SAU Community

Aircon/heater Fan Not Working In Car

FULOCK

hey Guys and Girls,

completely out of no where, my fan has just stopped working in the car (98 Stagea RS)....

no matter what fan speed, turn it on and off, whether i got it on hot or cold temp - no fan at all!!

If i turn on the AC - i can hear the AC compressor turn on under the bonnet, and if I set it to allow air in from outside its ice cold air coz the AC compressor is on....

but still, can't get the fan going, checked all fuses - nothing is blown?

anyone had this before?? i was thinking of disconnecting the battery incase something needs a reset....???

any help appreciated!!!!!

Often the cause is a failed resistor - saw a how to fix in these Stagea pages some months ago.

great!! Really sounds like something I really cbf'd doin at the moment!!!

If someone knows where it is please send me the link, I couldn't find anything...

That happened to our wagon a few months ago. First I took the fan out of the car and powered it up to a battery. Fan was ok. Then I went to fuse box in enginebay, found fan fuse and removed and installed a few times. Fan hasn't stopped since. All I can put it down to was crusty terminals??!!.. hope this helps. Happy boosting.

I've pretty much got the same problem with mine except once in a blue moon it'll decided it wants to work... No real idea of where to start looking for the problem either...

That happened to our wagon a few months ago. First I took the fan out of the car and powered it up to a battery. Fan was ok. Then I went to fuse box in enginebay, found fan fuse and removed and installed a few times. Fan hasn't stopped since. All I can put it down to was crusty terminals??!!.. hope this helps. Happy boosting.

Probably dumb question, but which fuse (whats it called) in the fuse box is the one for the fan??

I had a look at the aircon one - but thought that might be the one for the actual aircon compressor??

which one did you pull out/clean??

Happy Boosting to you too!! :blush:

post-30514-1267311549_thumb.jpg

Not sure of which one was the fix, it was months ago?? But I would go both A/C fuses and motor fan fuses. All I did was remove and replace a couple of times each. Did you check fan is ok, off a battery?

Not sure of which one was the fix, it was months ago?? But I would go both A/C fuses and motor fan fuses. All I did was remove and replace a couple of times each. Did you check fan is ok, off a battery?

well its not the fuses, I took out evey one, cleaned the pins with a bit of sand paper and put them back in, still nothing....

disconnected the battery for a few hours - nothing again....

can anyone please show me where the 'how to fix' thread is for the electric motor? all I can find is the how to clean your aircon filters... but not the actuall electric motor... is it also behind the glove box?? unfortunately its time to test with a battery as advised above and replace if required... :laugh: really CBF'd!!!

also anyone know where i can buy a second hand/reco motor in the northern suburbs in Melbourne??

Cheers!!

Edited by FULOCK

Easy to get fan out. Look in under glovebox, fan has 3 screws holding it in, plus power plug. CBF???. You will miss aircon!!

ok ok i'll look at it this weekend!!! LOL

I really CBF'd but its something I must fix, its my wifes car at the moment with our little one and the aircon must work - not good driving a little one around in a sauna!!

thanks for your help skidkid!!! :down:

Dude, its not vary often I can help people out so I am just sharing where I can!! Cheers.

ok so i finallly started lookin at it, took out the glove box, took out the filters (might as well clean them while im at it)

but now have no idea what im lookin at, which part is the actuall fan??

is this the plug for it in the pic??

and how do i take it out ??

someone please help if you know, i really wana try fix this today..!

post-30514-1268446571_thumb.jpg

No that is not plug for fan. The screw directly below your little finger in pic is one of three screws that hold fan in. If you take the 3 screws out, plus remove power plug, fan will fall out on floor if you don't catch it. Hope that helps.

Edited by skidkid

No that is not plug for fan. The screw directly below your little finger in pic is one of three screws that hold fan in. If you take the 3 screws out, plus remove power plug, fan will fall out on floor if you don't catch it. Hope that helps.

spot on!! :nyaanyaa:

Took the fan out, connected a 9v battery to it - seems to work fine.....

so tomorrow im gona try clean the pins in the power plug.... and pray that it's something as simple as that.....

if that doesn't work.... im seriously gona cry!!

Unfortunately it wasn't just a matter of cleaning the pins....

plugged a multimeter into the connector... its only getting 0.3v (which is sweet F**k all!!)

I would love some suggestions for the next thing to try....

or is it time to take it to an auto elec...?? if so, can anyone reccomend a good one in northern subs. Melbourne?

pull out anything to do with the electrics of the fan (maybe the control unit thingo)

open it up and check for bad solder joints - your still getting some power, just not enough

google what bad solder joints look like

if they are bad all you need do it heat them up a bit, maybe whack some new solder in and your done

its a common problem on 32's due to older age, guess you got unlucky

pull out anything to do with the electrics of the fan (maybe the control unit thingo)

open it up and check for bad solder joints - your still getting some power, just not enough

google what bad solder joints look like

if they are bad all you need do it heat them up a bit, maybe whack some new solder in and your done

its a common problem on 32's due to older age, guess you got unlucky

pulled out the control unit thingo - all the solder joints looked fine - went to wreckers to try plugging in another one incase the relay in mine was stuffed - and the dude at the wreckers reccomended testing the climate control resistor / heat sensor (what ever you wana call it.....)

so he grabbed another one from an R33 (looks like they're the same), plugged it in - and guess what...!!! THE FAN STARTED WORKING INSTANTLY!!!!!!! FIXED!!!!

turns out another dude a few weeks ago had the same problem in a WRX - and thats how he fixed his problem too!! :)

so anyone else has a similar issue - now you have another thing you can check!! :D

post-30514-1269071953_thumb.jpg

post-30514-1269072058_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

I've been having exactly the same issue. Mine seemed to start randomly when the temp outside got to 33-36 deg.

So ok, thought metal expansion/contraction... Also if i hit a decent bump it would come on.... thought number two, something loose..

Pulled the fuses and replaced, swapped out the two relays (behind fusebox under the dash), checked the loom etc disconnect battery.

Fan is fine, bench tested it

No Joy....

Now that I've located this thread, which im glad i did, thanks for the tips/discussion, im trying the sensor... give it a wiggle/tap/clean terminal fingers crossed, if not down to the wreckers to try a replacement.

If none of that works, temp fix,,, fuse/relay/on off switch and connect the sucker direct to the car battery!

(ps. use a multimeter to see how much amp draw and use select correct fuse)

Will let you know what happens.

I replaced my sensor today, also got one out of an r33 at wreckers. All is working again! so happy to have aircon back!

Looks like some of the older maximas/pulsars use the same one also, but someone had already removed them so could not compare..

im about 99% sure they be the same.

Had the same problem. if you open up that fan speed controller and unsolder the board, underneath there is a copper link that in my case had come away from the board.

Resoldered and problem fixed!!

Have a look and you might find its the same problem, You'll then have a spare one :)

post-86426-0-76513500-1454276504_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDM33R