SAU Community

Walbro 400Lph Problem

Hi all

So, I had a 400lph walbro fuel pump installed, in the stock cradle and assured over and over again that it reaches all the way to the bottom of the tank. Which I believe.

The car drives fine, but as soon as it dips to below quarter of a tank it won't pick up fuel and start.

This is what happened. Went to good old supercheap, parked car, came back car started no worries. Drove home, about 4km drive, park car at home, it's pretty flat, so not on a angle.

Let the car cool down, go to the car, prime it, I can hear that the fuel rail is not doing its usual squeal, so I know it's not gonna start, but I still try. No dice.

Back to the servo with my jerry can. Get 10litres of fuel throw that bitch in and bam car starts.

I let the car cool down each time, and it's not hiccuping or anything so obviously picking up fuel.

Why doesn't it want to start? Each time it's 40 odd litres empty.

Could it be that it needs more voltage? Or is this my life from now on?

I got a walbro in mine on stock cradle and have no problems. quite sure he had to put a extension on the stock cradle to get the fuel pump all the way to the bottom as the stock fuel pump has a long pick up. if he hasn't done that, it will be sitting in the middle of nowhere

I've heard that on o few of the new turbine style pumps you might have to prime them as the pick up air

Did you get it installed very recently ?

To prime just remove the return while it's on and wait till it pumps clear fuel

i reckon they didnt mount it low enough hence why its starving/stalling when reaching 1/4 tank.

When you said they used the standard sock, did that include the black hose so the sock sits right at the base of the tank?

(see pic below)

if they didnt, then there's your issue.

fuel%20pump2.jpg

I never said that it stalls or hiccups or anything like that.

Its only when the car is parked and left unattended at 1/4 or just below a 1/4 and it wont start.

And yes, that bad boy was used. I saw them do it all and they are just as baffled as I am. Its all going to be pulled apart and tested.

Did you wire the pump for direct battery voltage? If not grab a relay and install it using the original pump power to energize the relay.

Walbro's don't like under-voltage at idle like the stock pump. There are plenty of "how too" threads on here for you to follow. :thumbsup:

I had my GTR at wakie and the needle was on the empty line. I had my eyes on the afr all day like a hawk. And was all good.

32 tanks are different though

mine surged on 1/4 tank Lol

so you're pretty lucky to not surge on E