SAU Community

M35 Manual Conversion?

zei20l

• 2 weeks later...

Done all the pricing with the exception of the bellhousing for a R32/33 GTR gearbox(second hand box).....$2,689 but I would add another $500 for misc.

The only problem is sourcing someone to do a bellhousing.

Anyone???

Hey Craig,

was going to call today, i spoke with my friend, and he palmed me off to another friend of his, rd&g engineering whom he used to work for

he has mills and the like said either an adaptor plate or cut and weld a bell housing, said no price. as it would be a time consuming thing..

best bet would be to find a bell housing that would fit to the engine, and the 32 box.. said it could be possible.

not sure yet. might be good to think about another box that will take the transfer in the rear?

i will have a chat to him again. and see what he says.. its a tricky one for sure.

what about the imput shaft length etc? there are alot of variables to consider yeah?

does the crank have a cutout for the tip of the imput shaft to go in aswell? i've never really seen an auto box/engine before

not sure yet. might be good to think about another box that will take the transfer in the rear?

i will have a chat to him again. and see what he says.. its a tricky one for sure.

what about the imput shaft length etc? there are alot of variables to consider yeah?

does the crank have a cutout for the tip of the imput shaft to go in aswell? i've never really seen an auto box/engine before

I have not read this whole thread, but I will.

On Rb engines there is a spigot bush in the end back end of the crank shaft. When you conevrt from auto to manual you need to remove and replace the bush with the manual size one. They are just a brass bush, any machine shop could make one if needed.

Don't the SR boys cut and weld 2 bell housing together when they fit r33 Rb25 manual boxes to their SR20's?

Input shaft I have assigned money too but I wont be able to sort out until the bellhousing is done....should not be that hard(I say that now)

thanks for the input on the spigot Darrin....I am sure this will have to be made as well.

thats what i was thinking! it might be possible to add our current transfer box to the rear of the transmission?

someones done an AWD Z33 in the US. they used M35 stagea parts in it. front diff i know for sure they used. the transfer case looked familiar..........

Yeah i think it may be easier. but just alot of pissing about chasing information..

any links to this z33? it will be easier and cheaper in the end to work this way..

it is nissan afterall. surely they have used common parts somewhere here.

With a box designed for the VQ, you should be able to use the same starter with Z33 clutch and flywheel.

How far back is the shifter? Should be ok as they look to be the same chassis.

Also, I dont think mounting the transfer case will be as hard as telling the ecu and attessa to work with no box, too many bloody ecus talking to each other.

With a box designed for the VQ, you should be able to use the same starter with Z33 clutch and flywheel.

How far back is the shifter? Should be ok as they look to be the same chassis.

Also, I dont think mounting the transfer case will be as hard as telling the ecu and attessa to work with no box, too many bloody ecus talking to each other.

SAS re-flash may be able to sort that out.

May have to rip out the trans ecu though

what do you think will be easier? V35/Z33 box with a transfer case on the back, or your way?

6 of 1............

cheapest option?????? Is there a cheap option with this.....I am just trying to get out of a spec'd up Auto build for $3,500!!!!

I agree with you on the ease of the V35/Z33 gearbox......but you have the below issues:

Purchase of gearbox - My guess $2000 at least(good part about this is that it is 6 speed)

Purchase of Transfer case - Buy it with another gearbox and sell gearbox - $400 of your cost

Fitting the transfer case to the gearbox - At least $500

If the input shaft is different add $500

My way

Purchase of R33 gearbox - $900 to $1,200

Reweld for fit - $500est

Input shaft - $500est

All the other parts still have to be added to the above prices

This to me is a very doable project....lighten the car and get more HP ATW's......and get rid of the F#$King slushbox!!!!!

Defiantly agree with you Craig :D

I think the 32/33 box would be a good option. but just for ease i was thinking along the lines of finding something else..

Dont forget clutches also ;)

i'll have another chat with beau about the bell housing. unless you've found someone?

p.s. i had a puncture on the weekend. had some spare tyres from some gtr wheels i had. 215 40 17// i got them fitted without thinking on sat morning.

original 215/55/17 on the rear, and i have 215/40/17 on the front.. i had the smaller on the rear at first and was getting vibrations..

smaller on the front seems ok. but i know its going to drive the car crazy.

• 3 months later...