SAU Community

Fs: Cruise Controls For V35 & M35 - Diy Install

Hi everyone

I have for sale a limited number of cruise controls. The kit is a bargain @ $490 delivered.

I've had mine in for about a month & it is hands down the best non performance mod I have done.

Thread is here: http://www.skylinesa...35-diy-install/

Cheers, Leon.

post-76144-0-20230300-1322360748_thumb.jpg

I'll have to come have a look at yours Nate. I plan on getting one once i have the cash and my cars lowered etc. At the moment mine has all the volume buttons etc but they don't work.

no worries! It is the better example of v35 , U may pick up some tips haha j/k

At the moment mine has all the volume buttons etc but they don't work.

If you have the factory audio, the buttons you have should work, so maybe they are disconnected. If you have an aftermarket headunit, sometimes they are compatible with OEM controls, otherwise there are adaptor boxes that can work, depending on brand/model.

The cruise control switches come on a wiring harness with the audio switches attached, so your old buttons will come out & the new ones go in. If your headunit isn't compatible with steering wheel switches, they'll have to sit there looking pretty (much like now, lol) because there's no easy way to leave them off. It could be doable, but why bother when a new headunit could come along in the future where you could use them.

+1. It's a user installed product; the user takes the risk.

Just like any part you fit to your own car.:whistling:

I wonder what the liability on sour grapes is?

So apparently this cheaper option doesn't come setup and ready to use? It's not exactly plug and play it seems. I got chris to install his cruise control in my v35 a week ago and works amazingly well, rediculously accurate to maintaining the desired speed. Unless you go down a long steep hill which requires brakes to maintain speed such as the gateway bridge, the speedo needle doesn't ever seem to budge from the set speed through all sorts of different road conditions and speeds plus it comes already setup and ready to use, no tuning involved.

Chris installed it for me, but I watched him do it and it took all of about 15minutes from start to finish, no cutting wires, and it did come with the factory controls. Plus there was no programming or anything involved with the setup. It was as simple as plug-in and drive off.

I'm not saying that you should purchase one or the other, but I am saying you shouldn't laugh at the price difference.. as with everything in life, you get what you pay for.

maybe it was pre-programmed?

and how much did you pay for it, including installation?

im guessing $900+

some people are happy to save $400 and learn something in the process, for a similar product

Edited by zei20l

Hi Josh, thanks for the feedback.

If I may address your comments, I think it may clear up where I'm coming from.

This one can come setup if I plug each box into my harness & program it for pedal/button learning, but since the speed sig on the V35's could be a different frequency to my M35, there may be some programming req'd for V owners. There is no wire cutting required as such, just wire connections. I think most people who will buy mine like to DIY because of what they learn about their cars (at least I do), & I wouldn't want to deprive them of that :rolleyes: .

These also hold speed very well, with all but the steepest of declines causing it to run more than a couple of kms over the set speed. The tuning that is available (not required) is great for modded cars. To be able to vary the responsiveness to suit an individual car's power delivery is very nice IMO, & is a positive, not a negative,

Install time of 15 minutes is legendary! I know you get quicker at things when you do them often enough, but to remove the trim & steering wheel, plug in switch panels & replace trim should take at least 15 minutes. Then there's connecting power & a few other wires. I'd say anything less than 30 minutes is an amazing feat.

Good on Chris for being that efficient :thumbsup: . When I looked at his cruise it cost $700 for the gear & $200 install (a decent deal, btw). That means Chris is making $800/hr (based on 15 mins work), ignoring the margin on the unit itself. That's a serious hourly rate; I'm jealous, lol.

You are right that you get what you pay for; but don't confuse a cheap price with a cheap product. These sell in Aust for $900 installed without the factory buttons. I don't know of anyone putting the factory buttons with these yet (there might be), but if so, the price would probably be $1000 - $1100. My price is only 'cheap' because I bought 20 from the OS distributor, plus 18 sets of buttons from Nissan and am selling them for what they cost me. I wanted 3 units myself & this was the best way for me to get what I wanted, considering I also wanted the switches that light up at night & afaik Chris' don't.

You may not believe me re the price, but yes, I am that generous :happy: . Anyway, there are only a few left & it is a once only deal for serious DIY'ers who want a premium product at a bargain price. Anyone who wants a 15min drive in/drive out, no fuss install knows where they can go.

Cheers,

Leon.

I like the idea of adjusting the gain / response of the unit as well as a lot of other options, maybe Chris's unit can do this too?? But I can also understand why some people would just like a plug and play system.

I like to be able to adjust as much as can to get it working exactly how I like it. I have driven very few cars that have a good factory cruise control system. My old J30 was probably the worst. I always wished I could wind up the gain on that one. But most are too slow to respond to speed changes.

I'm very grateful commsman is willing to sell these for cost, when he could probably easily add an extra $100 or so for his trouble! Kudos mate!

Thanks Greg.

I'm not sure how adjustable Chris' are, but I too like to be able to control the characteristice of it. I've also driven with some dodgy cruise controls. One on my X-Trail 'caused' me to get fined for speeding. I was overtaking & hit resume as I was pulling back into my lane. That units default setting was to give heaps of throttle & then back off to the set speed. Of course I was already going close to what was bookable & that put me over the limit.

These new ones can program that annoying feature out of the equation, & for that reason alone I love them.

I need someone to install this in a manual V35 in Adelaide. Can anyone suggest someone that may be able to do this? Are there any other requirements

needed for the installation in a manual?

Probably just need a clutch switch in addition to the brake switch. Other than that, it should be the same.

I installed it on a 6MT and will do a DIY like usual. I tried going to the ECU pin 122 i think for the clutch switch but no go, and getting to the clutch switch on the clutch is a mission ! If i knew how it unplugs then maybe but without knowing that im skipping that step. Just tap cancle or tap brake b4 changing gears..

I installed it on a 6MT and will do a DIY like usual. I tried going to the ECU pin 122 i think for the clutch switch but no go, and getting to the clutch switch on the clutch is a mission ! If i knew how it unplugs then maybe but without knowing that im skipping that step. Just tap cancle or tap brake b4 changing gears..

Hey Nate

rather than try to get up under the dash to the OEM wiring, what if you try an extra clutch switch as suggested (example below). Is there anywhere within easy reach to mount one so your pedal activates/releases the switch? One wire goes to earth, the other goes to the purple wire from the cruise control.

post-76144-0-94836100-1323160494_thumb.jpg

I fitted one of Leons kits to my car yesterday! banana.gif

I have what would be best described as rudimentary electrical skills; I can install a head unit, and do basic fault finding, but I'm no guru by any stretch. whistling.gif

The install took me around 3 odd hours, and I will admit I wasn't in a hurry, and took a couple of breaks when my knees started whinging.

I was pretty methodical about my connections, as I wanted the neatest possible job, and also to ensure I wouldn't need to go back and re-do anything.

This is a seriously simple kit to install, Leon has done the hard yards to find the wiring connections, but I did move the earth point in the wheel, as there were a couple of M4 threads, so I just mounted the eyelet with a little stainless buttonhead, rather than under the horn spring.

I had a few issues in the set up phase; but that was because I was misinterpreting some of the directions. A quick chat on the phone with Leon got me back on track; I was moving the stalk in the wrong direction.pinch.gif

The set up was a piece of cake, and the Cruise works really nicely; on my Informeter, it makes 1% throttle adjustments to maintain speed; which is seriously fine adjustment. It reacts very quickly and smoothly to hills. I reckon there is definitely a potential fuel saving to be made with this.

My car didn't explode, no small children were harmed, and no baby fur seals were clubbed. It's like anything in life; if you're not sure; don't do it. If you're prepared to follow instructions and learn something; give it a go.

Cheers, Dale.

• 1 month later...