SAU Community

Mazda Rx3Gt Restoration

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cool glad you like it! :cheers: I have all the door trim/rear 1/4 panel and the headrest branding dies done will do the branding in he next week or so....i should have the body back from the blaster then aswell so will update then....i will mow straight into the body and hopefully get it knocked on the head pretty quick

Edited by ylwgtr2

oh i also got all the bright work done....a true work of art done by western metal polishing in sunshine.They bumped the few small dings out of the bars and stainless trims,copper plated the bars/doorhandles then double chromed them and polished the moulds....they look like mercury....they did an amazing job....will post some pics up

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok so i saw a genuine GT the same as mine and managed to get a pic of the seat .....it seems they used a different font on the savanna on the seats as to the 1/4 panel badges......so now armed with this its back to the CAD to refine my original design....according to my homework this headrest was only used on this series car so i was very lucky to be able to take a look at this original one in detail

gallery_2711_155_135222.jpg

How easy/hard is it getting that old stuff for the Mazda's? There seems to be SO many being restored around the place (admittedly most are sporting rear tubs and drag racing gearboxes.....) that you'd assume someone is making parts again for them such as reproduction badges etc

genuine stuff is getting harder to get( and more expensive)Im constantly amazed to what pops up for sale though.....there is a bunch of repo stuff available....some really good....some not so good....for instance you can get repo door trims but they are not 100% correct....there is a lot of mazda guys that want to whinge at some of the repo stuff but personally i say well something is better than nothing....I been trying to get as much genuine stuff as i can (which i must admit....ive done quite well)other stuff that i cant get,im prepared to make.I could use the door trims,but im lucky enough to have the CNC machine centre so i can make the dies ect....with the stuff i deal with at work takes quite a bit of attention to detail and is time consuming so im used to plugging away at something till its of pretty good standard.I like to think of myself as a bit of an improvisor....Im also lucky enough to have a huge number of friends that are the same so between us we tend to come up with solutions......I think of things like this.....a group of guys once made it(many years ago i might add),so a group of guys can reverse engineer or remake it(especially in this day and age when we have easy access to precision robotic devices and good materials)

Edited by ylwgtr2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...