SAU Community

Building An Rb26 For Response....

Just a standard 33 box in a 26, but I haven't got the torque that you will have, no where near. The torque is what should be considered rather than the power. Just something to investigate anyway. You don't want to be smashing the box first up and have to wait to get one built if it's your dd.

I had better do some homework, thanks

XGTRX , I have looked some more and you are right there is a bang waiting to happen :/

Starting to find out a few things and one of them is change the Quad for something a bit softer and more forgiving on the box.

This is why I joined the site, to get help with things I do not know about or fully understand. It is a learning curve, it is easy not to look ahead at what some changes will make with something else, bloody cars, haha :)

Thanks Pete

Make sure you are looking up the Getrag box and not the Nissan 5 speeder, the 6 speed R34s have the Getrag box

HI Mick ,I understand that and I thought the Getrag was a beefy box but I guess when the type of torque I will have kicks in when driving hard, something will eventually give out.

Paul suggested to dump the quad and look into the Coppermix C Spec.

Looks like I have got myself into something, but all good :yes:

These boxes are pretty strong but no box will take abuse for long with this sort of torque, that said as long as you don't go slamming it throw gears ( especially at high rpm ) and don't drop the clutch for the floor boards it will hold for a while

Edit: and run the right oil, PM me about that :thumbsup:

Really comes down to how you drive it, a bit of machanical sympathy goes a long way

I have a triple plate in mine at the moment and other then the rattle its not that bad but I always load the driveline before giving it the sauce, a good twin plate would be nicer on the box and to drive, what Paully suggested or an Exedy Hi-Torque twin would be good

The Nismo 2-way is the tits, just look into a Quaife ATB LSD for the front

These boxes are pretty strong but no box will take abuse for long with this sort of torque, that said as long as you don't go slamming it throw gears ( especially at high rpm ) and don't drop the clutch for the floor boards it will hold for a while

Edit: and run the right oil, PM me about that :thumbsup:

Really comes down to how you drive it, a bit of machanical sympathy goes a long way

I have a triple plate in mine at the moment and other then the rattle its not that bad but I always load the driveline before giving it the sauce, a good twin plate would be nicer on the box and to drive, what Paully suggested or an Exedy Hi-Torque twin would be good

The Nismo 2-way is the tits, just look into a Quaife ATB LSD for the front

I do not drop it anymore , I did when I first got the car there are blokes on the forums that say build it and step off, but 5 minutes here listening to some blokes that had a brain I stopped that and always load it first.

Not sure if I should see how the box is with the quad clutch or bite the bullet and just go for one that is not as hard on the box.

you won't break a gearbox in daily driving, 400kw or not. they only break when being abused (racing, drag racing, hectic skids etc)

I do not think my driving is a real danger to the driveline. I think with the new set up I am sure I will give it some but not like a boy racer.

But one never knows, I thought my last mods would be enough but it was not , so here I am again talking about a bigger build, got me stuffed??

If your happy enough with the quad plate, leave it, they are only deadly to boxes if dropped from floor boards at full noise, but if you get a quad to slip under power you may as well pack up and go home :P

Yeh , just been kicking back with a red and thinking I might go with the build as is but do the Quaife Diff and see what happens, if something goes pop, fix it. I do not want all of these leftovers sitting around the garage :yucky:

Or pull out the weak links while they are working and get good money for them and get something to cope with your setup. Don't kid yourself you will abuse it once in a while and with all that torque it will go bang. Just search the forums and see that this is the norm.

Oh, I believe there is no doubt that will happen. :yes:

Trying to nail down exactly what I want and then what I need. I will try to do it smart by using all of the info you blokes give me and running it past the builder and I hope for the best outcome :geek:

• 1 month later...

Hi Mick, those OS88 look like the real thing, wonder what they are like on the street, I guess not too driver friendly but you get used of things after a while and seems like the norm :unsure:

Have all the parts ready to get the build going.

Decided to go with a Nismo Coppermix twin Comp Spec clutch , some of the boys said they are a great clutch and will be a little more forgiving on the box.

Also swapping the front diff with a Quaife ATB Helical.

Just waiting for them to get an RB30 Block and it can get started :yes: Stuffed if I know what is taking so long to get one :unsure:

Hey Pete,

They look pretty easy to drive, I have driven an Albins 5 speed and that would be ok as a daily if you can handle the whine of the straight cut gears, just gotta remember to get into first before you completely stop :D

The OS88 is helical cut so no whine :thumbsup:

The quaife is a good thing, I have one up front of my 34 and you don't know its there till you get up it then it flawlessly in-gauges and pulls you away

There is a dozen RB30s on eBay at any given time and some even come wrapped in a car :D

Taking long enough, this should have been well under way by now :(

Good to see this is still going ahead

So you cannot drop down a gear or 2 if you are not moving? I thought they would be like a bike? At least I will not have to worry about that but I love they way they boot through the gears :woot: Some of the boys there are going for the OS88 and it will be interesting to see how they like them.

I am looking forward to using the Quaife along with the rest of the build.

Never chased second hand parts for a car and to be honest I would not know a good RB30 block from a heap of crap :unsure: I will have a look on Ebay, but maybe I am looking at the wrong thing as I have typed in RB30 block and get nothing?????

It has been 6 weeks since I gave the go ahead for the build, I have everything ready, so I will just hope for the best BUT reading some builds on different Forums I am sure mine will be done and dusted long before some that started 2 or 3 years ago, shit I might be dead if I had to wait that long,haha :woot:

• 2 weeks later...

With the OS88 6 speed sequential, bear in mind that there is a 2 to 3 month wait on them ex-OS Giken as they only put them together after they have been ordered (and paid for).

I like what you are doing with your 3.2L build. Should be an awesome street car.

There is a guy on here in Perth with the forum username "chavey" who has already completed a similar build to yours in his R32 GTR but uses a GTX3582R turbo. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

HI Charlie, going to have a look at Chavey's build, thanks

I see Piggaz is just ordering the OS88 box , cannot wait to hear how they go as a DD and Paul's car should be a good test and I believe he likes to drive hard as he keeps braking things, sorry Paul :)

I dropped my car into the workshop on Tuesday and now the wait starts :(

After listening to you blokes I ended up confirming some changes to the driveline and will see how the Box goes or when it goes before I change it.Better start putting the $$$$s away

Gone with the Coppermix C Spec Twin(over 700HP), Nismo slave cylinder, Quaife front diff , modifying the Trannie and already have a Nismo 2-way LSD /back.

The boys said to try the Unigroup 260 10.8 cams as they will give me more air, Better springs and retainers, cleaning the head up, oversized valves. Staying with the PT6262 B Turbo (over 700hP), maybe a larger back housing depending on the results.

Just waiting to see how the Walbro 460lph goes when the tune is being done and work off the results

RB30 Block has been modified. Plus all of the other part to go with the Nitto 3.2 Stroker Kit to make it a strong motor all round.

Going to have to make it stop now, Piggaz suggested I look at the Endless Brakes as they are strong and still work OK cold for a DD.

While they are doing the job I am having the Haltech Flex Fuel Sensor tuned in with the build , just in case, well you never know what you are going to want in the future, I was happy with the way it was, well for a few weeks ,haha

It will be around 400awkw, no big turbo/s or big cams, response and linear power from the start to the limiter, well :/