SAU Community

Diy Led Tail Light And Brake Light

sinistaGTR

I couldnt be bothered paying $1200 for a set of nismo tail lights so i decided to make my own along with the middle brake light. Please attempt this at your own risk.

Brake light first as its the easier one, scroll down for tail light

Tools required:

10mm Spanner

Soldering Iron

Multimeter

Dremel for cutting perspex

Drill

Power supply if possible

and half a schmick

Parts required (for one tail light)

Cardboard

5cm x 15cm 3mm perpex sheet

12 white LEDs (i used 4000mcd)

4 x 22ohm 1/4 watt resistors

1 x 68ohm 5 watt resistor

1 x 1N4004 diode

Thin red and black wire

Before you start: Any one that has an electronic back ground may realise I haven’t used the perfect resistances and I based my set up on 10v. The reason for this is so that you can adjust your input resistances and get the correct brightness for the application. For the brake light I ran 3 leds in series with a 22ohm resistor, then placed in parralell. I used an input resistor with a diode to prevent cross flow to any other circuits. Please see the led diagram in the tail light section for more info.

First thing is to remove your centre brake light, the 10mm bolts unplugging the plug and simply sliding it all out and should look like this

DSC03305.jpg

Remove the outer lens;

DSC03311.jpg

Making the template (this is the most IMPORTANT part of the whole process)

Measure the length and height of the inside. Draw a basic outline cardboard and cut out and make sure you have the right shape and it fits in neatly. Once you have the shape mark a line down the centre 15cm long. Now divide it so your leds will fit equally and fit them in. Place inside your lens and see how it looks, I had to adjust mine a few times hence the markings but you will know when it looks right.

DSC03312.jpg

DSC03319.jpg

Next mark your Perspex outline and where your leds will sit. Remember you want the LEDs to be in a perfect line so take your time with the marking. Next cut the outline with the dremel and make sure it fits neatly in the lens. Adjust as required. Once happy drill your holes for the LED legs to go through.

On the back mark your + and – signs and where your resistors will sit. This will make life easier. Next place in your LEDs. I pushed the legs down to hold the LEDs into place and makes it easier for your soldering effort. Below is a few in progress shots. Please note I put my input resistor and diode on the board instead of within the wiring like I did in the tail lights.

DSC03322.jpg

DSC03326.jpg

DSC03327.jpg

DSC03329.jpg

Next get your soldering iron out and start soldering. Once completed mine looked like this:

DSC03335.jpg

Test the circuit:

DSC03338.jpg

Next just wire into the standard wires, in the boot you will see which one is positive and negative. Bolts and back in and should look like this.

DSC03342.jpg

Tail lights

Tools required:

10mm Spanner

Phillips head screw driver

Soldering Iron

Multimeter

Dremel for cutting perspex

Drill

Power supply if possible

and half a schmick

Parts required (for one tail light)

Cardboard

15cm x 15cm 3mm perpex sheet (two of them)

46 white LEDs (i used 4000mcd)

15 x 22ohm 1/4 watt resistors

1 x 390ohm 1/4 watt resistor

1 x 68ohm 5 watt wire wound resistor

1 x 180ohm 5 watt wire wound resistor

2 x 1N4004 diode

Thin red and black wire

Before you start: Any one that has an electronic back ground may realise I haven’t used the perfect resistances and I based my set up on 10v. The reason for this is so that you can adjust your input resistances and get the correct brightness for the application.

The wiring diagram is below, adjust your input resistors for the brightness required. I had both circuits with the same resistances so the lights looked all the same brightness.

Lightconnectorwiring.jpg

ledparallel.jpg

First thing is to remove your tail lights, the 10mm bolts unplugging the plug and simply sliding it all out and should look like this;

DSC03285.jpg

Remove the outer painted part by removing all the phillips head screws and take out the wiring harness...also on both sides mark top dead centre, this is important;

DSC03290.jpg

DSC03287.jpg

Next turn your oven onto 100 degrees and place the surround in for about 7 mins to heat up the goo. Pull it out and gently pry out the lenses, you may need to place it back in the over for a minute or two to reheat or get a tad more heat in. Be gentle with them.

Making the template (this is the most IMPORTANT part of the whole process)

Measure the outer and innner circles and mark them on a piece of cradboard, also mark your top dead centre. Cut the shape out.

This part is for the outer lens LED pattern: Divide the circle into twenty even parts. I started with placing LEDs 5mm from the inner circle. Place your outer LEDs 1 cm from the inner LEDs and starting at the top place one LED for every two inner LEDs, please see the photos for the pattern. Place the cardboard cutout with the LEDs insie the out lens making sure you align the top dead centre of both the cutout and LEns. Although the lens look like perfect circles they are on an angle, at this stage its a case of test and adjust the LEDs so they look good from the outside. Take your time with this part as its how it will look. You will see on my cardboard cutout i circled the final positions of the LEDs due to there being a few holes in the end. Also note on my cutout how the LEDs are not in a perfect circle.

For the inner lens repeat as above but this cirle is broken into 16 pieces and as above you need to place inside the lens and look at it from the outside. Make sure you get it right.

DSC03310.jpg

Next mark your Perspex outline and where your leds will sit. Remember you want the LEDs to be in a perfect line so take your time with the marking. Next cut the outline with the dremel and make sure it fits neatly in the lens. Adjust as required. Once happy drill your holes for the LED legs to go through.

On the back mark your + and – signs and where your resistors will sit. This will make life easier. Next place in your LEDs. I pushed the legs down to hold the LEDs into place and makes it easier for your soldering effort. The pattern for the markings is as below:

outerlightledpattern.jpg

innerlightledpattern.jpg

once the leds are in the board it will looks like this:

DSC03295.jpg

Next get your soldering iron out and start soldering. Once completed mine looked like this:

DSC03293.jpg

DSC03298.jpg

DSC03294.jpg

Test the circuit:

DSC03296.jpg

I used some white silicone to hold the perspex in place, use you top centre mark on both the lens and perspex to align:

DSC03297.jpg

Next do your wiring harness. As with the brake light, you can adjust the input resistors for the brightness of your choosing.

Make sure you actually cut the brake light and tail light wires and run new wires. I tried to just T or patch into the standard harness and it didnt work. This diagram is self explanatory. The triangles are the diodes.

Lightconnectorwiring.jpg

If you did the right side first all you have to do is flip your cardboard cutouts over and you will have the pattern for the left automatically or vice versa. This ensures that your patterns are the same both sides.

Any questions please feel free to ask

thanks mate,

ALSO forgot to add then when putting the lens back into the surround you only need like 3 mins in the oven to reheat the goo, do not put it in the oven for too long.

Edited by sinistaGTR

thanks mate,

ALSO forgot to add then when putting the lens back into the surround you only need like 3 mins in the oven to reheat the goo, do not put it in the oven for too long.

I'd suggest maybe even get a new bottle of black window sealant from super cheap and give them a fresh coat. The stuff that is on the tail lights is really really REALLY messy. This new stuff is exactly what the old stuff is but easier to clean and just doesn't stick everywhere. You also ensure a perfect seal. Ive got a tube in the garage so I'll be giving them a fresh layer. Ive printed out this guide and going to go through my box down stairs to see what parts I do and don't have. Ive got about 200 UV LED's, 50 blue, 50 green but no damn white lol.

I don't know how to remove the lens out of the R33 :( Its got clips around the red lens which is attached to the black plastic frame. I tried to unclip them but there is no way that is gonna happen without cracking something... What does the glue shit hold? Is that the black sealant stuff or is it something else?

just curious how it works with the different brightness required for tail lights and brake lights? do the LEDs just get brighter when you put the brakes on when the lights are on?

just curious how it works with the different brightness required for tail lights and brake lights? do the LEDs just get brighter when you put the brakes on when the lights are on?

Yes the LEDs get brighter when the brake light is on and the centre brake light also comes on. The input resistors 68ohm for brakes and 180ohm for tail light makes two different brightness, so these can be changed to the users desired brightness.

DSC03301.jpg

DSC03342.jpg

Edited by sinistaGTR

yeah i noticed the 2 different resistors but i know didly squat about electrical stuff so i thought i'd just ask to clear it up for sure.

The brake light isn't activated until the brake pedal is pressed and when it is pressed there is a lower resistance resistor there to restrict less current. The tail light light stays on but when the brake light comes on, it is allowing more current/voltage through to give it the extra brightness.

I tried this today with my R33. There is no way the lens is coming off the damn thing. There is nothing to grab, no where to jam a screw driver into to lift the lens up after heating it. The glue is soft but still wont come out. I even tried putting something through the bulb hole to push it up and it felt like something would break before it pops out... Need more details about removing the lens... Or if anyone figures it out, post a method up.

what were the inner and outer measurements for the rings?

also, if you had the rings squared to the centre white globe holder wouldnt that remove the need for the offset circles?