SAU Community

Pnm35 Build Thread

PN-Mad

Hi All,

Well, I've been thinking about making this thread for a while now, so I thought I'd just go for it. Straight away, I apologise if the updates are not so common, the photos are a bit shit or you came here thinking it is a 1000hp GTR build thread. It will show my story turning a stock car into a different daily drive. The main use of the car is a daily for my Mrs, much like other peoples stageas I guess. I hope you enjoy it, but mainly it'll be something for me to look back on and figure how stupid I wasblush.gifAnyway here we go-

THE CAR -

Its a MY05 Nissan Stagea 350RX Four. Bought from Northshore Prestige on 21/8/2010 with 45068 km. Stock as a Rock. Colour- Silverstone WV2, which only came in the series 2 M35's. It has options of reverse camera, and the popup screen with satnav/tv/trip comp/sushi hunter. The motor is a VQ35de, same as V35/Z33 spec. It as a 5 spd Auto, with a electromagnetic Attesa AWD system. I had it on the dyno stock as, it turned out 147.3kw at all 4 wheels- not a bad figure.

Mods so Far-

The very first thing to get fiddled was the tiptronic auto. Nissan in their wisdom thought it a great idea to make the upshift action a push away form the driver, instead of a pull backwards. Out with the centre console, an a snip of the wires, plug them back together, and it makes sense to drive- I'm not down shifting when I want to upshift any more.

Then the memory gets a bit hazy as to the order of things. I bought R32 GTR 4 pot front brakes wanting to fit them. The stock front brakes are woeful. They are 350Z touring spec items, which just don't hold up to a 1650kg car. The new brakes sat in my garage for ages- they didn't sit behind the stock 17" wheels.

Next to come about the same time were some uprated springs thanks to Jetwreck, and in the same couple of weeks uprated sway bars (GB from went on front and rear thanks to Daleo. These two items made a MASSIVE difference to how the car felt. Cornering is now much flatter, car feels more connected to the road. Springs are stiffer, and lower. Thanks to lowering, the stock wheels with +45 offset looked ridiculous. They sat way in the guards- something needed to be done!

Twas about this time where a HKS turbo kit suitable for 350Z's came into my life. I had nil intention of buying a turbo kit/car, but you know that point where you see something for a insanely low price, and you just buy it- well, that was me. The kit came with everything from pod filter to cat converter. All manifolds, dump, wastegate sump, etc. It runs a HKS GT3037s with a 1.12 rear, and a 60mm External gate. All thats missing was the injectors, fuel pump, and engine management. I got it, and stashed it in the garage. I couldn't fit it right away, even though I wanted to. It was like Christmas opening all those boxes!

Next up was a bit of exhaust fiddling. Looking around the US G35 sites, like 350-tech, G35 driver etc etc, it seemed a popular upgrade for V35/G35 sedans to pop on a coupé midpipe. Looking at my car, the hangers looked identical. I put in a few calls, and Northshore had a 350Z midpipe sitting around. It was the same but a little short- I got it extended a bit, and slapped it on. Great. Its just a resonator, as opposed to that massive mid-muffler that we seem to have. Great budget upgrade for exhausts, larger pipe diameter, SO much lighter than stock- and a great growly note.

I then ordered some wheels- long story, but I got stuffed around by one company for 10 weeks, before giving up. I ordered some SSR Type F's from JDM Concept. 19x8.5 +22. I got the size from BBenny, whose Enkeis are the same size, and fit very nicely. I went for the Matte Black, gold and silver just were not doing it for me. I then went O/s for work for 2 months, and O/S on holiday for 1 month.... it was all quiet...

On getting back, I sorted tyres- tirerack was the go here. Continental tyres 225/40/19- over they came from the US. I finally had the wheels on! The R32 GTR brakes went on shortly after- adapter sleeves from Scotty, and PMu pads from somewhere in QLD. Great upgrade. Much more confidence in the brakes now.

Then came the stuff to get ready for the turbo kit- Transcooler from PWR, with a thermostat from Jetwreck thumbsup.gif (not installed yet), who also installed the Transgo shift kit that he's been doing- legend! I now feel the GB should hold up to what I'll put into it. Shifts are great- smooth when on part throttle, and firm but not harsh on WOT.

And thats pretty much where it sits today. I've got the GSS342 Walbro, and some 600cc injectors on the way. Posts/Pics on the turbo kit to come-

thanks.gif

6102147089_e1faf2a2b7_z.jpg">

Edited by PN-Mad

Twas about this time where a HKS turbo kit suitable for 350Z's came into my life. I had nil intention of buying a turbo kit/car, but you know that point where you see something for a insanely low price, and you just buy it- well, that was me. The kit came with everything from pod filter to cat converter. All manifolds, dump, wastegate sump, etc. It runs a HKS GT3037s with a 1.12 rear, and a 60mm External gate. All thats missing was the injectors, fuel pump, and engine management. I got it, and stashed it in the garage. I couldn't fit it right away, even though I wanted to. It was like Christmas opening gall those boxes!

Haha, we were the same! So many beautiful items!!

Looking forward to where this ends up Alex (and what mods you do to the HKS piping and end up doing to fit the sump in particular).

Nice, will be very interested how this build goes, I personally always wondered how easy the APS Twin turbo kit for a 350z would go in a PNM35 Stag as I wouldn't mind getting another one. . .

http://www.airpowersystems.com/350z/350z.htm

Does anyone know if the dimensions in a PNM35 and 350Z engine bay are similar. . .

Does anyone know if the dimensions in a PNM35 and 350Z engine bay are similar. . .

They are very similar, hence buying the HKS kit! The differences I know of is two places. One, the front driveshaft/diff, and two, the 350Z has a hole in the front composite brace thing. Thats where it ducts cold air to the air filter. This is something that I have to work around as the intercooler outlet travels back through that hole on my kit.

In the APS kit, its where that blue hose would sit. I also except the divers side turbo outlet would have to be modified, as the diff sits where that oil filter/pipe goes.

Edited by PN-Mad

Gotta say Alex, the mid muffler was a great budget mod; sounded sweet when you were leaving the meet last weekend. It'll be nice hearing that rasp, overlaid with some turbo whistle...

Any plans to open the motor?

Reading the classified ad I see HKS say the internals wont cope with too much boost, but they have a kit available... :whistling:

Project looks good. Look forward to updates!

3.5 litre turbo should make the 300kw easily. Stock bottom end should handle it if tuned correctly. Beefed up auto would be the priority. Car looks good - would almost be happy for it to replace my C34 when its finished!

Fantastic Post! I will be picking my Stagea SII 350 Rx this week from North Shore Prestige. These are things which have crossed my mind, and your post has answered all my questions. Can't wait to see your finished product. I'll have to keep an eye out for you!

Thanks guys. Somebody has to stand up for the NA guys out there....whistling.gif

Iamhe77 is right, the HKS kit on the stock boost they set the WG at looks to produce about 260kw on a 350Z. From all the searching around I have done, I think the stock bottom end is ok for 300kw when your running a Manual rwd G35/Z33/V35. Now I have to convert that power figure into something relative to my drive train- AWD/5AT. And we know that the Yanks are a bit dyno happy too...

One from fitting the R32 Sumitomo Brakes- the stone shields are a bitch if you don't have the right tools...pinch.gif

6232222580_19a125b74f.jpg

Stock dyno sheet- was done in 3rd gear, as 4th would be in the speed limiter.

6231780609_c90f537837.jpg

A Shot from the SAU NSW Stagea15th Anniversary Cruise:

6232302952_54fefa719c.jpg

Edited by PN-Mad

Are you planning on doing any work on the auto box to strengthen it up a bit before putting the turbo on, or just gonna see what happens?

Nice car too, it was looking really good on the 15th Anniversary cruise.

Are you planning on doing any work on the auto box to strengthen it up a bit before putting the turbo on, or just gonna see what happens?

Nice car too, it was looking really good on the 15th Anniversary cruise.

I think he's put in the Transgo shift kit...

I think he's put in the Transgo shift kit...

Will that have any effect apart from speeding up the shifts? I was thinking more in terms of protecting the gearbox from any problems caused by the increased power levels, if that is even going to be an issue.