Photo

R33gtr Gearbox Oil?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic
  • Car(s):R33 GT-R (SOLD)
Anyone know how much oil a R33 GTR gearbox takes?
I'm gonna go shopping for some Redline shockproof oil.

Is it worth doing the front transfer case too?

cheers.

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

• Car(s):RB28 97' V Spec Series 3
From memory the box takes 4.1 litres.
Cant hurt to do the transfer case while your at it!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

From memory the box takes 4.1 litres.
Cant hurt to do the transfer case while your at it!

it can when redline oil is so damn expensive!

thanks mate!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

it can when redline oil is so damn expensive!

thanks mate!

can anyone remember off hand how many litres of oil needed to do front and rear diffs?

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:02 PM

• Car(s):R32 GTR, NM35 Stag

can anyone remember off hand how many litres of oil needed to do front and rear diffs?

http://www.jaftan.com.au/skyline/oil/

I heard that shockproof may make LSDs a bit shuddery, which i guess would be like running a slightly tighter LSD???

Is R33 LSD at the front? If so make sure you use a compatible oil. If you not sure about anything give Redline a call.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

First rule in fixing cars. Check for obvious/easy stuff before rebuilding the thing from ground up.

Are you transplanting a VG30 into your car?  If you are, have you considered giving yourself an uppercut?

That's right bitches - StabTorials!! You too can do stuff!

GTR clutch change : GTR injector replacement

And:

NM35 Info thread summary, its stickeh!

• Car(s):1995 R33 GTR

Anyone know how much oil a R33 GTR gearbox takes?
I'm gonna go shopping for some Redline shockproof oil.

Is it worth doing the front transfer case too?

cheers.

Hi there,

So how much oil did you end up using? I'm looking at doing my box as well and I've read that they run anywhere from between 3.8 to 4.5L of oil (from various sources). I think right now I'm running between 3.8 and 4.0L plus a tube of Nulon additive.

Thanks,
Tom

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

The GT-R is like a condom... It's better to have one and not need it then to need it and not have one!!

• Car(s):GTR33

Hi there,

So how much oil did you end up using? I'm looking at doing my box as well and I've read that they run anywhere from between 3.8 to 4.5L of oil (from various sources). I think right now I'm running between 3.8 and 4.0L plus a tube of Nulon additive.

Thanks,
Tom

as Piggaz said above it is 4.1L but if you get 4L in, your doing well. or just drop the rear end of the car down a bit when filling, from memory I think the filler hole is toward the front so that should help..

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Ok fair enough, but god there are some different amounts on various forums hey? Claims range from 3.8L to 4.5 to 5.0L! There's another thread on here where he recommends exacted 1 US galon, ie 3.8L which is also what the Redline bottles come in.
I think I might be running just under 4.0L so I might top it up.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

The GT-R is like a condom... It's better to have one and not need it then to need it and not have one!!

Ok fair enough, but god there are some different amounts on various forums hey? Claims range from 3.8L to 4.5 to 5.0L! There's another thread on here where he recommends exacted 1 US galon, ie 3.8L which is also what the Redline bottles come in.
I think I might be running just under 4.0L so I might top it up.

yeah last time I put Redline in ( not Shockproof ) cost me a fortune, they only had the 1 gallon bottles, had to buy 2 Posted Image

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

Yeh it's freakin expensive! I wonder if you can get smaller bottles of it so I can top mine up to 4.1L?

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

• Car(s):'94 R32 GTR
www.performancelub.com for redline in little bottles

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Thanks Moodles.

Still a bit concerned about the two main oil capacities stated for the R32/R33 GTR's. You guys on this thread swear by 4.1L amount but mates of mine and some other sources insist on the 3.8L ( approx 1 US gal. business etc)

Where did you guys get the 4.1L from if I may ask? Is it just what you've been using or is it written up somewhere?

Worst thing about it all is that every time I've taken my car to a mechanic in town (1 box rebuild and 1 box replacement) I've only drained about 2.5 - 2.8L out of it (which is the GTST amount...sad!)

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks Moodles.

Still a bit concerned about the two main oil capacities stated for the R32/R33 GTR's. You guys on this thread swear by 4.1L amount but mates of mine and some other sources insist on the 3.8L ( approx 1 US gal. business etc)

Where did you guys get the 4.1L from if I may ask? Is it just what you've been using or is it written up somewhere?

Worst thing about it all is that every time I've taken my car to a mechanic in town (1 box rebuild and 1 box replacement) I've only drained about 2.5 - 2.8L out of it (which is the GTST amount...sad!)

just found this in the "Lubrications thread",, also spoke to my gearbox guy who builds these daily, and 2.5L would deffinately cause you issues......

For fluids the manual recommends
Transfer case (page CH-59) - 1.8 litres of Nissanmatic fluid D [approx. 1.8 litres]
Manual transmission (page CH-23) - Nissan gear oil MP-G special GL-4 #75-90 [approx 4.1 lites]
Front final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid GL-5 85W-90 [approx. 1.0 litre]
Rear final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid LSD GL-5 80W-90 [approx. 1.5 litres]

I have no personal opion as to the products and quantities; but I thought I would provide reference to the manual to round out the discussion.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

• Car(s):R31 Skyline RB30ET
I've got a gtst box, but would you recommend running that nulon g70 stuff with the redline shockproof?
Box seems to be in decent condition..

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

• Car(s):'94 R32 GTR
I've read Redline recommends not to use additives with their gear oils. It's not really a great idea either as I think the Nulon additive is PTFE (teflon) which shockproof already contains

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

I've got a gtst box, but would you recommend running that nulon g70 stuff with the redline shockproof?
Box seems to be in decent condition..

If the box is in decent condition, don"t run the Shockproof, thats a bandaid if you've got sluggish syncros etc, If it is in decent condition use a normal 75-90 ..

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

just found this in the "Lubrications thread",, also spoke to my gearbox guy who builds these daily, and 2.5L would deffinately cause you issues......

Transfer case (page CH-59) - 1.8 litres of Nissanmatic fluid D [approx. 1.8 litres]
Manual transmission (page CH-23) - Nissan gear oil MP-G special GL-4 #75-90 [approx 4.1 lites]
Front final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid GL-5 85W-90 [approx. 1.0 litre]
Rear final drive (page CH-125) - Nissan gear oil hypoid LSD GL-5 80W-90 [approx. 1.5 litres]

I have no personal opion as to the products and quantities; but I thought I would provide reference to the manual to round out the discussion.

Nice work ;)I'll have to have a look on the weekend

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

• Car(s):R31 Skyline RB30ET

I've read Redline recommends not to use additives with their gear oils. It's not really a great idea either as I think the Nulon additive is PTFE (teflon) which shockproof already contains

Had a read, won't be putting any in! Cheers.

If the box is in decent condition, don"t run the Shockproof, thats a bandaid if you've got sluggish syncros etc, If it is in decent condition use a normal 75-90 ..

Too late, lol just did the oil change in it.

But fair few people are running the lightweight and seem to be fine, even with decent syncros..

Sorry for the off-topic!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

• Car(s):R33 GTR Vspec Leone
Look into the NEO range of oils. Good stuff :)

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

"I give my wife a quarter inch at a time, and for those 10 seconds or less...I'm free"

Hey I've been trying to find the manual for this....so far I've only managed to get the engine manual and the normal glovebox manuals although that one is only for everything but the RB26! In what manual are the above details? I take it's a drivetrain manual of some sort?? Cheers man

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users