SAU Community

M35 Manual Conversion?

zei20l

So I read this article about an AWD Z33. It has a stagea diff in the front, with the atessa bits also.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/featuredv...ld_process.html

Why cant this be done for an M33? pedal box, clutch etc from a V35, box from one also, all the bits a pieces thats are required.........

I dont think it would exactly be an easy job, but to me, might be well worth it!! im guessing cost would be a big factor.

i wonder how different the RWD box is to the AWD one? is it just the rear housing??

im just speculating here.... ohh and wishing lol

Edited by zei20l

yup thats probably it. and it would have been NA as well.

its entirely possible that they never had a manual option as the box may not have been able to handle the torque of the VQ25DET?

yup thats probably it. and it would have been NA as well.

its entirely possible that they never had a manual option as the box may not have been able to handle the torque of the VQ25DET?

Hi Ian

Talk to Jetwreck when he gets back from Hol's. I think he has some ideas about doing this.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by andy65b

Was there no manual M35 Stagea? I saw one on Yahoo Auctions a while back and it looked factory. I just assumed it was. Maybe it was RWD.

The Stagea 350s came in a 6 speed manual, it was an Autech version. I reckon if you could get that in your VQ25DET it would be sweet....if you can get it in.......if it is suitable....if it was cheap enough ...so many if's

Jules

i rekon converting to RWD would be piss easy. compared to keeping the AWD driveline i mean lol

but i dont see how it cant be done!!!

Yeah, but why would you want to go back to RWD?

350S was AWD.

ohh no i dont want to go RWD, im staying AWD. im just saying compared to AWD, converting to RWD manual would be easy!

350S was AWD? but manual??

I do believed so... but all I can find now is pages like this stating it as a FR platform

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?h...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

Damn it.

I do believed so... but all I can find now is pages like this stating it as a FR platform

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?h...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

Damn it.

Just had a look at that page, and it's listed the Axis 350-S using the GH-M35 chassis code, with no "N" in there, so it looks like it's RWD only... The info could be incomplete and/or incorrect, though.

Hi Ian,

I'm currently looking into this.....best option from what I can see as we basically have the R34 GTR driveline is the Getrag out of an R34. The biggest problem from what I can see is the bell housing and input shaft. I am hoping that the 350Z bellhousing will bolt up to the box but am still to confirm. Seems like a big hassle at the moment but if I can nut out the kit it should all fall into place....hopefully :happy:

The other option I am looking into is to dress up the gearbox with a better shift kit, bigger oil cooler, stall converter and maybe a manual valve body.....also putting in paddle shifters....could be the option as you would get it done for under $2,000 and if you have the resources from your own garage.

anyway have to go my boss want me to go and get pizza!

cheers

Craig

Edited by Jetwreck

well, you do it first craig and ill think about it :)

nah id like to keep the auto if possible, but im prepared to go manual if there isnt TOO much trouble.

but getting the auto box shifting a little faster would be nice!

paddle shifter is on my list already, im so lazy i dont wanna move my arm to the gear selector to change gears. yes yes i hear you, leave it in 'D', but wheres the fun in that?

• 3 months later...

hey just thought of something......what gearbox's does the Nissan Pathfinder come with?....is there a manual gearbox? If there is it should bolt up to our motor and probably uses the same transfer case.

Part number anyone?

I'm not really into 4wd but I would have thought that the Pathfinder would have a more substantial front drive than the tiny stagea front driveshaft. Maybe the X-trail would be more likely to have something suitable? If you are keen start off by having a look under a few Nissan 4wds.

Pathfinder uses the VQ35....same spec motor as the 350Z, V35 & M35...patrol is 4.1lt isn't it?

VQ40 in the Pathy.. and the Navara, both with manual or auto.

Murano is FWD based and uses the same CVT as the Maxima, so no go there.