Hychill regasser in the eastern suburbs of melbourne, I'm there.

With Melbourne hitting 40 degrees, It's becoming more necessary. If there is a Hychill regasser in the eastern suburbs of melbourne, I'm there.

i second that indeed , south east or east suburbs i'm in too

damn wish i knew this before i converted my r32 to r-134a >_<

x 2 :(

Seeing as my air-con only worked for a few days after being converted & gassed.

I might look at changing over down the track... if theres any WA stockists? - Never mind, just saw the post further up :)

Edited by infamous_t