SAU Community

6 Speed Getrag Into A Gtt

Ok...

Change of direction here...

I might be able to get my mits on a Getrag gearbox, now there are a few questions I need to ask..

1: Would the gearbox fit right into a GT-T from the GTR?

2: How would I go about removing the 4WD transfer case?

3: Is it possible to fit a GTR rear diff to a GT-T rear cradle?

On that note, how could I go about buying or importing a GTR rear diff...

Thanks!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't give definite answers, but what i can say is if the getrag fits, after the transfer case if off, it'll need lots of custom work. Think clearances for the transmission tunnel, mounts, input shaft etc. You'll likely need a custom tailshaft. Are GTT LSD's the same as GTR's? That'll come into play if you're looking at a diff conversion. It'll be easier if you use the GTT diff housing and replace the internals with GTR gears, assuming they're different.

I think most of the experts log off when it's prime time :P

Edited by R338OY

Ok...

I might be able to get my mits on a Getrag gearbox, now there are a few questions I need to ask..

Thanks!

It could be done but the floor needs a LOT to work to fit the added box and cut down transfer. i do ALOT of cut down R32 and R33 GTR boxes for S13 and R32 conversions.

The cost of a R34 GTR box and transfer will set you back the same as a Quaife 6sp or similar in good second hand condition..... and they will bolt straight in without all the hassles.

pic of modded r33 transfer.

post-34927-1210896340_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
It could be done but the floor needs a LOT to work to fit the added box and cut down transfer. i do ALOT of cut down R32 and R33 GTR boxes for S13 and R32 conversions.

The cost of a R34 GTR box and transfer will set you back the same as a Quaife 6sp or similar in good second hand condition..... and they will bolt straight in without all the hassles.

Hmmmm, speaking from your extensive experience, how would a Supra Getrag go?? Obviously it would be minus a transfer case, as the Supra is RWD.. I'm assuming this would make it somewhat easier.. Have you ever done, or heard of a Supra 6spd being installed into a Skyline?? Otherwise, what would the availability of Quaife 2nd hand 6spd's be like? and cost?? Or lastly, would it be possible to fit one of those 6spd manuals from the late model Falcons??? I hear they go pretty well.. However, how would it go fitting into the Skyline's transmission tunnel..

Appreciate the help anyways!

Thanks mate,

Mark.

Edited by Marco-R34GTT

supra 6 spd or v35 6spd would be preferable and easier

however they question would be why you would do this . given the r32/33 gtr - 33/34 gtst gearbox is pretty strong , good for 350kw at the wheels quite easily your extremely unlikely to push the limits of that box in r34 gtt . so why go for the extra hassle ?

much more sensible idea as you already have the manual box is to purchase an a/m gear set cost 3-4k and put that in , would probably be stronger than stock getrag and no size , tunnel , transfer , custom issues to worry about

supra 6 spd or v35 6spd would be preferable and easier

however they question would be why you would do this . given the r32/33 gtr - 33/34 gtst gearbox is pretty strong , good for 350kw at the wheels quite easily your extremely unlikely to push the limits of that box in r34 gtt . so why go for the extra hassle ?

much more sensible idea as you already have the manual box is to purchase an a/m gear set cost 3-4k and put that in , would probably be stronger than stock getrag and no size , tunnel , transfer , custom issues to worry about

Well speaking of the gearsets, are they available in six speed?? Can I get them in Aus? If not, who can import them??

Also, in the event I did want to go to a Supra or V35 Getrag, surely it wouldn't be impossible to pick up one of these transmissions, would I need to look towards Japan? or would there be enough of them in Aus??

Edited by Marco-R34GTT

• 1 month later...

Well I've now committed to a 3.6 final drive for my GTT, I'm now back in the ballpark to consider my 6 speed options, I saw a supra getrag that went up for sale just a few weeks ago. That is now sold so it is a matter of just seeing what's around, either a supra getrag or 6 speed gearsets is what I'm looking for...

Any suggestions??

Well I've now committed to a 3.6 final drive for my GTT, I'm now back in the ballpark to consider my 6 speed options, I saw a supra getrag that went up for sale just a few weeks ago. That is now sold so it is a matter of just seeing what's around, either a supra getrag or 6 speed gearsets is what I'm looking for...

Any suggestions??

i have a 6 speed getrage 57kms from stock supra if you are looking

• 2 years later...

Internally the same. Too much f**king around for little benefit. It's not even that strong a box anyway. I've seen people convert R32 GTR boxes to RWD so I don't see why it couldn't be done with an R34 one. Good luck. Start saving.

SAY WHAT!?

• 4 years later...

Ok...

Thanks!

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but what Gearbox did you end up using in the end?

Cheers,

Glen