SAU Community

auto to manual conversion

Guest top_secret

give jms a ring they faxed me a quote about 3 weeks ago gearbox was $1700 and all the other little bits was about $525 and $50 for freight... So you're looking at $2275 just for parts so with labour you'd be looking easy $3000....Or you give Yarra Valley Automatics a ring and you can have ur auto strengthened with 2800rpm stall converter with an auto cooler all for $2500 which is including labour 3 day job aswell and if u take ur car down the quarter mile u'll get better times than if u had a manual cause with man u gonna need a bit of practice before u expect good times, and going by the price I'd stick with the auto which is what'll be doing....

I had mine converted by Hills Motorsport earlier this year.

cost me about $2700 for parts (got a HD clutch which was $500) and another $1000 for labour.

was a much bigger job than they had expected, having only converted r32s in the past. Mine was the first r33 they'd done, and it turned out there were many more incompatible parts between auto and manual in 33s than 32s.

it took about 6 weeks for them to do the job, 5 weeks of which was waiting for parts.

before you get it done make sure they have converted EXACTLY your type of car before. Mark at Hills would be a good choice now that he's done one, but if I'd known he hadn't done an r33 I would have gone to someone else.

I heartily recommend doing it , it's MUCH more fun to drive now, even if it is a bit slower (i can't shift as fast as the auto...at least not all day every day)

Matt

Guest top_secret

I spoke to UAS , they quoted 3k drive in drive out which seemed to be quite good considering the cost of auto r33s in comparison to manuals . Also Im hoping that the autos probably were not as thrashed as the manuals .

I did this conversion to my 180sx and it went pretty well especially considering the front cut the manual came from had only done 40000ks so it was a pretty good box to start with .

Are there differences in the final diff ratios between the autos and manuals ?

uhh, yeah the ratios are different...only a little, but enough to feel a slight "engine brake" when you take your foot off the throttle in 5th gear. that's the only time i notice it.

Sorry top_secret but rs73 wanted to know this!

Final Drive Ratio

The reduction ratio of the transmission gear(differential) set furthest from the engine. In other words, the ratio of the number of rotations of the drive shaft for one rotation of a wheel. In general, a low final drive ratio results in better fuel efficiency, and higher final drive ratio results in better performance!!!

The ratio expresses the number of turns required by the pinion (which is attached to the output shaft of the transmission) to turn the drive axle one revolution, i.e. 2.73:1 means the pinion must turn 2.73 times to turn the drive axle once. A higher number means a lower (or shorter) gear. Short gearing gives quicker acceleration, but because the engine must turn faster, gas mileage and top speed are lower. Tall gears give better acceleration and higher top speed, at the expense of acceleration.

MEGA

mmhmm... well yeah keep this thread aruond coz im interested later in doing that conversion to my car.. but at the moment i like the ability to drink, eat and talk on phone while driving my car....

and plus changing boxes still aint gonna give me much, coz a) never driven a manual, andb) i only have an auto liscence