SAU Community

R33 Gtr Twin Turbo Upgrade

MJTru

So, i finally gat a GTR R33 1995. Its being shipped from Japan as to speak.

I'v been thinking of a turbo upgrade, After searching the site and google, i'm a little lost.

I'm looking for 700 to 800 HP with a very fast response. I was looking at the GT28rs series turbos. Then the HKS GT2530. These work Good on the mines R34 GTR. First i plan on getting the oil and water pump changed alomg with the timing belt.

Can Anyone recomend any new turbos that i can use for this HP goal. I'm looking for a very fast spool, max boost at about 3500 RPM's.

Thanks Mate.

Not sure you can get 800 hp and fast response :unsure:

Also I think theres a little more to getting 600kw than just bolting on a couple of bigger turbos plus you may want to have a look at your suspension and braking.

Not sure you can get 800 hp and fast response :unsure:

Also I think theres a little more to getting 600kw than just bolting on a couple of bigger turbos plus you may want to have a look at your suspension and braking.

Yes i agree, but this is just a starting point before i go in the motor. I just need a set of turbos that can supply the air for 700hp or so. I don't mind giving up a little bit of power for the response.

I want it to be very fun to drive intown from light to light, and have a lot of grunt in the quarter mile.

Hanaldo what is IBTL ???????????

Does anyone know of billet wheel turbos that are gt28's????

So, i finally gat a GTR R33 1995. Its being shipped from Japan as to speak.

I'v been thinking of a turbo upgrade, After searching the site and google, i'm a little lost.

I'm looking for 700 to 800 HP with a very fast response. I was looking at the GT28rs series turbos. Then the HKS GT2530. These work Good on the mines R34 GTR. First i plan on getting the oil and water pump changed alomg with the timing belt.

Can Anyone recomend any new turbos that i can use for this HP goal. I'm looking for a very fast spool, max boost at about 3500 RPM's.

Thanks Mate.

The HP you are chasing is not as simple to attain as just putting on a set of turbos - The engine will need to be built, and the hardware, labour and tuning you would be looking at to build a reliable 800HP GTR will more than likely cost you more than double the purchase price of the car itself.

Have you driven a car with close to 800HP?

Yes i agree, but this is just a starting point before i go in the motor. I just need a set of turbos that can supply the air for 700hp or so. I don't mind giving up a little bit of power for the response.

I want it to be very fun to drive intown from light to light, and have a lot of grunt in the quarter mile.

Hanaldo what is IBTL ???????????

Does anyone know of billet wheel turbos that are gt28's????

Means in before the lock. Because you clearly haven't even tried searching. There is so much info on these forums, go check out the dyno upgrade thread and the forced induction performance guide.

You haven't mentioned anything along the line of mods, like ECU, fuel pump, injectors, etc. If this car you've bought is all stock then you've got a long way to go before you can upgrade the turbos, and you need to do a lot of research before you even consider doing that. Judging by what you have posted, you have no idea about how to successfully build a car.

Edited by Hanaldo

Means in before the lock. Because you clearly haven't even tried searching. There is so much info on these forums, go check out the dyno upgrade thread and the forced induction performance guide.

You haven't mentioned anything along the line of mods, like ECU, fuel pump, injectors, etc. If this car you've bought is all stock then you've got a long way to go before you can upgrade the turbos, and you need to do a lot of research before you even consider doing that. Judging by what you have posted, you have no idea about how to successfully build a car.

ok plesae look at this link and tell me that i don't know how to build a car.

This is one of many that i built.

Now for just one sec, lets say all addtional mods are met. What turbos will do the job? I did search this site page after page, what i did notice is that new turbos are coming out like crazy. So i had a good idea for what size i'm looking at, but wanted to know what's new out there that people have been using. Like is there a gt25 with a billet wheel that can out perform the HKS 2530's.

Thats harsh to say, i know nothing about building a car, You are right in a sense as i'm always willing to learn, even from people like you. lol.

If you want to jump on the pioneer bandwagon the twin EFR 6258 is said to be promising but I doubt you will beat 2530 response with them.

I would be more inclined to go a single EFR like the 8374 or whatever it is.

If you want to jump on the pioneer bandwagon the twin EFR 6258 is said to be promising but I doubt you will beat 2530 response with them.

I would be more inclined to go a single EFR like the 8374 or whatever it is.

Its funny that you mentioned that, i was just reading up on the new EFR series turbos. They seem to big to fit on a twin setup, The exhaust housing seems to long. I can be wrong. But for now it seems that its the HKS 2530's that are the winner. Thans SCotT that ws a good answer. I will readd up on these some more.

mate HKS 2530s are great but no way are they hitting full boost at 3,500rpm. have you driven even a standard GTR? even with standard turbos (which are only good for about 280kw max) full boost hasn't arrived by 3,500.. with 2530s you are talking more like 4,000+ and they are no where near close to 800hp (more like 600-650hp). if you want 800hp you are talking full boost around 5,000rpm or later.

if you want it to be really responsive and great to drive around town you are looking at GTSS which are 500-550hp set-up but very responsive. if on the other hand you want the 800hp you need much bigger twins or a big single.

my advice is drive the GTR first and see what you like/don't like about it. even a stock GTR is a fairly laggy car.

mate HKS 2530s are great but no way are they hitting full boost at 3,500rpm. have you driven even a standard GTR? even with standard turbos (which are only good for about 280kw max) full boost hasn't arrived by 3,500.. with 2530s you are talking more like 4,000+ and they are no where near close to 800hp (more like 600-650hp). if you want 800hp you are talking full boost around 5,000rpm or later.

if you want it to be really responsive and great to drive around town you are looking at GTSS which are 500-550hp set-up but very responsive. if on the other hand you want the 800hp you need much bigger twins or a big single.

my advice is drive the GTR first and see what you like/don't like about it. even a stock GTR is a fairly laggy car.

You gave me the best answer yet. clap clap. lol. You are right, i should drive it. I have never driven a GTR before, its always been highly moded GTST's. The GTSS, are these stock GTST turbos that you are refering to. OK so 800 is too high, Lets drop it to 500hp or 600. I will google the GTSS turbos and see what they are all about. Really mate i looked at MInes R34 and they are using two HKS gt2530, and that thing pulls like crazy. You are right about the lagg of a GTR, takin a closer look at mines GTR the boost comes in over 4000 RPM's, About 4500 is full boost. Look at the attached link for the vid of Mines skyline that i'm talking about.

The 34 and 33 are different?? i think one has Vtech (VTC) is this right. I want to build the car off the same specs as Mines GTR. High HP GTRs don't look as fun as a well rounded one.

Thanks Mate, and grate answer.

ok, yep for sure you need to drive the car first and then go from there. honestly you will be shocked. they are laggier than a GTST.

GTSS are HKS GTSS (come in twin kit for GTRs).

also, NO GTR model has VCT all the R32-R34 engines are essentially the same, same specs. the 34 has very minor changes that don't really affect performance much if at all. the turbos did change slightly but you wont want to be using ANY of the stock turbos regardless of R32/33/34.

Yeah the mines GTR is not as simple as bolting on HKS 2530s, for starters is has VERY different diff ratios. they went from R34 GTR which is 3.6:1 to R32 GTS4 which is 4.375:1 which is a massive change considering they're still using the standard R34 gear ratios. and even then it's not as responsive as it appears in videos.

500-600hp is much more realistic target and you can still have a good package in that power range.

HKS GTSS turbos

standard size valves

very mild or even standard cams (tuned with adjustable cam gears)

very mild head with basically just port match intake and exhaust manifodls, leave squish pads alone

get the exhaust side flowing very well (BIG dump pipes, front pipes and high flowing exhaust)

nice smooth piping and good intercooler

good ecu and tune

run the GTSS at 25psi if you can get them running that hard and you should have well over 550hp and a car that is as responsive as a standard GTR (maybe even a touch better)

even stuff like get a lightweight multiplate clutch (carbon if you can afford it) and lightweight flywheel.

it all helps.

Beer Baron you make a lot of sense.

Well what i have in mind is this, First go to the bank and put aside 30k for an engine build. I was looking at the Tomie stroker kit to spool these GTSS mutch faster, A Tomie oil pump with ristictors in the block.

Extra head oil return, As for the head it will be mostly stock. Just a set of valve springs and cams. The headers will be from 6boost (Kyle) The HKS turbos and full exhaust as big as possible down pipe, with FMIC. split fire coils, Clutch Triple carbon with fly weel the rest of money will go in for the small stuff like injectors ECU, Fuel pump with line and regulator, LSD, good set of GTC's 18's with advan Ao45's all round. A set of Tanabi coil overs. Defi gauges, etc.

I just want the car to be a fast street car. More responsive than power. I cant wait to see how a gtr feels. I've made a lot of power from the RB25det, but always had lifter problems, But with the GTR beeing solid lifters, thats in the past. Even after solving the lifter problems, The GTST just didn't have the traction, and i didn't feel like building my suspension up. Any other ideas MR. Baron.

When you make sense people call you MR. lol.

post-37293-0-27567100-1312265603_thumb.jpg

post-37293-0-65656300-1312265617_thumb.jpg

post-37293-0-59118500-1312265625_thumb.jpg

post-37293-0-42891100-1312265632_thumb.jpg

Edited by MJTru

you could probably save yourself some coin and use the standard GTR manifolds they work fine, i currently run the garret equivalent to the GTSS, the -9s, and they work great with the standards manifolds.

Big dump pipes go HPI they are awesome and i believe the Midori dump pipes and front pipe are pretty massive too

If you want response they are the turbos you want, listen to beer baron he speaks the goods

But good luck and hopefully you get what you are after!!!

+1 to everything Richard said in this thread.

Get the Garrett -9s (identical to HKS GT-SS). They will start building boost hard by 3300rpm on a 2.6ltr and by 4000rpm you are well on your way with over 20psi.

That will give you around 300-330rwkw. Note they will fall over above 7500rpm. That is fine though as they come on so early it's not funny. The added bonus is you are using less RPM all the time and shifting earlier which is only going to help reliability.

you could probably save yourself some coin and use the standard GTR manifolds they work fine, i currently run the garret equivalent to the GTSS, the -9s, and they work great with the standards manifolds.

Big dump pipes go HPI they are awesome and i believe the Midori dump pipes and front pipe are pretty massive too

If you want response they are the turbos you want, listen to beer baron he speaks the goods

But good luck and hopefully you get what you are after!!!

wow those dumps by HPI cost alot. are they really that bigger than the rest????

HPI Dumps are 76mm.

In comparison, Midori are 76.3mm (from memory) and the new Tomei's are only 68mm

HPI Dumps are 76mm.

In comparison, Midori are 76.3mm (from memory) and the new Tomei's are only 68mm

Got my HPI dumps from HERE good prices and good to deal with.

As Blitz stated HPI is 76mm and i can confirm Midori is 76.3mm diameter, so you can see larger then the new Tomei dump pipes

Got my HPI dumps from HERE good prices and good to deal with.

As Blitz stated HPI is 76mm and i can confirm Midori is 76.3mm diameter, so you can see larger then the new Tomei dump pipes

Thanks Mate, and at that price for those two little pipes, i can now consider buying them lol. The price is half mate. what savings. thanks again mate.

• Like 1