SAU Community

Mazda Rx3Gt Restoration

we've all wasted money on cars over the years,spent many hours only to have sold the car at a later date at a huge financial loss.....old classic cars always hold a good dollar so this time im rather excited with my current purchase,this genuine 1975 mazda GT rx3....I bought old granddad mazda from japan and he has had quite a few nasty paint jobs over the years,although he is in pretty original condition.So here he is just arrived ready for his return to youth make over.....its getting stripped to a bare shell,bead blasted underneath/inside and outside,repainted and fitted with a period correct mazda factory racing 12a peripheral port engine,although it will have throttlebody injection hidden underneath the standard aircleaner :).....now old pops would have been a bit of a stud in his day,being mazda's "sportscar" of the seventies,the RX3 gave a shake up to the gtr in the japanese touring car class spoiling nissans chance of 50 wins in a row and for some reason appears to be the most desirable model.....so here is a bit of nostalgia for the younger guys to show them it wasnt about how loud your stereo was,how bright your neons are or how silly you can make your car look with 50 inch wheels.....it was the begining of the era that got the boys with V8s worried and taught them the meaning of respect and killed off the term "jap crap".

post-2711-0-90672200-1308043114_thumb.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not bad. I believe there is a place that does repro stuff for these. phils rotary in lawnton could probably help you with that.

nice find!

yeah unfortunatly his stuff doesnt fit to well

Please please please don't put simmonds rims on the car...like every other Capella/RX2/808/RX3 out there

I love these cars

PP 12a will be awesome!

i think that when these cars are built up to keep with the theme of old mods simmons are something that was used in the old days so to make the car period correct they get used.....or those old jelly bean wheels/dragways....its not like you can put newer wheels on .....i dont think there is much choice

ok heres the rear seats back after retrim.....someone had changed the front seats over the years so had to find those(found now) and they are still getting done.....75 GT's had these funky washers in the centre insert and leather was also an option which the owner took on my car....Im also about to build up the factory race engine with a bunch of new old stock stuff i got here....i will post the pics when i get going on it

gallery_2711_155_241714.jpg

gallery_2711_155_137071.jpg

gallery_2711_155_257468.jpg

Three rotaries in the one pic and not a single bike!

Just seeing this thread now. I would come around but guess I have a well deserved kick in the balls next time I show up after going on a 2 day bender rather then buy you dinner the other week :/

I can't believe for the same money I paid for the GTR 8 years ago I could have bought 3-4 RX3 coupes. Now good luck getting one for a reasonable price let alone finding one.

Nice score. Will be fantastic with period mods and a nice 12a PP!!!

Can I ask how you sourced the car in Japan? Aren't the locals buying these up as well so finding one for export is difficult?

I can't believe for the same money I paid for the GTR 8 years ago I could have bought 3-4 RX3 coupes. Now good luck getting one for a reasonable price let alone finding one.

Nice score. Will be fantastic with period mods and a nice 12a PP!!!

Can I ask how you sourced the car in Japan? Aren't the locals buying these up as well so finding one for export is difficult?

yep hindsight is wonderful huh?I do know of 2 other GT rx3 coupes in japan for sale (one of which i painted over ten years ago!) and familia coupe (r100) so they are around and for sale.

I look around here and found nothing but 808's converted into rx3's with autometer tacho's,roll cages and autobarn race seats for no less than 13k was the very cheapest....on the other end 30k for gen rx3 but with again roll cage/turbo engines but nice cars....just not original/period correct....im about to start building the engine....for those that dont know these first pics are the "engine cylinders/block and camshaft's" all in one and these are mazda factory racing units.I will show some pics of the engine being assembled as i go

gallery_2711_155_341193.jpg

gallery_2711_155_14042.jpg

Yeah there is very little in aus, which is a shame. So when I am ready look in Japan!.

Good 12 housings are hard enough to come across now a days but you have NOS factory racing items!!!

mazda factory racing inlet manifold and injection throttle body.The throttle body is a direct bolt on to any manifold that takes a webber/solex carb and converts to efi.I dont think i will be using the trumpets as they dont really fit the era of the car

gallery_2711_155_46950.jpg

gallery_2711_155_202183.jpg