SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

That's awesome, that's good to know Bri73y - I guess I should have figured that! Yours obviously performs really well, too - goes some way to explaining why it has such an awesome power delivery.

Impulse-NL, the lack of VCT won't hurt the power... it's how early it all comes in is where the benefit lies :)

• Like 2

I know about that. But what I was thinking that the specs of the poncams are to mild and that with some longer duration and bigger lift that there is some more power/torque to be found.

And thats why I was looking for other options then the pomcams.

If I can retain the vct and get cams for it with higher specs then the poncams... Then yeah I'll keep it.

Sorry piggaz.... no graph.

Twin 6258 EFRs, tome 2.8L (w/ recesses), +1mm valves, 290deg/11.8 cams, ppg helical 1-5, os giken diffs, carbonetic clutch and other stuff. Currently upgrading from viper v44 to haltech plat-pro

What kind of power do you make? when do you get full boost and how is it to drive on the road? Your engine + cam setup is pretty similar to mine.

I dunno how it drives, how much power (91 octane here is poo) Or anytbing. Hant run in nearly 3 years.I didn't want the drag head but it was a good deal, new, and I was convinced it wouldn't be so bad..............

Honestly I wanted at biggest 280/10.8 cams so if it ever runs (justneed to assemble and install) and I don't like the drag cams I'll switch them out. Got a feeling the angry cams will wear things out fast.

Kids change your finances and priorities don't they? This car is prett much a memory sitting on stands for years.

When i started my build i had roll drags and 1/4 drag as my main priority. Ive since become more roll and top speed oriented seeing that i want to attend SM1000 next year. Ive got a 2.8 stroker with 288deg kelford cams, i think my cams might be to big for these turbos? I will be on E85, high comp and big boost. I do not want to make another mistake in my turbo choice. Its either going to be twin EFR's or a big single huffer for me.

twin EFR7163 sounds like an excellent turbo for your goals. We have someone with an R35 making 1100whp but the turbos are maxxed out. I believe 1000whp is attainable with RB28. Considering the HP targets, 288 kelfords seem appropriately huge for this application.

Just go for a big Single man will be much cheaper and easier :) 9180 :D

the single is less complex and less costly. However i do not believe the 9180 will reach his ambitious power goals as easily as the 7163 twins

Just orderd an 7670 1.05 a few minutes ago for my rb25 build (r33)Hoping to get around the 500bhp out of this setup for a nice quick street car :)

rb26 crank

rb26 JE pistons

Eagle rods

custom manifold (2 38mm tial mvs)

All will be at euro 98 fuel since we can get that at most places here.

7670 1.05 is a little on the small side, 8374 1.05 might be a better fit (considering your fuel) but good luck either way and post results

I run Kelford cams in my RB25 (264/272) and have retained vct. It's possible, however they are a special order for vct to be retained.

ive got a friend/customer using rb25 vct mechanism swapped to his RB30/26 hybrid... pretty neat

Edited by Full-Race Geoff
  • Like 1

For an SR20DET, I want a turbo that'll perform through the mountains & on the circuit.

I'm quite interested in the twin scroll EFR7064 A/R 1.05 with EWG's.

A couple of questions:

-Will this turbo be more responsive than a GT2871r?

-Considering the A/R & footprint of the turbo, does it suit drag racing only?

-How driveable will it be? I assume the EFR's have a much more savage power delivery compared to most turbos?

I think that the EFR7163 is touted as the 'response master'. Although it doesn't have a twin scroll option, it does have a V-band which may be help to keep costs a bit lower.

You will find the EFR's are a lot more driveable and N/A feeling in their power delivery. The 7064 and 7163 would be awesome on your car, and certainly not be drag racing only.

I run Kelford cams in my RB25 (264/272) and have retained vct. It's possible, however they are a special order for vct to be retained.

Talk to Kelford, I dealt with Kiel Rasmussen.

what lift are these cams running?

If you mean camshafts then Jun 264 x 10.5, have also ran Tomei 270 x 10.8 and to be honest didn't see any difference on the dyno or feel any difference on the track when the change was made. Head is all Ferrea or Supertech, can't remember to be honest, was Tomei springs etc but we had to upgrade seat pressure a while back. Bottom end is a Tomei 2.8 x 87mm.

There's a brief list of bolt ons etc in the 500kw thread. It's nothing out of the ordinary, most things GTR have been done over and over, there's heaps of info on what works, for most you can just follow everyone else's lead.

I think that the EFR7163 is touted as the 'response master'. Although it doesn't have a twin scroll option, it does have a V-band which may be help to keep costs a bit lower.

You will find the EFR's are a lot more driveable and N/A feeling in their power delivery. The 7064 and 7163 would be awesome on your car, and certainly not be drag racing only.

No twin scroll? :(

Im thinking about going to a 7163 and getting rid of my oil leaking FP green on my evo as FR have a lowmount kit out/coming out. I believe Geoff has 1 on his evo now.. Id love to hear how thats going and what fitment is like from Geoff. I wouldn't wanna sacrifice any response over the green even though i know its a 6lb bigger turbo..

There is a T4 TS housing with a 0.8 A/R.

According to matchbot the hotside of the 7163 flows like the 7064 with T3 0.83 A/R housing.

The T25 0.85 A/R housing flows like la 7064 T4 TS 0.92 A/R housing.

The MFT turbine really seems to be kickass in single scroll, the TS housing seems to be pretty restrictive though.

Hey guys. Finally got my 9180 set up partially dynod. Fan hit the radiator on 28psi @ 720awhp. Car is a R32 gtr. Rb26 forged bottom. Heads are ported with oversized valves and 278' cams. Putting it back on the dyno next week with a new radiator. Aiming for 800hp.