SAU Community

Oil Catch Can/pcv Setups...

Samon

I was thinking of getting the same configuration as this:

http://www.skylinesa...ttach_id=303024

Do you think this would be affective? Not sure exactly how it's hooked up, but there seems to be only 3 hoses (1 going to the cam cover, one to the intake pipe and one to the dipstick sump? Not entirely sure. Bit hard to tell in that photo.

Do you think this would be affective? Not sure exactly how it's hooked up, but there seems to be only 3 hoses (1 going to the cam cover, one to the intake pipe and one to the dipstick sump? Not entirely sure. Bit hard to tell in that photo.

looks a bit like it may have a primary/secondary can setup... More than likely having the inlet side can returning to the rear turbo oil return. If the Primary can is returning to the dipstick it should be a good setup.

I also like the Autech catch tank with a nismo catch can....this is the best setup...like the Gibson gtr..Just make sure you use the std cam baffles or modify the Mines baffles so the oil can drain back into the head from the Autech catch tank.

What I have found however if you have too much oil in the head no catch can will work. Sort that out first.

Edited by BoostdR

im on the process of setting up my catch can,

i was wondering if its safe to run the oil back to the sump due to condensation???

I wouldn't run it back to the sump... On various times I have found substantial amounts of water in my catch cans!

It's not really that hard to top up the motor with oil every once in a while if it is breathing :)

my oil dip stick keeps popping out with this set up, does any one know why ?

Under boost, the PCV valve closes, and the rocker covers have nowhere to vent at all... The pressure pushes down into the sump and pops your dipstick out as the only way out.

That's my engine bay! lol. I have found that it works well. I used to get some oil in the catch can from sustained high rpm/boost when I didn't have the catch can, and that would coat the intake side with oil. No more draining catch can now that it drains to sump. Now that I plumbed it into the dipstick hole, it's great.

There is no secondary catch can, the PCV is still setup as per factory, as I did a fair bit of testing in the past and found that the majority of oil comes out of the LH breather (closest to turbos) so I left the other one alone.

One of the guys on here didn't have a catch can and he had dramas with oil usage (read oil going into intake and intercooler). A standard car would get away with it, but a modified engine with more boost will push that oil out. We would do an oil change and wonder where 2.5 to 3 litres of the original 6 went!! I organised a catch can for him as I got sick of cleaning AFM's too :)

What do people think about this setup?

Blocking the standard PCV line, then a single host from the exhaust-side rocker cover to the catch can and then back to the turbo inlet?

Less messy hoses in the engine bay, and no oil vapour directly being allowed into the intake manifold.

post-26444-0-48053000-1296864089_thumb.jpg

Thoughts?

• 8 months later...

I've had my catch can on now for several months now and havent noticed a single drop being collected in the catch can

Here is my current catch can setup:

post-47343-0-31664000-1319452827_thumb.jpg

As pointed out in the photo, I've noticed there's a little pool of oil building up in the catch can hose. So I'm guessing it's not getting enough vacuum for the oil to reach the can?

The drain plug on the catch can is still capped off and not a single drop of oil has come out when I open it.

This is pretty much the same setup as GTRsean's, minus the can draining to the dip stick.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or setups? or should I just keep sticking to this? I haven't done any modifications to the PVC/plenum side (if there's any to do?)

I've had my catch can on now for several months now and havent noticed a single drop being collected in the catch can

Here is my current catch can setup:

post-47343-0-31664000-1319452827_thumb.jpg

As pointed out in the photo, I've noticed there's a little pool of oil building up in the catch can hose. So I'm guessing it's not getting enough vacuum for the oil to reach the can?

The drain plug on the catch can is still capped off and not a single drop of oil has come out when I open it.

This is pretty much the same setup as GTRsean's, minus the can draining to the dip stick.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or setups? or should I just keep sticking to this? I haven't done any modifications to the PVC/plenum side (if there's any to do?)

Hey Owen,

I just changed to the nismo setup as I was having oil into the intake issues. You will need to put a restrictor in the line that goes into the rear turbo inlet pipe, I didn't do that silly me. The stock rubber pipe had one in it(cam cover outlet to rear turbo inlet pipe). It draws a lot of vacuum on boost!

Hey Owen,

I just changed to the nismo setup as I was having oil into the intake issues. You will need to put a restrictor in the line that goes into the rear turbo inlet pipe, I didn't do that silly me. The stock rubber pipe had one in it(cam cover outlet to rear turbo inlet pipe). It draws a lot of vacuum on boost!

Can you show me some pics of your setup?

Howcome you put a restrictor in? Wouldnt more vacuume be better to suck the gasses out of the cam cover?

I removed my catch can because it never had oil in it after a year, and when performing an intake pressure test, the catch can was a leak in my intake (the level reader thing). No oil in my intake so at least I know my engine isn't spluttering oil all over the head.