SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

As the title asks........ what are you (or at least working toward) doing?

Hopefully none of this;

47.jpg

And hopefully this gets some juices flowing (thanks to whoever took the pic)

1006861us7.jpg

• Like 1

I hope to compete in Targa Tas and/or Dutton next year but it all depends on time (work wise) and the good old $$$. I will be competeing in my trusty R32 GTS-t that im currently building, just going to compete not going to win (that will be later once i can get the a gtr)

I have a lot of plans but unfortunately not a lot of them are as solid as I'd like them to be at this stage. LOL

So much depends on so many things for me. The only thing I know for sure is I'm doing Dutton W.A. in a couple of weeks.

From there many things are possible. If we do very well in W.A. and it means we have a shot for the Dutton National Championship I'll probably try and find the coin to do NSW in November.

However after Dutton in a couple of weeks my main motorsports forcus will be to do the Targa Rookie next year. But that also means turning the car into Targa Spec which will take time and $$$. So if we don't do great in W.A. I'll look into getting the car sorted and then depending on time and $$$ I might try and look at doing Mt Buller in November as a learning curve for Targa (I'd do Buller just to learn - not to do well which means I could hopefully have a more serious crack at Targa Rookie in 09).

But - and there's always a but - we have some pretty big things going on here at work and it may mean I won't have the funds to do anything so time will tell. But in a perfect world I'll either be doing Dutton NSW or Mt Buller in November and Targa next year.

I am hoping to compete in Dutton - NSW round in November in my R32 GTR, If that falls through will definately be competing in 2009 and hope to do a interstate round.

Would love to try a Targa as co driver or navigator but think I am a couple of years off that yet. Actually would love to just go to spectate!! :)

What is Mt Buller Snowy?

Greg was telling me Indy Rally in QLD was suppose to be pretty good http://www.motoringevents.com.au/tdc/index.htm its next month and half the price of dutton :thumbsup: wish I knew about it sooner!

Ok good stuff guys! I'm considering doing the "Tasmanian Tarmac Challenge" in October if I can get the new car sorted out, Mt Buller if funds/time allow, and really aiming towards Targa Tasmania again next year in April. Rally Tasmania in February is always a great warmup for Targa Tasmania, but I just can't afford to do them all, time or money wise :thumbsup:

Makes me think actually, I better get on a diet so the poor lil' RB20 can drag me up the hills. Nah, easier to get co-driver whore Timmay to drop down to a sparrow-like 55kg I reckon. :)

going well, wanting to get the car back together now.

you need to get the weapon ready to bring down here. Evens won't know what happened when it screams past.

but at mt buller the accident can be fatal as we learned last year. One of the issues with buller is that it doesn't run to tarmac rally regs so there are some very very quick cars competing there.

Kel is in the silly seat for Steve next year in the r32. I am wearing the cat suit and cheering along....will be a couple of years before we have the budget to do it against ourselves.

Andrew....I suggest you look very seriously at buying an existing targa gtr instead of de-speccing yours. Targa spec is very slow and compromised compared to what you already have, which means you end up with a car that is only useful for targa. Built 32gtrs are around $30k which is very cheap for the amount that has been spent on them. This is exactly why I have 2 track gtrs now.

Actually Duncan that was the plan but the new AASA rules for Targa meant my car isn't actually too bad. It's probably not as over the top as many people think it is. Ok so I need smaller turbos's and accessories and a stock cooler and a couple of suspension parts but thats it. The fact that things like my oil cooler and engine etc are all fine under the new rules means the total cost to get my car to spec is less than $10K. And I am comfortable with my car so it seems like the smarter option than starting from scratch.

Remember my desire to get into tarmac rallies is partly a desire to get away from the pointy end of the fields for a while and all the pressure and expectaion that comes with it. I just want to have some fun so if it means I'm not in the fastest car then so be it - I don't care. But I also plan on buying an R35 and using it as a daily for 4-5 years then once I'm settled into how tarmac rallies work maybe turning that into a propper fast tarmac rally car.

Again though plans and reality might not ever meet. LOL

Snowie, it will take more then 10k to get your car Targa spec. Your cage is dollars, turbos, race suit, intercom. I hope you are right re the 10k figure, but i think you can almost double it :D

Nope - I've got the quotes and done the maths already for EVERYTHING including cage, suits, kill switches, intercoms etc etc.

Take into account things like turbo swaps are going to cost basically nothing because the ones I have I can sell etc. So I'm talking total out of pocket expenses will be under $10K.

Cool, but i still think you are better buying another car. It would be horrible to see the R34 hammered by an off, which realistically is almost a sure thing. Not because of lack of ability, but not being used to navigators, not knowing your navigator combined with having a big, heavy powerful car.

Gee Roy, you worry too much :D

Plenty of guys have gone into it and never so much as dented a car after years. It's all about controlling the red mist and keeping a margin of error. Let the top 10 guys go and risk life and limb (and car), as most of them are either mega-rich or well sponsored. Snowy has a level head and is more than capable of running his 34 at 8 tenths or so and getting a result. Going in with the right attitude is the key, but of course mistakes can and do happen, witness Duncan's really bad luck. Eeeek!

Yeh you're right, slip of the brain there! lol Sorry Dunc.

On that suspension breakage, what broke? A 33 GTR broke a Nismo upper arm on day 2 this year and the other arm was halfway through breaking.