SAU Community

Toyo 888 20 Inch

handbrake

Has anyone heard whether there has been any improvement since their previous disastrous pre release review which compared them against the stock dunlops?

anyone know of a local supplier?

GT-RR has them at $1600 US a set excluding shipping and taxes

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my thoughts as well. I've tried the 19s on a 35 and it was slower than the factory 20 dunlops. I can't imagine the 20s being any giant step up. they R888s are very popular and seem to work very well in the smaller sizes and on smaller/lighter cars, civics, little alfas, mini's etc they work great. even silvias etc they are pretty good. but as snowy said they didn't really hold up too well on 32-34 GTRs and with more power and more weight on the R35 GTR they were not great. just my opinion though and it's possible the 'new' 20s are better but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

• 2 months later...

Well the silence on the USA forums about this is deafening... the odd review that comes out shows there is no improvement running the 888's (except for the ocassional knob who reckons they run fantasic.. with extra lateral grip etc et etc... then you find out it's a review running on the street... ffs). One guy has compared the 888's to the Bridgestones recently (at the track) and has not found any lap time. So thus far, 888's are more expensive than stockers, and i reckon on par if not slower than the Dunlops. As per all of the above.

agree, if they had performed as people suggested there would be good data out there by now but there is nothing.

funny thing is the vendors keep selling them to GTR owners as the tire of choice to stick on all their aftermarket wheels, track and street!

people really have a hang up with the dunlops being runflats that they just cant get over for some reason - they mustn't be cool.

• 3 weeks later...
Well the silence on the USA forums about this is deafening... the odd review that comes out shows there is no improvement running the 888's (except for the ocassional knob who reckons they run fantasic.. with extra lateral grip etc et etc... then you find out it's a review running on the street... ffs). One guy has compared the 888's to the Bridgestones recently (at the track) and has not found any lap time. So thus far, 888's are more expensive than stockers, and i reckon on par if not slower than the Dunlops. As per all of the above.

FWIW Tony Quinn and Steve Jones were running the Dunlops in the classic adelaide. Only one GT-R was running the 888's and it was the least competitive of the three.... Not saying that the tyres were the reason it was slower but that the most experienced and fastest runners chose the Dunlops over the Toyos which must say something.

Just an update from the Targa guys.

Steve Jones ran the R888's at Mt Buller (came 2nd outright) on his R35 on the weekend and his feedback on the Toyo's were that they weren't perfect but they did give a more consistant feel than the factory Dunlops do and he'll be sticking with them going forwards.

Basically he said he didn't think they were any faster but he said they were more predictable and hence he could push harder with confidence.

• 1 month later...

Mick from Taleb Tyres sorted me out with some Toyo 888's. Dunlop's were not going to be available on time so took a punt on the Toyos.

Whether you are after the Bridgestone stockers, Dunlop stockers or the Toyos these guys have the best prices and offer good service.

Shipped no problem to Brisbane, Thanks Mick/Ali

gallery_56949_3654_50035.jpg

gallery_56949_3654_23038.jpg

gallery_56949_3654_9011.jpg

gallery_56949_3654_27036.jpg

ok weighed the wheels when swapping over

Front stock wheels and Bridgstones 28.6kg

Front HRE 590R wheels and Bridgstones 28.3kg

Front stock wheels and Toyo 888 26.4kg

Rear stock wheels and Bridgstones 30.0kg

Rear HRE 590R wheels and Bridgstones 29.7kg

Rear stock wheels and Toyo 888 27.4kg

Fancy 3 piece wheels 0.3kg lighter than stock. who would of guessed that!

20 inch nonrunflats save about 2.6kg over stock runflats per corner