SAU Community

Gt-r Quarter Mile Times

Impressive numbers but i assume they test with great drivers and dump that clutch hard on redline; not the way we would treat our cars....well at least i wouldnt.

I know the r34 gtr's new turbines produce better low end torque to help with the launch resulting in the better time.

I couldn't agree with you more. Those super low times are almost certainly launches where the drivers have dumped the clutch from redline or close to redline. The clutch won't last very long doing that.

I think every owner does it a few times when they buy their first GTR to see what it's like, but don't do it again unless they go to the drags or track days. It's mechanical abuse.

• 3 years later...

I remember watching these old Japanese clips of some 1/4 mile drags with Skylines and other Jap cars.

The R33 did a best of 13.0 secs with other runs being around 13.1 and 13.2. The Supra did 14.0, RX7 13.5.

I believe under 13 secs is possible with the restrictor removed.

Hi guys..... I ran my 100% stock JDM at WSID (or whatever it is called now) about 12 months ago.......

I refused to dump the clutch and consistently ran 14.4-14.6. (Around 13-14 runs all up on the day).

From memory it was doing about 166kph at the end.

Tricked up HSV's were doing high 12's/low 13's with very similar terminal speeds.

My 0-30m time were awful as I basically just took of revving it to 2000rpm.

I've been invited to another private day in August but don't want to be embarrassed with similar times.

Are there any tricks that will improve my times without sidestepping the clutch at 6000rpm?

Thanks.... Bob.

Bob, get the clutch to where it takes up, sit just off it, get some revs up to get turbos wound up, nail it, then slip the clutch really quick... Doing almost this I was pulling 1.6 60ft on crappy Nexens (I was getting to the limiter first) and I am running a double plate. The car doesn't bang or shudder, it just sits down and wheel spins a bit at the back then launches. The photos I have it almost has the fronts off the ground.. ;)

Bob, get the clutch to where it takes up, sit just off it, get some revs up to get turbos wound up, nail it, then slip the clutch really quick... Doing almost this I was pulling 1.6 60ft on crappy Nexens (I was getting to the limiter first) and I am running a double plate. The car doesn't bang or shudder, it just sits down and wheel spins a bit at the back then launches. The photos I have it almost has the fronts off the ground.. ;)

Appreciate the feedback....... what about disabling the 4WD (pulling the fuse), does this make any difference or make it slower?

Haven't tried it.. But I would doubt it with Attesa you could still launch without it using the front diff, but once you overload the rears instead of frying them you get 4wd.

Exactly. Before you launch you should load up the drive train so there is tension and nothing is slack. As iplen said. What I do is get the clutch to the point when feel the car moving, put the hand brake on after it moves slightly. Rev to 5k on a stock motor and slip the clutch slightly and release the hand brake and clutch at the same time. No crashing or clunking. Might wear the clutch a bit but rather that than breaking something. Cheers.

• 1 year later...