SAU Community

R34 Gtr Prices -price Projections?

What would I know? :google:

The reason the top end stuff will hold its value is that there are plenty of smart cookies starting to throw money at late model R34 GT-Rs, because they're the very last of the RB-powered cars, and things like immaculate V-Spec Nurs will be worth a pretty penny as collectible classics. Their prices may dip a little in the short term, but anyone dreaming about saving $35K to buy a low-km V-Spec Nur in a few years' time will probably be disappointed.

It always makes me chuckle when people automatically assume that all cars' values in Japan plummet like a stone. A case in point - I bought a manual 1998 R34 coupe with 32,000km on the clock for 1.3 million FOB, nothing worth noting apart from the fact that I bought it back in September of 2000....my point is that this figure would still be the right sort of money for that same car today - they really haven't depreciated at all. The only reason some cars have become cheaper to import is because the exchange rate is stronger, not because they're any cheaper in Japan.

ironchef, good projection on the NURs.

correct me if im wrong but are you saying there has been next to nil depreciation over the last 8 years (at least in the case of the coupe you mentioned)?? how can that be possible? Surely there is a standard depreciation rate in Jpn as there is everywhere else?

In the case of the R34s (and S15s same deal) is the strong market (from drifters) for manual RWD turbocharged vehicles keeping prices up. The high demand at auctions comes from the local market, but also from other countries right around the world. Cars depreciate in Japan of course, but some are always better than others, and they're usually the ones we Aussies like the most :P.

As has already been mentioned, some R34 GT-R owners have held steadfastly on to their cars for nearly 10 years waiting (and saving) for the R35 to come out, and so, despite the cavernous gap in price, many actually have made the jump up to the R35.

Having said that, I've heard a couple of interesting observations from locals (in Japan, that is) that they thought the R35 was a little too clever for its own good, and that there may be reliability concerns if they wanted to start tuning them, particularly with the gearbox, aside from the obvious warranty issues associated with mods. It's these guys who are selling their base model GT-Rs and throwing their cash at top-end R34 GT-Rs (and either pocketing the extra cash, or throwing substantial amounts at their new purchases) instead of buying R35s.

A lot of it will come down to what tuners are able to achieve with R35s, and what owners think of the long-term R35 ownership experience.

Meh, then again, I could be totally incorrect, but it makes sense in my mind. :woot:

Edited by Iron Chef

Seems like the 35 won't need much done to it looking at the times their doing atm. I alway think about upgrading to a 34 but the 32's go just as fast or faster on the track. Looking at the Australian car market I think the 34 will have to drop a little more as clean tidy 33 gtr with good mods are struggling to get high $20k's and any 32 over $20k would have to be immaculate with a long list of quality mods. I have been watching the car market for a while and the cars just sit on the net. Going nowhere. People with money who can afford to buy a 34 can afford to spend the extra 15k for a really clean example and the seller car afford to hold it until they get a buyer. But I believe for the average person who could only afford an average 34 they'll ask in the mid 40's. If you gave an offer of under 40k some of them would have to sell as they couldn't afford to have the car just sit around and pay interstest/rego/insurance on that amount of money.

I've bought a clean reg'd 32 gtr for $10k a few years ago and a complied clean/straight r33gtr for $12 last year so they are out there and becoming more common. The 34 gtr's will be next!!!!! Hopefully!!! Expecially once engines start to die in the cheaper examples.

Even though imports think the prices will hold. Cars are being sold locally for cheaper than what they can be brought in for with the earlier models lately.

Just my opinion. We'll have to wait and see.

As some have said, the cheap crappy cars make it all a bit deceptive.

A good example is the current state of V35's. You can bring in a V35 Coupe for as low as $20k, however on the exact same site, you will find the same car, with similar specs for $10k more. Why, becuase 1 is a genuine good car while the other for some reason or another is crap.

The problem is that at the end of the day, cheap crappy cars, drive the Aus prices down. Regardless of what is happening in Japan.

As much as heaps of people import cars, the vast majority of cars are still bought locally, so local markets dictate pricing.

I think Baron's R34 is a perfect example. An immaculate clean GTR which is probably worth a fair bit more than what he's asking, however with carsales.com.au being flooded with $45k R34 GTR's how can he compete?? Somone who can barley scrape into affording a $45k R34 GTR has no thought for quality and cannot entertain the idea of buying an immaculate R34 GTR for $60k.

I think Baron's R34 is a perfect example. An immaculate clean GTR which is probably worth a fair bit more than what he's asking, however with carsales.com.au being flooded with $45k R34 GTR's how can he compete??

It's easy to say that.. but if it was worth more, he would get more. Market dictates it's true worth, as a 34 owner im interested to see what he actually sells it for. that and only that will determine how much a good 34 gtr is worth today. I can see your point though nismo. Good luck with the sale Baron, will give it a bump if i see it drop off the first page!!!!!

LOL the ministers for propaganda are strong in this thread.

I have been stung but I don't eat at the table of importing vehicles for a living...

*rant

My car is worth half what I paid for it within the same year due to certain changes. That is the market YOU are in. The profit margins on importing certain vehicles are obscene. All I hear in here is the equivalent to waa waaa dady isnt buying me a beamer this year. The original post was somewhat serious... no need to push propaganda in EVERY SINGLE FREEKN THREAD!

*/rant

tell me one thing... why does a car that costs 80k aus in jp cost 170k in aus... its a business not a charity and fools will pay it.. i understand... well thats a business case I suppose.

It's easy to say that.. but if it was worth more, he would get more. Market dictates it's true worth, as a 34 owner im interested to see what he actually sells it for. that and only that will determine how much a good 34 gtr is worth today. I can see your point though nismo. Good luck with the sale Baron, will give it a bump if i see it drop off the first page!!!!!

:(

Yep, my point was that regardless of what the cars are worth in Japan, it's the market here that would dictate prices. And having the Aus market flooded with not so good cheap examples means prices will overall drop.

Also how much a single car sells for, in my mind does not determine what the car is actually worth, but more so how quick the owner needs to sell.

For all we know Rich may have just received his monthly child support bill for his 23 children and is a bit short this month :D

For all we know Rich may have just received his monthly child support bill for his 23 children and is a bit short this month :D

Poor Rich needs to sell his Gtr for a coaster bus to carry all his love children to his secret location where he has 9 wives and heads up his own religious cult!!!

^^ i agree late year though probably. 6 months will make a difference.

You can get them for under 50 without even worrying.

Given some are a bit rough and require a few thou on body work, relatively speaking its pretty damn cheap

Full detail, touch up etc etc and the cars some up quite trick. I mean, its nothing new... spend a few bob on a car that was very affordable, make a very nice tidy profit.

Importers would always have you believe the price is much higher than it realistically is, and the JAP market has EVERYTHING to do with the AUS market being the purchase price of the cars ultimately governs the resale, profits, margins and so on. To say it has little/no effect is silly.

Just look @ the price for GT-t's now... wonder why everyone has been selling up (or in the process of?) because the price is going down south very fast.

^^ i agree late year though probably. 6 months will make a difference.

You can get them for under 50 without even worrying.

Given some are a bit rough and require a few thou on body work, relatively speaking its pretty damn cheap

Full detail, touch up etc etc and the cars some up quite trick. I mean, its nothing new... spend a few bob on a car that was very affordable, make a very nice tidy profit.

Importers would always have you believe the price is much higher than it realistically is, and the JAP market has EVERYTHING to do with the AUS market being the purchase price of the cars ultimately governs the resale, profits, margins and so on. To say it has little/no effect is silly.

Just look @ the price for GT-t's now... wonder why everyone has been selling up (or in the process of?) because the price is going down south very fast.

I presume you're not talking about brokers, because we still make our broker's fee whether someone pays $40K or $80K for a GT-R.

If I wasn't worried about the quality of the cars I was sending to my customers, I'd be sending in 120,000km + R34 GT-R shitboxes for mid-high $30Ks all week long. The point is, if you're actually buying an R34 GT-R as a car to own and drive rather than something to make a profit on, then spending less than 3 million FOB in Japan is false economy, in my opinion. What's the point in spending a few thousand dollars less on the car itself only to end up spending an extra $5K just keeping the thing on the road?

There are a number of cars that are fast becoming cheaper to buy in Australia than they are to import from Japan - anyone tried buying a Soarer lately? Yet I still get enquiries about certain models, where people actually want to import something new to Oz and pay the extra money. Some people just prefer it that way.

Part of the reason low-km V Spec II Nurs, for example, will hold their value is because if prices keep going the way they are, the owners will be able to sell them back to Japan in a few years time and make more than they would selling locally, a bit like old Zeds have been going back their in their droves in recent years. Check how hard it is to buy one here these days, and now you'll understand why.

I presume you're not talking about brokers, because we still make our broker's fee whether someone pays $40K or $80K for a GT-R.

If I wasn't worried about the quality of the cars I was sending to my customers, I'd be sending in 120,000km + R34 GT-R shitboxes for mid-high $30Ks all week long. The point is, if you're actually buying an R34 GT-R as a car to own and drive rather than something to make a profit on, then spending less than 3 million FOB in Japan is false economy, in my opinion. What's the point in spending a few thousand dollars less on the car itself only to end up spending an extra $5K just keeping the thing on the road?

There are a number of cars that are fast becoming cheaper to buy in Australia than they are to import from Japan - anyone tried buying a Soarer lately? Yet I still get enquiries about certain models, where people actually want to import something new to Oz and pay the extra money. Some people just prefer it that way.

Part of the reason low-km V Spec II Nurs, for example, will hold their value is because if prices keep going the way they are, the owners will be able to sell them back to Japan in a few years time and make more than they would selling locally, a bit like old Zeds have been going back their in their droves in recent years. Check how hard it is to buy one here these days, and now you'll understand why.

I'm interested that you say above $3m is enough to get an ok 34. Most importers seem to quote about 10k on a car that expensive to have on the road, so I would assume that, that would still suggest 45k is enough to get an ok one.

A friend of mine is picking his r34 gtr today that he imported himself. Its a 99 v-spec with ~80k bayside blue, he claims its in good condition and is a perfectionist and it cost him just under 3m yen. I recognise this is not the norm though.

It's in the low-mid $40Ks. Good price on your mate's car, although he hasn't seen it in the metal yet, of course :) But that price sounds on the mark.

I have now Kristian :rolleyes:

This is the breakdown of the costs.

3 mil yen fob = about $30,220 aud

Duty - $2949

Sea freight - $1058

GST on import - $3337

Port charges - $142

Misc custom charges - $57

AQIS inspection fee- $196

Quarantine cleaning - $242

Customs agency fee - $160

Local towing to workshop - $132

Compliancing - $3500

Rego, CTP, custom plate - $1100

New battery - $340

Total - $43,433

Although I couldve purchased a car already here, I wanted a genuine car with genuine kms. None of this 20,000km junks i keep seeing around with no documented history, and certainly not genuine kilometers that's for sure.

My car has full documented history since new with real 69,000kms, 4 sets of keys, the usual Nissan manuals, and most importantly, an accident and rust-free car. Sure it has a couple of door dings and some bushes needs replacing, but that's expected from a car this old and with those kms.

Will be definitly getting a r34 gtr in the next year so hopefully the price continues to steadily fall.

Bad for you guys wanting to sell them in the future but good for buyers :D

Hey,

Haven't you heard of that new co-operative called R34GTR.com where every 6 months, each owner sells his car to another member for $85K to keep prices inflated !!

Very MUSICAL... LOL