SAU Community

How to turbo your N/A

i wouldn't bother with the RB20 turbo,

The only reason why is that a friend of mine gave me one and an RB25DET exhaust manifold. Both in decent condition..

I'm a uni student, just seeking a few extra KW to offset the slowness the AWD in my R34 gives me. It just need a tad more to be be enjoyable :-)

The Cams are identical, but from comparison it looks like the cam timing is slightly different. Inside the VCT/Intake camgear it actually has bolts to adjust it, my turbo cam gears have a different setting to that of the N/A. Once turbo'd, the dyno shows a bit of a hole on most N/A+T's just above 5000rpm, it is my opinion that it is due to that.

Do you mean the hole's there due to the intake cam gear not being adjusted to DET specs? I've brought my DET parts over to a DE and havent touched the intake cam/cam timing.. Does that mean there is power to be had?

This is my graph on stock management, it has a dip down low and up top, my first thought was that it was R&R but it wasnt. I later found out that the N/A and Turbo models also have different VCT points, it is my theory that the these holes are due to a mismatch in the turbo vct switch and the intake cam gear timing. If you look in the NA+T thread you can find similar graphs on NA's using the stock turbo ECU, but it can be tuned out for those on aftermarket management. This dip wasnt really noticible as far as power delivery was concerned, if anything it just felt a quick second surge of power right up top just before limiter.

I later fitted an SAFC which gained about 10kW once tuned but the graph shape remained pretty similar.

post-18637-0-97325600-1373430740_thumb.jpg

Edited by SKiT_R31

Working for Nissan parts helps. I had a look today and the r33 has definitely the same parts used throughout the head, even the head itself. apart from the larger rocker covers, its all the same.

However i checked the r34 and there are 3 parts in the head that differ.

• Intake cam gear (which we have worked out)
  • Exhaust camshaft is a different part number. NA-13020-AA010 Turbo-13020-AA020
  • NA use same valve springs 13203-5L300 (all 24 of them). Turbo use different valve springs, note 12 intake springs 13203-5L300 are different to the 12 exhaust spring 13203-5L700 on the turbo aswell, so they are using different exhaust valve springs but the same intake springs...
Edited by central coast person
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Almost got everything. Todays bits included a FMIC.

So far I have the turbo, intake manifold, FMIC. Got a high flow fuel pump coming soon as well as injectors (havent paid for them yet).

The turbo im running will be from an RB20DET. I will try it and see what it's like, i've heard a few people do this (low pressure, saab style) with decent results (a bit more power, no lag).

If not I'll just buy a turbo from an R34.

So far I have the turbo, intake manifold, FMIC. Got a high flow fuel pump coming soon as well as injectors (havent paid for them yet).

The turbo im running will be from an RB20DET. I will try it and see what it's like, i've heard a few people do this (low pressure, saab style) with decent results (a bit more power, no lag).

What else are you looking at getting? How much boost are you looking at running?

Apart from me not needing to do any internals as i rebuilt the engine with everything genuine internals (apart from ACL racing bearings) and went up with 40thou genuine pistons.

I've ended up going all out now and have got together:

Greddy Profec B

Greddy turbo timer

Stock R34 turbo, dump and exhaust manfold with all fittings and lines and bolts.

Stock Intercooler piping and BOV

Blitz return FMIC to match stock intercooler piping (didn't want to make a cut under the washer bottle)

Apexi super suction kit for stock turbo setup (not just the budget pod filter)

Z32 AFM

Greddy oil catch can and swirl pot

KoyoRad 52mm

Spitfires

555cc Nismo injectors

Nismo adjustable fuel reg

Walbro fuel pump

Exedy heavy duty

Need to get:

Apexi power FC and hand controller

Kakimoto catback, high flow cat and front pipe

(Maybe will get) Greddy oil cooler and relocation kit

About 6psi is what I plan on running.

Mines a bit budget haha (uni student).

I still need: Injectors, fuel pump, ecu and oil/water lines.

Did you get a exhaust manifold, dump and front pipe with the turbo?

I originally was going to run wastegate pressure but i got over the idea of running 5psi quickly. You might only be able to run wastegate pressure without a boost controller.

Keep us updated.

I've got a GT-Four too mate and am considering a DE-T as well

Keep us updated on how everything goes :)

• 5 weeks later...

Still collecting parts. If anyone has any of the following parts cheap it would help heaps!

Front pipe

Dump pipe

Cross overpipe

BOV

Oil and water lines for turbo

Greddy E-manage

Thats all I need now.

I've got the crossover pipe come to think of it. And a bov somewhere. Might have the oil and water lines but I think I threw them out.

*EDIT* Right, found the BOV but no turbo lines. Do have a Walbro GSS-342 fuel pump if somebody wants it though? :laugh:

Edited by Hanaldo

With the exhaust stuff, has anyone kept the stock G25T exhaust on with a conversion?

The post only lists front and dump pipe. Doesn;t say anything about anything from the Cat back.

Also is the GTT and GT cat the same? haha.