SAU Community

New Garrett Gtx2860R / 2863R / 2867R

Gav

Your taking the R all the way to Spa next year???

I don't own a filthy GTR. GTSt FOR LIFE, just not with an RB20 anymore :)

You and Paul love talking about your cars but I don't see any racing!

10 years of use-abuse means the past few years lots of stuff has needed replacing and track time has been lean. Where were you between 2000-2011? :) Have you even gone quicker then a 2008 RB20 time ? :)

So nobody has a proper GTX2860 result yet, only modded -5 housings?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So after looking into putting the 63mm wheels into my -5's i sent am email to GCG to see what their opinion on this combo would be like, and here is their response for those interested.

"We have had customer feedback in regards to this particular set up and it isn't positive, apparently they surge severely if fitted with with standard style housings on both ends unfortunately. Garrett do not do any GTX upgrades for the RB26 set up so we are currently working on a solution to this, pretty soon we will be bringing out our own range of custom stainless steel housings in 0.86a/r to replace the restrictive Garrett 0.64a/r housings (wot work with the GTX28R range), but this won't be ready until later this year.
The other thing as well, the surge slotted comp housings would have to be utilized with this set up so a custom intake would be required."

interesting post. thank you. guess i will stick to the 60mm billet haha :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've seen the kit GCG are now doing for the GTX range

They looked very neat and makes it very simple to bolt GTX 28's up.

I was thinking about doing GTX2860's and E85 to see if I can make 450kw.

Cheers

Any more info on their kit? or link to it?

Looking to upgrade my 5s (2.8) to GTX2860r variety but do not want the disappointment Sean had with the ported shrouds.

I see there are quite a few guys with re-profiled -5 comp hsgs for 2863s and no one is reporting any noticeable surge.

So I am fairly certain there will be no surge with RB comp hsgs on the gtx2860 as the wheel is pumping less at that PR (max boost start point) and surge line is further to the left than the 63s anyway.

ATP sell RB Twin style comp hsgs for the 63 and 67 they did advertise them also for the 60 but removed it after I ordered one only to be informed it was an error.

Because the 60 inducer is only 45.7mm and -5 inducer is 47.2mm then maybe the Garrett

pre machined casting is already too big to machine for 60s. Drat!

My car is putting down 545Hp at all wheels (4wd dynapack) and peak torque is around 4500rpm.

I want that peak around 3800rpm using 60s the 63s obviously more powerful but I dont need it.

So what I was planning on doing was boring out a 63 RB hsg from ATP (already have it) and shrinking a 6061 ally sleeve in there and re-profile it to suit.

Looked all around the web but cannot find any instances of this kind of mod.

Anyone heard of this kind of mod.

• 1 month later...

Looks like I might have a failed HKS 2530. Will confirm soon enough though. We are only 50% sure.

Anyway: If I have to replace them, I want something a touch more responsive - Would sticking the GTX2860 between the HKS2530 housings do the job (machined front covers of course)? I'm not too worried about top end. Car is mostly for street / track work. It's a stock RB26 at the moment, set up for E85.

Otherwise, I'll just throw in a pair of new GT2860 cores.

I've read the entire thread but people seem to be talking more about the GTX2863.

Sorry if I have missed something .

Edited by The Mafia