SAU Community

Slipping Belt

Sage222

Hey M35 gurus :) Anyone tell me how hard it is to tighten the aircon/alt belt at the front? got one slipping badly at startup. though cant seem to find a tensioner. is it easy or am i going to need half a day and a hoist? :)

5 min job. From underneath. Look for a long 10mm bolt facing vertically. There is one for each belt.

Also, inspect the belt for cracking on the ribs on the inside. If its too bad or brittle, replace it.

5 min job. From underneath. Look for a long 10mm bolt facing vertically. There is one for each belt.

Also, inspect the belt for cracking on the ribs on the inside. If its too bad or brittle, replace it.

And don't forget to firstly loosen the idler bolt before trying to tighten the belt. Otherwise the idler won't slide.

Probably obvious but I made that exact mistake!

• 3 years later...

Dragging up an old one here, the bearing on my aircon pump or tensioner Seems to be on its way out, I can't quite put my finger on it, has anyone replaced this before? Don't want to pull it off without parts on hand, anyone know the part numbers?

Many thanks,

I suspect it may be a bit of a major - definitely if you lose your coolant. May be a job for an air-cond shop unless someone knows better.

No coolant loss, hard to describe but it's like a chirping sound proportional with revs, comes and goes, my guess is the bearing attached to the pulley on the pump itself might be on its way... Which yeah, could be a major, I'm quite rookie at this fault finding stuff lol

In this order. To eliminate other things Take off air con belt. If noise still exists look elsewhere!

Replace idler. It's easy.

If noise still exists then it sucks to be you!

• Like 1