SAU Community

Bring In Cars From New Zealand!

Addicted2Boost

Hi Guys,

Most of the topics on here i guess refers to importing cars from Japan, but im thinking about moving to Sydney early next year and wanting to bring in 2 of my cars. Mainly because i have grown attached to them and 2ndly import cars in AUS seem to be quite expensive!!

So, in bringing cars from NZ, for personal use, and ive heard things like if u have had it registered under your name for 2+ years, then its tax free and alot of the hassles are gone? Is this true?

Im wanting to bring in my modded S14 and when its been 2 years under my name, my R34 GTR...

Compliance in NZ is very strict for imports, just wondering if you prove you have owned it etc in NZ with its road cert (Warrent of Fitness) would it be scrutinized strictly as with any new import?

How ezy is it bringing in modified cars? Here are some pics of my cars below ;)

200sx.jpg

P8070078.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

DSC01165Small.jpg

DSC01172Small.jpg

Edited by Addicted2Boost

We have heaps of experience with personal imports so I am happy to give you some advice. The first thing to note is that you are only allowed one "personal import" per person and for that car you will need to provide evidence that you have owned and used the car yourself for at least the past 12 months, this would include registration paperwork, WOF forms, invoices for repairs/service, insurance papers, speeding tickets, etc. ... you will also need to provide evidence that you have been in NZ for the last 12 months at least including all pages of your passport, etc.

They are very strict with personal import approvals for people coming from NZ because it's so east to move from there, so it tends to encourage people to try and bend the rules, so expect to be put through the wringer if you don't give them all of the paperwork up front.

Becuase you can only bring one car under the personal import laws the other car will have to be imported under normal SEVS compliance laws. The R34 is the only one that is approved for SEVS, so the S14 would be the personal import. For the R34 is would have to be a good clean car without major modifications, it would also have to be very straight without any previous accident repairs at all.

Don't expect either car to be cheap for importing because you will still have to allow for shipping costs, import duty, GST, compliance costs and registration ... if you wanted an estimate then please send me full details of the cars by email to [email protected] including year, spec, mileage, transmission, condition, estimated value, etc. and I will try to give you a ballpark figure.

Nice farrrkin cars!!!

Love the S14! :P

Anyhow J Spec has answered all your questions and I would recommend you speak to them for advice on getting your cars on these shores.

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys,

Most of the topics on here i guess refers to importing cars from Japan, but im thinking about moving to Sydney early next year and wanting to bring in 2 of my cars. Mainly because i have grown attached to them and 2ndly import cars in AUS seem to be quite expensive!!

So, in bringing cars from NZ, for personal use, and ive heard things like if u have had it registered under your name for 2+ years, then its tax free and alot of the hassles are gone? Is this true?

Im wanting to bring in my modded S14 and when its been 2 years under my name, my R34 GTR...

Compliance in NZ is very strict for imports, just wondering if you prove you have owned it etc in NZ with its road cert (Warrent of Fitness) would it be scrutinized strictly as with any new import?

How ezy is it bringing in modified cars? Here are some pics of my cars below :)

200sx.jpg

P8070078.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

DSC01165Small.jpg

DSC01172Small.jpg

Its really expensive, cause you have to pay the import duty, shipping cost, gst, registration and compliance cost. I suggest you to get only one car under the personal import law. YOu need to show all evidence and prove everything is correct and the law is very strict on the personal import approvals for people coming from New Zealand. :)

-----------------------

SERA

Social Media Marketing

• 5 months later...

Hi There, I have a car in NZ I would like to import too.

Does it cost more to import under the Raw's method, rather than as a personal import?

As a personal import is there a limit to modifications? e.g turbo engine, roll cage etc.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...