SAU Community

R34 Gtt Poor Radio Reception

iwanta34gtr

Hi every1,

Im having issues with weak radio reception in my r34.

Done some research and found this thread - http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/250936-weak-radio-signal/

Just wanted to clarify, on my stock harness I have a blue cable with 'Ant control" on it, that isnt connected to anything.

Is this the wire which I should be soldering in to an antenna wire on the back of my head unit (Im pretty sure there was one).

Just dont want to screw anything up and plan on giving it a go tomorrow.

Have taken a picture of the harness so u can see the wire im talking about.

Thanks heaps in advance.

post-86021-0-75429300-1320489562_thumb.jpg

yes follow the instructions and you be right

but note

GTT and R34 in general have horrible radio reception,

tint affects it- some are ceramic, or metallized

landscape does, hills. mtns, builidngs

mutipath in citys does, reflection off metal objects causes mutiple paths of signal to hit the receiver causing drop outs

nissans horrble idea of diversity antennnas in the glass , not a good ground plane

most of the time the hack who installs the jap to oz signal box cuts the wires and tapes them up. not buying the right jack to interface it. thats the first place to check radio reception issues on JDM cars- NISSAN for sure

and if your still having issues check behind the c pillar sail panels in the rear , sometime the antenna wires into the rear glass are unplugged ? or cut

and now with DAB broadcasts you need a better antenna then factory . I use a amplified shark fin(smaller then you pinky finger long). tiny one for DAB tv and radio, works a treat and not horrble looking like some fins

hope that helps before you rip your hair out

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

Apologies for the thread revival.

I have installed a Blaupunkt New York 800 in my R34.

I've used an aeropro (from Repco) ISO to Nissan adaptor.

Anyway... the blue wire (ant control) as shown on the OPs pic - where do I actually connect this to on this particular HU?

On a slightly unrelated question - is there some sort of auto dim function (wire) for the HU when I turn on the headlights? As I find the HU way too bright during the night and am forced to manually dim the unit via software settings.

the link to the thread from OP mentions having an adaptor to the antenna and an extra single pin plug. I currently have this adaptor from JB hifi

http://jcbid.com/images2/9/3/6/7/2//full/SCOSCHE-NDAB-NISSAN-DIVERSITY-ANTENNA-ADAPTER.jpg

the original connection goes into the right side female end, and the red plug goes into the antenna hole in my head unit. What do i put into the remaining end?

My reception is dodgy and scatty :(

• 2 months later...