SAU Community

R34 Pop-up Screen To Triple Gauge Conversion

R-SPEC

i think my pop up screen has had it, i had a dvd player hooked up to it and worked fine for months and now im starting to get this green screen display with asian writing everytime i switch the car on. from what i was told it says something about a chip error or someshit

it usually stays that way for a while and some times starts working again and some times doesnt. cant even close the screen etc, all your left with is a shitty radio which doesnt even get proper stations.

so anyway i'm over it and have now got the factory triple gauge setup instead.

what i wanna know is how do i go about installing it? i've taken out the screen a few times but dont think ive noticed anything that would plug straight into the back of these gauges....

any ideas?

Edited by R-SPEC

if you dont have the sub harness for the triple guage unit you can but it from nissan for about $30 i know because when i ordered the sub harness for my GTR MFD the guy at nissan asked if had a GTT cos he had another customer after the harness to do the same thing you are doing, i dont have a GTT but i have a spare dash in the shed which still has the sub harness in it so i know the part number.

I'll go down the shed tomorro n look for you what it is.

once you have that piece of harness all you need to do is cut the connector off the end that doesnt plug into the guage unit, lengthen the wires and and join them to the appropriate wires on your main guage cluster.

Or you can be anal like me and do what im doing which is pulling each pin out of the connectors, then using the old connectors from your screen unit that are behind the main guage unit and rearranging them, need to cut some wires still and join them to different wires from the main guage unit but it just means you still have a plug in between like it originally is. Its a bit hard to explain what i mean in writing.

I have a copy of the 34 service manual so i could work out for you which wires to join where if you would like.

Send me a PM and let me know if you want me to work it out for you.

I have worked out and written up how to convert from a GT to a GTR Guage cluster allready for my car, i have poasted it up here in the (Tut,DIY,FAQ) and the (audio and security) sections (accidently posted it in both) have a look if you feel like it cos i could type up something simalar if you like.

I have worked out and written up how to convert from a GT to a GTR Guage cluster allready for my car, i have poasted it up here in the (Tut,DIY,FAQ) and the (audio and security) sections (accidently posted it in both) have a look if you feel like it cos i could type up something simalar if you like.

Any chance for a link mate??? :P

When i say gauge cluster conversion i mean the main one with the tacho and your speed is the conversion that i allready worked out. I would have thought it just pluged straight in, but it doesnt, you still use the same connectors, just have to rearrange the pins.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...lu-t241719.html

When i say gauge cluster conversion i mean the main one with the tacho and your speed is the conversion that i allready worked out. I would have thought it just pluged straight in, but it doesnt, you still use the same connectors, just have to rearrange the pins.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...lu-t241719.html

So I'm guessing that is to fit a BNR34 dash (speedo/tacho) into an ER34???

Yeah, when i say main guage cluster im talking about the one behind your steering wheel.

Tripple meter- Guage Cluster - Function -ECU(Computer)

1 - - Boost Sensor - 47

4 - 54 - ILL (Backlight-on with headlights) (+ve) -

9 - 51 - ILL and lamps Ground (-ve) -

10 - 55 - Meter circuit Ground (-ve) -

14 - 29 - Ignition (+ve) -

17 - - Oil Temp. Sens. - 60

Tripple meter pinout

1 - - 4 x x - - - - 9

10- - - 14 - 17 - - - -

This is looking at the wire side of the harness connector, with the pins facing away from you. Or just looking at the pins on the tripple meter

(-) Represent free pin holes

(x) represent the clip

Sorry i havent worked it out for the other end of the harness (the end with just 6 pins, the one you have to hook up) might go down the shed tommorro and look for you but im shure you can tell by the colours which are which.

For the Main Guage cluster pin out download the word doccument that is on my LINKED POST on how to convert from GT to GTR guage cluster

The ecu pins 47 and 60 are...

looking at the wireside of the connector again, with the raised section with the bolt at the top.

There are 7 groups of pins, 3 on the left 4 on the right

47 is in the (6th) section and is the top right pin.

60 is in the (6th) section and is one spot to the right of the bottom left pin.

Good luck and I hpe this helps.

By the way you should be able to reuse the (Ground -ve), (Ignition +ve) and the (illumination +ve) from the harness that branches off to your old pop-up screen, if you have a multimeter or test lamp, but i have included where to connect them to your Main Guahe Cluster just in case you dont know how to do it, im shure you should though. the less wires to add the better im my opinion.

If you want a hand working out which those three wires are i could pull my screen out and do it for you. Just send me a PM if you want.

Tripple meter - Guage Cluster - Function - ECU(Computer)

1 - - Boost Sensor - 47

4 - 54 - ILL (Backlight-on with headlights) (+ve) -

9 - 51 - ILL and lamps Ground (-ve) -

10 - 55 - Meter circuit Ground (-ve) -

14 - 29 - Ignition (+ve) -

17 - - Oil Temp. Sens. - 60

Hopefully this is a bit easier to read. It looked straight in word. :P

Tripple meter - Guage Cluster - Function ____________________________- ECU(Computer)

1__________ -_____________ - Boost Sensor _______________________- 47

4__________ - 54___________ - ILL (Backlight-on with headlights) (+ve) _-

9__________ - 51___________ - ILL and lamps Ground (-ve) ___________-

10_________ - 55___________ - Meter circuit Ground (-ve) _____________-

14_________ - 29___________ - Ignition (+ve) _______________________-

17_________ - _____________- Oil Temp. Sens. ______________________- 60

Just trying again so i know what works for next time i try to make a table.

im pretty sure all of the nismo dash plug straight in with no mods so yes the same thing would work for adding a nismo tripple meter, but if youre asking about using a nismo GTR Main guage cluster in a GTT you will obviously have to do the same modifications as putting in a standard GTR Main guage cluster

Tripple meter - Guage Cluster - Function ____________________________- ECU(Computer)

1__________ -_____________ - Boost Sensor _______________________- 47

4__________ - 54___________ - ILL (Backlight-on with headlights) (+ve) _-

9__________ - 51___________ - ILL and lamps Ground (-ve) ___________-

10_________ - 55___________ - Meter circuit Ground (-ve) _____________-

14_________ - 29___________ - Ignition (+ve) _______________________-

17_________ - _____________- Oil Temp. Sens. ______________________- 60

Just trying again so i know what works for next time i try to make a table.

I wouldn't connect to the ECU turbo pressure sensor (47) it's output is scaled differently to the boost sensor that normally connects to the triple gauges, it will give false readings. Just grab a sensor off an R33, it sits near the fire wall in the drivers side corner.

Also oil temp at pin 60 is only on the Tiptronic GTt

Please excuse me noticing that was going to double check everything today cos it was late, have realised that the boost sensor i have listed is a different one, it is located on the read of the coil pack cover whereas the correct one if you have it will be in the drivers side of your engine bay next to the brake booster.

I checked the symbols that they use in the service manual and the sensor going to pin 47 had the same symbol as the one listed for the tripple meter thats why i thought it was the right one.

Also in the service manual it shows a sensor called a turbine sensor (only on tiptronic/auto- which ever one it is) going to pin 59 of the ECU... can anyone confirm whether that one is the boost sensor for the tripple meter, cos i would say its not as the symbol for the plug is not correct? just seems silly that tere would be 2 or 3 boost sensors.

im so confused!

i dont understand all this pin stuff :P

this is all i know

1. my car is a tiptronic gtt

2. i have a black thing next to the firewall wich says "boost sensor" on it

3. i've taken out the tv and the harness which contains 2 plugs and now im left with 2 female plugs behind the main cluster

4. i have a nismo cluster which has no boost gauge

a step by step guide would be ideal if anyone knows the process or has done the same thing before

thanks

Edited by R-SPEC

• 2 weeks later...

OK the Turbine sensor is something else on the gearbox (fluid turbine) it detects that the gearbox is in motion.

Pin 47 is the turbo pressure sensor, it tells the ECU to cut fuel during overboost, it's located centrally on the firewall purely a backup for overboost protection if the AFM doesn't see it.

The boost sensor for the gauges is the one next to the brake booster and doesn't go to the ECU at all, so there isn't a pinout for it, just a direct feed. If you skip to the section about the triple meter you wil see a picture of the other type of sensor where they do the pressure calibration test.

I'm assuming if you have the TV thingo you don't have this extra sensor near the brake booster at all, so in that case one from an R33 will do (same design and location and pins)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

I have just bought the triple gauges for my R34 GTT & now i need to wire them up.

This question is mainly aimed at Project GT4 TT, but anyone else with info would be appreciated.

Project GT4 TT, where did you get that harness for $30? I have the gauges & now i just need the plug that goes in the back of the circuitboard. I would also like some info from you of where the wires need to go. Thanks in advance.

after organising it all in my mind and on paper from all info i can find, it seems i am only confused as to where the boost sensor wire goes to. I have a R34 GTT with tiptronic auto if that helps anyone.

You can get the harness from some wreckers and i also got a quote for one from nissan for $40 but was going to take a couple of weeks to get in. You will also need to get a boost sender unit that goes on the strut tower near the brake booster. I am also have troubles getting mine to work as I cant find a signal for the boost or the oil temp sensor. DOSE ANY KNOW HOW TO SOLVE THIS.