SAU Community

Mazda Rx3Gt Restoration

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah there is very little in aus, which is a shame. So when I am ready look in Japan!.

Good 12 housings are hard enough to come across now a days but you have NOS factory racing items!!!

yeah very hard to find....i got two MFR 12a PP sets and one set of MFR 13b PP housings! :cool:

Edited by ylwgtr2

these are the stationary gears again new mazda factory racing parts....these were very hard to get,although i have been told that you can use late model 13b gears and machine them down (the early MFR gears are nitrided and so was the 13B turbo gears) but these are genuine and it makes my brain work better knowing that they are the 12a "racing" units that moffet and katayama used :D

gallery_2711_155_70313.jpg

Well you obviously know the right people. How did you get this MFR stuff??

i currently have no more organs left to sell :D Ive been saving this stuff up for a while for when something a little special came up....and i thought this was the perfect car to use it on.....i could have bought a series1 rx7 and built a moffett replica but i personally think they look like a busted ars***le :D

i dont think that they used titanium back in the day and call me a wastefull bastard but this is the what my extractors look like at the moment :D I plan to make a set of lobster style headers,then a full system....it seems to weld nice aswell,which is a bonus.....if i have to make ears bleed to make me smile....oh well

gallery_2711_155_5029.jpg

gallery_2711_155_66602.jpg

Edited by ylwgtr2

By "not using the trumpets" I assume you mean you're going to get the non - anodised ones, just the plain alloy? Those have been around as long as Webers, so I presume period enough? (that's what I was using in the 80's)

By "not using the trumpets" I assume you mean you're going to get the non - anodised ones, just the plain alloy? Those have been around as long as Webers, so I presume period enough? (that's what I was using in the 80's)

yeah they are a bit loud looking.....plus the car will be used regularly on the road so im not sure if i like the idea of loads of crap running through the intake......i was thinking of using an original aircleaner assy with the base modded to fit onto the throttle body...could be a bit restrictive but....i have to think about it a bit

yeah they are a bit loud looking.....plus the car will be used regularly on the road so im not sure if i like the idea of loads of crap running through the intake......i was thinking of using an original aircleaner assy with the base modded to fit onto the throttle body...could be a bit restrictive but....i have to think about it a bit

You can use the Uni filter or Finer filter foam air cleaners like these. Plenty of guys use them on Webers in rallying (I had a pair on my RX2 rally car with 51 Weber) so they'll keep all the crap out of your engine. I see Unifilter also sell the plain ram tubes.

If you haven't already bought the throttle body, they'll usually give you whatever colour ram tubes you want. In that case, just get the clear anodised ones, and use a pair of filter socks like in the link above.

There was a guy on Ausrotary a while ago who modified a standard intake to fit over a Weber carb, so it is possible. The ram tubes help with air flow, so I'd leave them on there. I'm pretty sure the guy on Ausrotary did this.

well ive set myself a goal to mess around with two parts a day....that way i figure when i get around to assembling it after im done with the body everything will be ready and up to standard....so today ive taken apart the tail lights as the lenses are weathered and the gaskets are stuffed letting everything from dirty/water and spiders inside....there was a few spider carcass's inside :)....ive washed them in good old morning fresh and scotch brighted the out sides with matting paste and cleared the lense's with 2k clear to make them look new again....and these are the reg plates old got for it :)

gallery_2711_155_30789.jpg

gallery_2711_155_232132.jpg

gallery_2711_155_360391.jpg

gallery_2711_155_255858.jpg

What colour is the car going to be?

im not a fan of white.....but unfortunatley id like to keep the car original so white it is :(...although the white it is now is incorrect....the real white is an oche shade(more dirty)

Watching this thread with interest :) I still remember your yellow R34 GTR refinishing thread - I expect this one to be just as good!

im glad to hear i have at least one dedicated watcher :) the gtr rebirth was indeed quite a deep and lengthy exercise,and it was a while ago(7 years????)and yes i still have the old yellow peril,but

as stated with this one im a bit happier coz i hope the finished thing will be worth more money :D