SAU Community

Master Power Turbos Any Good

You can check out the thread I started about holset turbos not more than a couple of days ago to see my specific experience with them (HX35/40 hybrid and straight HX40).

I have also had a TO4e on my car (RB25 R32), and drove a RB20 R32 with a 2535 on it for a good while. A lot of my friends have holsets such as an HX52, H1E, and HX40 on RB25's and the last on a RB26. Other turbo's my buddies run on there cars are things like a 60-1 (13b), T88 (RB26), GT35r (4G63--the small one), T3/TO4e (SR, RB25, and RB20), Borg-Warner 258 (4G63), or N1's (RB26) off the top of my head. These are guys I hang out with and drive with a couple times a week. I also run against some of the local Okinawans with stuff like RB26 T88 S13's, twin TD05's on a 2J supra, and bigger stuff like that. I recently ran door to door with an older 4 door Aristo with a 2J and a T51 SPL with my current setup. I also hung on the back bumper of my buddies "togue" GTR with a 2.8L stroker, N1, cage, etc with my "laggy diesel turbo" last night up and down one of our favorite twistie roads.

BTW, I'm not trying to come off rude or arguementative either. It just riles me up when people attempt to espouse the "name brand" cause with no experience other than reading something on the internet. There are some really experienced guys on here that really love garrett and I can understand that. They reccomend them because they know they work well, and I have no quarrell with them. People attacking something they have no clue about, however, I don't like. A place to come and glean knowledge from other peoples experience, as well as discuss new ideas and thoughts is what these forums are all about, aren't they?

PaulR33--I just read your reply after I started my reply. I completly understand what you said and couldn't agree more. I am coming from a DIY mentality, as are most people here on Okinawa. I guess just get frustrated when people attempt to learn/discuss/try new things who would like to dable in the DIY area and others who do not want to try such things try and force there ideals on others, often with no experience.

Thanks for reminding me not everybody likes new things--that should help me keep more on topic and not arguing so much with some people :P

yea i c wat u mean, was stating that coz if read in the wrong context may have come across as arrogant. Its hard to be diverse with selection of such things here as there aren't too many choices out there, i would invite such companies as borg warner and holset to market their products furthermore in Aus, would make for a far greater range of options for more applications.

As covered though, one major reason i'd take a Garrett over something else is mainly coz if it breaks at least i can go and throw it at the person who sold it to me.

Ok just stumbled across this thread,

I have used a master power turbo, on my old VL. It was a To4E turbo with external wastegate rated around 500 - 600 hp.

power didnt kick in till about 55kays, but it spun the wheels at 70 - 80 on a dry road ( straight line). I ws very happy considering It only cost me about 400 bucks. I had it for a couple of years running 12 psi . I think the only prob is the shaft is a bit smaller than garretts, etc and it was starting to get a very little bit of sideways movement after 2 years. But for what it cost me i was happy.

FTR they are made in Brazil , you can visit their website for the specs.

Keep in mind that the way it ran may not be the same on a skyline due to the differences in setups.

Blimey!! What have I started! I am loving the replies from CJmartz! Rattled a few cages there buddy! Man after my own heart! PaulR33 you also make some good points. I am all for a bit of DIY hence I said I like doing things 'unconventionally' you can call it cheap if you like but I like to think about how I can do something different for a start and get similar result to Joe blogs who can't be assed to do any research for themselves.. go to there local tuners and gets charged an arm an a leg for the best known turbo setup and all the work to fit it! I would be much happier findiing out about what 'different' setups people have tried with success and how much was involved.. Although I am perfectly happy to work out the latter myself once I have a turbo and manifold to start with..

I am in the UK by the way so pretty much what ever route I go will be overseas as you get ripped off rotten for anything in this country!

I started the thread as I had heard that some of the US 'named brands' had reasonable reputations unlike the 'cheap no name chinese rubbish. I was also aware that MP are actually made in Brazil.

I initially spent a lot of time exploring the Holset units and a bit on Borg Warner.. Shame about these companies is if you try and talk to them they are not really interested in marketing their turbo's for performance uses.. I think BW are more recently coming around to that way of thinking the more guy's start experimenting with them and getting good results. But Holset.. No chance they litterally put the phone down as soon as you mention petrol and performance!

I think it's either the H1E or HX40 being the way to go there in what I read..

The this guy piped up about Master Power in the US and said he has buil/tuned a lolad of cars using them like skyines and Rotaries and they are great stuff.. If you size them right they spool quick and make great power? So really I was trying to find some first hand experiences to confirm this or say.. No I had one and it went bang after a few weeks or something.

Everyone is entitled to opinions but at the end of the day it is facts we are looking for and as has been said on here by other people.. Not just regurgitating what you cousins, unlces friend said!

That said I appreciate al the replies!

I hear ya about them not giving out a lot of info on their turbo's. Holset is the OEM supplier for Every Dodge Cummins diesel, as well as a whole bunch of volvo semi trucks and a slew of others. These things are built to go hundreds of thousands of miles at 2 bar or higher. Seeing as how they supply so many Original Equipment Manufactures, they have little interest in a relativly small number of people wanting to use them for a purpose they were not intened for. BTW, they are manufactured in Hudersfield England, so maybe they aren't as hard to get as you thought :D

The Borg-Warner's are another diesel OEM, but they offer more information and support than holset, and there is a considerable aftermarket following for them. MANY people in the states are removing GT series garretts and putting BW's on. They are real performers, especially the ones with "extended tip technology". In general, they usually outflow the similar sized holsets by a couple of lb/min and spool just a touch quicker. They do cost similar prices for the new "ETT" ones as a GT series garrett though. I'll give up a couple hundred RPM of spool time and 20hp for a turbo that costs $200USD, not $1700USD for my purposes.

so can we buy these locally in Aus?

I see their oil cooled....what about water? they dont need water lines to and from?

is there much in making the manifold fit? Not so concernd about the dump.

not sure,but can you get say the HX35 with internal wastegate?

cheers

The Borg-Warner's are another diesel OEM, but they offer more information and support than holset, and there is a considerable aftermarket following for them. MANY people in the states are removing GT series garretts and putting BW's on. They are real performers, especially the ones with "extended tip technology".

Yes, have seen a few comparo's between the Borg Warner S256 / S258 vs the GT3076R's they're looking very promising. Would like to find a distributor locally for these as it isnt cost effective to buy these from the US right now (been gathering prices for these the last few days :D). From what I can work out KKK & Schwitzer have now merged and they are producing all their turbo's under the Borg Warner flag.

Here is the Borg Warner S256 compressor map:

s256_comp_map.jpg

so can we buy these locally in Aus?

I see their oil cooled....what about water? they dont need water lines to and from?

is there much in making the manifold fit? Not so concernd about the dump.

not sure,but can you get say the HX35 with internal wastegate?

cheers

I'm not sure if you guys can get them down there or not locally. Do you all have Dodge Cummins pick up trucks running around down there? American ebay would be your best bet, but shipping would probably be a bit more than the standard $50 or so dollars I pay to get it here to japan.

They are oil cooled, no water lines. No manifold with these. That would be an RB specific item, although HX35 are all (I believe) T3 flanged, so the will likely bolt right up. I bolted a HX40 up to a stock manifold, but it was just sitting on the floor, not in the car.

The 4G63 guys use their internaly gated custom housings from Bullseye Performance, which they also make in a T3 flange, so if you want to stay internal, I'd look at that. I'm not sure to many people try using the stock housing like that, but I have heard of some. Plan on running a lot of boost though. I don't think the internal gate will flow enough to keep it under 1.5 bar plus on the stock housing. That's just what I've heard though. I'd honestly go external gate if I were you.

Chris you are a pool of information :( .

i have been doing a bit of research and it does seem that the borg warner comes out on top, however if you look at ebay US i dont think youll find a decent one for less than like 800buks as opposed to a hx35 holset that i have just found that is currently 160buks. bang for buck, easily the holset, and repair kits are only like 70buks.

shipping is a b#tch tho, 250USD to get one to here according to one seller.

chris how much is one to japan?

Cheers

Gezza

nice reply paul... basically what i really couldn't be bothered typing :/

although i am of the opinion that bolt on kits are also better for a stock lil motor like mine cause i could NEVER do the king of research hks can.

when they make say the 2835 pro s kit which i am currently running for example, they have tested 1,000,000,000 combinations and decided this to be the best.

i'd rather utilise (and yes... pay for) their r&d and reap the rewards... i.e. it fit first time, spools up like stock, makes big power and i have no worries about breaking... hence...

turn key, foot to floor, krush kill destroy, turn off... next day, repeat :(

See I missed a load of replies again! Bugger!

Holset.. would be my choice if I went that route.. Defo as CJmartz says punch for pound and cheap rebuilds you couldn't beat it.. You mention they are made in England.. I have actually tried speaking to them hence I know how un-interested they are in the performance market.. Even so.. I could buy one from the US and ship it over here for less than I could ever get one here in the UK! For the same prices I could geta brand spanking Master Power!? My only hope of a cheap one here would be getting a smacked up truck in a breakers but I don't know of any truck breakers anywhere near me and not sure which models they are fitted to.

From what I researched the large housings are all T4.. the smaller ones are T3 with internal gates. As far as I remember all T3 are internal gate but some of the T4 ones are external. BUt that said if it has a gate you can just weld or wire it shut. I also heard that the T4 fitment is not quite T4 and you need to tickle the manifold a bit to fit it.. The actual hole is supposed to line up fine just the bolt pattern does not quite match.

Someone mentioned about water cooling.. on my RB30 is that the only reason I need the water feed in the block to cool a turbo if it has water cooling? Well that's one reason to get an MP or a holset. I won't need to drill and tap the block!

Cheers

Lee

Master Power are made in Brasil. They generally make OEM replacement turbos for companies like Garret, mainly for diesel trucks, Catapillar machinary etc. They also make some performance turbos, which are old school technology, bush bearing turbos. They are a reasonably good quality turbo for the money. I bought in a dozen of them a few years ago and they made some good power on various cars. They are equivillent to the old Garret T04e turbos ( in design ). All the bushes, seals etc are interchangable with Garret bush turbos.

They are not anything like XS Power turbos.

If you contact them direct they are very well priced for the turbo you will get - but they are not a Garrett BB or Turbonetics equivalent

• 3 months later...

Saw this thread late last year but didnt have anything to add then. Ill be testing a few of these turbos to see how they go (on a 3rz hilux) so will post back results when it happens.

Thought id let you guys know that a mate is doing a group buy at the moment for the master power turbos (hes the sole distributor in AUS). Any turbo in the range for $900. Might save yourself a few dollars if your looking for a new turbo at the moment. Heres the link http://www.expressparts.com.au/proddetail.asp?prod=MPGB