SAU Community

Getting Out Of A Red Light Camera Fine

W0rp3D

bugger...your screwed then. If they have already nominated you.

I can still sign it over to someone else, i have had to go to the cop shop before and do a stat dec because they signed it over to the wrong person, i noticed on this one that it has all the stuff on the back to sign it over to someone else.

Usually if it's under a company name dont you just get with a massive fine? I think it was like 5x the norm? I'm not to sure but I know thats how my uncle gets out of them by putting all his cars under the companies name and just get ridiculous tickets, keep in mind this is in brissy

And this is not my company, the boss would not allow that, i would be happy with that if i could though.

Edited by W0rp3D

And this is not my company, the boss would not allow that, i would be happy with that if i could though.

Your boss sounds like a d*ck sorry if he's a good man be seriously, he doesn't lose out if you just pay the fine and he says he cant find the person driving the car during the time of the infringement

Company registered vehicles in Victoria have an infringement notice sent out to the company detailing the offence and requesting a nominated driver...if this notice is ignored then they send out a fine to the company with no points but much more dollars. On a typical 3 pointer speeding fine it is about $700 charged to the company. This said, if your company already nominated you then it could be too late for this without cooperation of your company. They would need to say that there was an error on their behalf in nominating you as the driver, and that given the fine happened so long ago they no longer have a log of who was driving. You've told us your company isn't the most cooperative bunch, so onto some suggestions:

Here's the important part...confirm for us that the notice has a visible mark next to "vehicle other than heavy vehicle". If this is the case, then the nominated driver may not need a truck licence to accept the points as civic compliance have identified the vehicle as light duty and therefore drivable with a car licence.

My other suggestion relates to contesting the fine itself. Given that the vehicle was a truck, you might be able to challenge the fine based on vehicle properties. I'm talking about inefficiencies in braking. It is possible you were carrying a very heavy load or that you hadn't driven this particular truck/payload for long before the incident and when you applied the brakes for the red light you knew almost straight away that you would not stop in the distance required. Instead, you maintained a safe legal speed and continued on through the intersection. This in itself is a long shot and will probably only result in a more leniant fine, but if you are going to contest it in anyway I would be focusing on this. At the least it is an argument for one's ignorance, versus one's negligence. A leniant magistrate might give you a fine with no points to preserve your licence, particularly if you plead your case that your job/family depends on it. Your driving history certainly doesn't help things.

I wish you the best of luck, but I have to say: I don't think this is the smartest place to be asking for ways to get out of an infringement. Now that you've had some input from members I'd be asking mods to delete the thread for you. Just like v8tzr should really save his triumph over the law story for the pub, because admitting that you lied to civic compliance isn't characteristic of being "older, smarter" :cool:

P.S. for interest's sake, saying you went through on a greenlight or even amber is not a valid defence. Unless the camera or sensor is faulty, the sensor is only active during a red light. There are usually two sensors, one just in front of the lines as you enter the intersection, and one on the other side of the intersection. You get snapped after going over each sensor and this is the reason ashneel received a 2 page letter with photos of his car detailing exactly how the offence was committed. The system is pretty bulletproof pending fault with the electronics. If you only go over the first sensor then you do not get a fine, even if you get snapped by the camera, because this indicates that you stopped just before entering the dangerous part of the intersection. If you go over both and have two photos taken, it shows the intent you had to carry on driving through the intersection and you will be charged. So remember, it pays to slam on the brakes even if you think you'll clear the lines by a couple of metres.

You also might want to request the service laws for the particular camera, I've heard their really slack with the servicing and apparently it states somewhere it must be serviced and tested periodically otherwise your ticket is invalid