SAU Community

Drillers Offsider

farris

Ok I have just been offered a drillers offsider position and I can choice either surface or underground.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience in the drilling industry.

Both positions are fifo, 2 and 1 roster and pretty similar pay. (underground slightly more)

i had this a few years ago(not with drilling). experienced in open cut and thought about u/g but thought for only $2 difference why go down.they preferred i stuck with open cut anyway. from what ive seen it looks like a very phsyical job and you would sleep well at night. what sites are available?

Yeah dont worry I don't make big decisions from info on the net lol, after speaking to people that work underground seems if your with the right company at the right site its well worth it but as I am unsure where I would be located id prefer to stay on the surface.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i work underground, what sort of offsider? we talking nipper or diamond drill offsider?

Diamond drilling mate. Eventually went underground and loved it but had a run in with supervisor lol.... now Im on the surface with another company. Would like to go back underground but as a nipper/truckie, as diamond drilling is crap haha

What site you at?

• 1 month later...

Aren't we all.

I missus' dad and mum both work in the resource industry

Mum is at perth mint gold refinery

And the dad is up on some three rivers site.

Only reason I haven't been able to work up there is due to not having any of the needed qualifications.

is it possible to get a job on the mines without HR licence?? really keen to earn some decent coin

depends what you wanna do. if you want to drive trucks then prob not. but if your on the tools/driller etc then you should be ok. some places will organise cops to come to site when they have a group of people who need HR. maybe get HR learners permit to show your interested?

• Latest Posts

• Totally agree here @groovezog! There's advice and there's advice, sometimes the latter doesn't take inconsideration use case, budget, time, effort etc. If we all wanted the ultimate track car with a dry sump, big displacement, we would just go to the nearest Porsche dealer and buy a 911 GT3 RS (that's if they even let you these days lol).
    • There is absolutely no way to tell. What we can tell you is that it is an RB. It has a single, low mounted turbo, so it would seem likely that it is an R20 or 25, but it has RB26 inlet side and valve covers. As it is clearly a frankenstein, it could be absolutely anything. It is unlikely to be good, unless the person responsible for the painting was not also responsible for the engine. That bracket is not a bracket and it is not broken. It is the top end of the suspension upright, connected to the outer end of the front upper control arm. It is your suspension. Take the wheel off and look at it.
    • I took the liberty of downloading the pictures:
    • Hot plugs not being a good idea in a massively boosted engine?
    • Put some more sleeve/hose over the top of the brake line for protection and let it rub? Make a plastic or metal nozzle to provide the last little bit of length of duct. The nozzle made to clear the brake line, the cooling air hose shortened to keep it away from the brake line? Make a short hard line to move the end of the brake hose away? (by far the best of the easy options).