SAU Community

Difference between RB25DE and RB25DET

In for a tuneup at Creatd near Broadmeadows tomorrow. I got an Auto House Tsukasaki PFC that has some maps, but until I get FC Datalogit or hand controller won't be able to access them. Otherwise the rear diff is shot and I get single wheelspin out of lefthanders on the track for about 200m. The engine is a dream and feels so good on the stock computer so I'm looking forward to a tune.

I was putting the engine together and was told the rod bolts were new but one wouldn't torque and then snapped at well below first torque. I then measured all the bolts and found 1-3 mm variation in length, so they had been clearly overtorqued before (therefore used). The xrays of the rods was fine though. New nissan rodbolts were about $100 but the wankers pack them in 5's so it took 3 deliveries to get the bolts.

I was on the skidpan with 160km of run in :cheers: and the instructor was amazed at how much power the barge had. No load on the pan so giving a few rpm is no sweat. Std computer it will spin through second on 11psi and for a bit into third so the PFC should light up my life.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer to keep my engine if I can. It's in pristine condition with low kms. I just don't know if it's a possibility though. I always thought that you should be able to tune your aftermarket turbo to outperform a stock turbo, but with all the discussion of low psi, compression ratios etc, how is this possible?

What exactly is the discrepency between low boost and high boost. Different rev ranges? I'm a clueless newbie in this department :|

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

as a bit of a sidetrack, anyone know how hard it is to transplant a NEO-RB25DET out of an auto Stagea into a NEO-RB25DE R34??

The sump has to be changed.

The wiring loom is different (how??).

Anyone care to expand on this. Much appreciated.

Brett

My understanding is the R33 RB25DET uses hydraulic lifters, and depending on your year model have different rods, the lucky owners have rods very similar to RB26s

The R34 RB25DET NEO uses solid lifters and all use the stronger rods that are similar to RB26 rods.

So when you say the same as 25/20DET engines i assume you are referring to R33s? Gut feeling tells me all DEs use hydraulic lifters, including R34 neo making it significantly different to the turbo NEO engine...suspect the rods of the NA NEO are also the weaker types? Dont knpw just suspect, hence asking the question

My understanding is the R33 RB25DET uses hydraulic lifters, and depending on your year model have different rods, the lucky owners have rods very similar to RB26s

The R34 RB25DET NEO uses solid lifters and all use the stronger rods that are similar to RB26 rods.  

So when you say the same as 25/20DET engines i assume you are referring to R33s? Gut feeling tells me all DEs use hydraulic lifters, including R34 neo making it significantly different to the turbo NEO engine...suspect the rods of the NA NEO are also the weaker types? Dont knpw just suspect, hence asking the question

Hi Roy,

Sorry must have been pissed, didn't see your rod question. I've seen 2 types of rods in the RB25 engines. One is very average( in the DE) and the other is isn't too bad(probably not worth risking above ~ 350rwhp). Rb 26 rods will go on the 25 crank- i have them on mine. As an extra precaution I shotpeened and linished just to be safe- cause i could

• 5 years later...

Been searching trying to find out what the differences between NEO turbo and non turbo heads as I and trying to find out if I can use a Non turbo head when I build my engine.

I am not worried about cams or springs as I will be replacing them. Are the inlet and exhaust runners and valves the same size? Is the combustion camber the same volume?

Cheers, Alex.