SAU Community

Oil Catch Can/pcv Setups...

Samon

Can you show me some pics of your setup?

Howcome you put a restrictor in? Wouldnt more vacuume be better to suck the gasses out of the cam cover?

post-12712-0-10378200-1319618187_thumb.jpgpost-12712-0-78345900-1319618190_thumb.jpg

post-12712-0-79239700-1319618193_thumb.jpg

Not if it is that much vacuum, that any oil mist entering the can gets sucked straight into the intake pipe! Restrictor is in the pipe from factory and has a smaller hole to restrict the amount of blowby gas/oil mist going into the intake. Mine was that bad, it was acting like an octane reducer...

ok its on the car i brought so it is already set with rear head drain just redoing the catch can setup..

Well if it already on there, dont go pulling the motor out to take it off lol

Well if it already on there, dont go pulling the motor out to take it off lol

hehe funny thing is im changing the crank so the motor is out.. but am just going to keep it set up, probly cost me more money to take off

Would 12an lines from both rocker covers to Moroso can be over kill?? Got a great deal on the can, lines and fittings. And how do you plumb the can drain into the oil dipstick? Are you just using a rubber hose? This is new to me....

Mines a very simple set-up. PCV blocked, lines from the rocker cover go directly into the catch can, then another line to the turbo intake. The drain plug is 1/2 inch from the bottom, never been full enough to empty it yet.

Is the steel-wool/stocking baffling effective?

Why do people run a sump return? There's stuff all in my catch can, but it does a great job of catching all the condensation build up etc.......

so im getting my catch can tank made and am just woundering what would be best to use as a "filter" to seperated to oil/vapour.

the steel wool and stocking sounds like a good idea but wouldnt the stocking melt eventually? causing the steel wool to possibly be sucked into the motor?

Anyone used this kind of catch can? I cant seem to find any info on it. I beleive there are a few slots in the top pipe (pcv to turbo inlet) that allows the oil to drop back down into the bottom of the can; but my concern is that under boost when the pcv valve opens the pressure would be high enough to bypass the slots and go straight into the intake of the turbo. Does this sound right? There is no type of baffling through the top type, just straight through.

When i undo the turbo end of the rubber pipe and slide my finger down it, it comes out coated in oil but must be minimal as the oil on the dipstick has never really dropped.

688c586c.jpg

81568799.jpg

s1iss_instruc.jpg

:thumbsup:

The diagram is missing the single -8an that goes to the turbo intake.

Which should be at the left side of the green fitting.

Usually it divides to T hose to the IM and the Turbo Intake.

This makes it run as oem spec.

I always run it to the turbo intake.Since that way it uses the turbo vacuum to exit the air out of the crank

Edited by koe

Anyone used this kind of catch can? I cant seem to find any info on it. I beleive there are a few slots in the top pipe (pcv to turbo inlet) that allows the oil to drop back down into the bottom of the can; but my concern is that under boost when the pcv valve opens the pressure would be high enough to bypass the slots and go straight into the intake of the turbo. Does this sound right? There is no type of baffling through the top type, just straight through.

When i undo the turbo end of the rubber pipe and slide my finger down it, it comes out coated in oil but must be minimal as the oil on the dipstick has never really dropped.

688c586c.jpg

81568799.jpg

PCV valve is closed under boost, it is open under vacuum only.

What do people think about this setup?

Blocking the standard PCV line, then a single host from the exhaust-side rocker cover to the catch can and then back to the turbo inlet?

Less messy hoses in the engine bay, and no oil vapour directly being allowed into the intake manifold.

post-26444-0-48053000-1296864089_thumb.jpg

Thoughts?

exactly how i set mine up..its cheap,simple and it works. leave the pcv valve functional though

so im getting my catch can tank made and am just woundering what would be best to use as a "filter" to seperated to oil/vapour.

the steel wool and stocking sounds like a good idea but wouldnt the stocking melt eventually? causing the steel wool to possibly be sucked into the motor?

if you go to Bunnings they have great big thick steel wool balls, 1 will fill your can

.would be extremely hard for your engine to suck them up..wrap in stockings for added insurance.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my catch can on now for several months now and havent noticed a single drop being collected in the catch can

Here is my current catch can setup:

post-47343-0-31664000-1319452827_thumb.jpg

As pointed out in the photo, I've noticed there's a little pool of oil building up in the catch can hose. So I'm guessing it's not getting enough vacuum for the oil to reach the can?

The drain plug on the catch can is still capped off and not a single drop of oil has come out when I open it.

This is pretty much the same setup as GTRsean's, minus the can draining to the dip stick.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or setups? or should I just keep sticking to this? I haven't done any modifications to the PVC/plenum side (if there's any to do?)

would this setup be alright if you instead joined the intake line from the catch can to the stock line and thus retaining the factory restrictor?

I don't understand one thing. When looking at some setups and some catch cans, both the inlet hose and outlet hose to and from the catch can are at the top. Wouldn't it be a better idea to fit the inlet hose(from the engine) to the bottom of the can, under all your meshing and baffling and then the return line to your intake up the top? That way you help to ensure no droplets are sucked back into the intake. I am going to be sealing off and refitting my catch can, noticed a tiny bit of oil in the front of the turbo...

• 2 years later...