SAU Community

Dash Lights Wont Work....help

proRB88

Hey guys/girls,

2day I installed a head unit into my R33 and when I finished I checked to see if everything still worked. Unfortunately for me the dash lights stopped working, but the headlights still work.

At first I thought it was a fuse. So I started to check all the fuses (inside the cabin) with my test light but all of them were okay (they all made the test light turn on).

Then I thought it was the LEDS so I pulled them out and when over to my 12V drill battery, and tested them out. They were fine, they all lit up

Then I thought okay ill just reverse everything I did so I cut all the wires to the head unit and tried them again. Once again still nothing.

The thing I found weird was that I got rid of that beep when you leave your lights on or the key in the ignition (I have not a clue when this happened); I only noticed this because the car went dead when I forgot the lights on.

Can anyone please help me I really don’t think it’s going to be much fun driving around with no dash lights on!!!!

Regards Vlad

Hi,

I still think there is a fuse blown, when checking your fuses did you have the park lights on? You need to turn them on first to check for dash light fuses that is the only time they will make your test light turn on.

Try this then get back to me...

Leon

Hi,

I still think there is a fuse blown, when checking your fuses did you have the park lights on? You need to turn them on first to check for dash light fuses that is the only time they will make your test light turn on.

Try this then get back to me...

Leon

Hey Leon

i tried testing the fusess insid ehte cabin when the lights were on the on position, but still no blown fuse ill try agian, could it be a fuse somewhere else in the car?

Also does any1 have the fuse box diagram so i can see where to look coz everything is in Jap...

Vlad

Also check that your dimmer is plugged in. They are normally fitted here in AU at the time of compliance as many imports do not have a dimmer circuit, most of them are done dodgelly. If the dimmer is not plugged in there is an open circuit on the dash lights.

Also tell me if the outside park lights are come on and if you here any clicking under the dash when your turn on park lights.

two more panels in that car. one outside in the enginebay and one in the boot. there IS a blown fuse in there.

leon,

depends when the car landed if it has a dimmer of not. if it was done after 2002 then it will not have one.

two more panels in that car. one outside in the enginebay and one in the boot. there IS a blown fuse in there.

leon,

depends when the car landed if it has a dimmer of not. if it was done after 2002 then it will not have one.

Nah there is no dimmer that i could see anywhere, i remember looking for one when i fist got the car and didnt find one.

Also check that your dimmer is plugged in. They are normally fitted here in AU at the time of compliance as many imports do not have a dimmer circuit, most of them are done dodgelly. If the dimmer is not plugged in there is an open circuit on the dash lights.

Also tell me if the outside park lights are come on and if you here any clicking under the dash when your turn on park lights.

Aight thats one step forward (i hope)the parkers dont come on, and there is no clicking sound either....

I'm about 80% sure its a fuse but can i get told which fuse to look at or replace!!!

Aight guy

just found the problem, it was the fuse in the boot third one from the end (10amp),

NOTE:

make sure when installing you own stuff to make sure the earth you are wiring up is an earth and not a illumination:))

thank you guys for your help

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had this happen to me to. It ended up being the third fuse in the boot aswell, but you probebly didnt notice that this not only controls your dash lights but also your rear tail lights, I didnt even know they werent working.

• 2 weeks later...

Just incase anyone with a R34 does this. I blew mine aswell.

Fuse located in the enginebay fuse box.

Forgot which one though.. But its there :blink:

Dashlights and Rear Park's would work..

MRXTCZ

• 5 years later...

extra advice for r34 drivers with this problem, i done the same thing, replaced my stock head unit and then was constantly blowing the tail light fuse everytime i had the accessories on (stereo running) when i tried to turn my lights on, found out my problem was a ground wire overload, so if u take the wire from the back of your unit and ground it in a different spot it should be fine, worked for me! :D