SAU Community

Engine Torque Dampers

Hey guys,

Has anyone used or experienced using an engine damper to reduce the "rocking" when applying power/changing gears etc?

Seen some on G35Driver forum and these are the most common ones:

Stillen Engine Brace - Mounts lower to the block

Weapon R Damper - Mounts to the plenum

The 6 speed manuals would probably benefit from this more due to the shock in the driveline though I'm interested to see how a 5AT would feel.

Cheers,

Peter

• 2 months later...

its more beneficial doing engine mounts instead of the damper which just moves the stress of the engine torque to a spot on the car that isnt really designed to take it. like the strut tower

Have actually bought one from the U.S and it definitely makes a difference to my auto 350gt.

Sure engine mounts are a more permanent solution though I like to adjust my damper so it isn't vibrating like no tomorrow.

youre also moving vibration into the chassis that would normally be taken up by the engine mounts :)

ive had them before on a few cars, to be honest it make 3/5ths of 7/8ths of fcuk all difference.

Never bothered with these before, my 180sx busted its engine mounts when it was throwing out 308rwkw but a set of nismo ones fixed that

i think nissan decided to make them from play-doh! S chassis factory engine mounts sucked big time. nismo FTW!

• 1 year later...

Engine dampers are particularly controversial, some say that it puts to much stress on the motor and its more detrimental to it than good because something has to give, whether its at the gearbox, or on the crank, but some say its fine.

Personally i dislike them, ive had one on my rb25det, and hardly experienced any change, i was more worried about losing more space in the bay since i saw no difference. the money is better spent else wear imo.

I think I would steer clear, as Iain said, you are placing stresses to parts of the engine and body that were not designed for it. Especially with the version that bolts on the plenum. I can't image it is good to put extra stress and flexing on an aluminium plenum which was really only designed to direct airflow.

Engine movement is fairly minimal with good mounts anyway, if you are getting excessive movement then it is probably best to fix the mounts rather than add a damper.