Toyo 888 20 Inch

handbrake

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone looked into the Falken FK452s for the GT-R? They are 255/35 and 285/30 resulting in overall diameter of 680 and 687 mm. Apparently they won a recent wheels tyre test. They are lower profile than standard though. If theyre cheap and as good as they say they are then they may be a good option.

You could also match up their 305/25 with their 255/30 fronts for an identical diameter of 661mm however I'm not sure this would really help the balance of the car.

Edited by fungoolie

A couple other questions:

Does the lower sidewall height on the lower profile non run flat compensate for the stiffer sidewall on the taller runflat? I'm just curious as to how this will affect the ride/handling. If you were too look at this 30r/35f profile combo instead of the 35r/40f you suddenly jump up from having a choice of about 4 road tyres, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Pirelli, Michelin to about 40 on the tire rack website.

Does anyone know what rolling diameter difference front/rear the GT-R can handle?

Going down this route for a daily driver gives me the ability to buy a 300 to 500 treadwear tyre for prices ranging from US$119 to US$250 compared with US$400 for the Dunlop and Potenza standard runflats.

Also any thoughts on what your insurance company may say if you change to non run flats?

Thats why the base model GTR IE less run flats, leather trim and bose is lighter, but the manual says its only 10kg lighter.

Base model has run flats and leather. Only the bose is missing and they replace it with crummy gear which probably weighs very similar amounts.

My JDM base model 2008 doesnt have run flats or the full leather trim.

What did they replace the standard Bridgestone or Dunlops with when they brought it in? There is no GT-R model without full leather. Where is there non leather in your car?

• 1 month later...

any issues running these directional tyres backwards on a perfectly dry track?

QR is trashing my front left tyre.

I guess I am lazy and dont wont to swap the tyres on the wheels unless I have to.

any issues running these directional tyres backwards on a perfectly dry track?

QR is trashing my front left tyre.

I guess I am lazy and dont wont to swap the tyres on the wheels unless I have to.

Mark, we've run a few r-spec tyres backwards in the dry with no problems, to get a bit of extra wear from them. Also, changing topic a bit, with the michelin slicks, i dont believe they are directional (some slicks are) and the porsche guys tell me you can even flip them on the rim (despite there being an outside and inside, the outside merely has a rim protector on it).

• 1 month later...
Our Toyo 888 test tyres have arrived for the Willall GTR.....let the testing begin :(

Hey Martin, any update on the R888 test?

I hope you are looking after Trent. He has something special coming for my car I believe....

• 2 weeks later...

well after 30-33 5 x hot lap sessions at QR, the Toyos looked to be shagged.

with the COBB stage 2 tune I managed a 57.68 on the sprint today on the toyos. I reckon they are at least as good as the Dunlops

will be going out on the track with 18's next time and either second hand michelin slicks or RE55. have the slicks here so not sure if I will buy the RE55's - they aint cheap!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just find a place can order a set of 20" R888 in 285 & 315 $2900 landed Melbourne ( local toyo australia supplier ) few days delivery

is it a bargain?

I am not sure if that is great value or not. I know you can get a set of Bridgestones or Dunlops delivered for less than that. You may wish to consider 285's all round so you can rotate the tyres to prolong their lifespan.