SAU Community

Walbro 400Lph Problem

33 and 34 GTR's have the same cradle orientation. Mid tank. Whereas the 32 GTR and gtst's have the bottom of tank orientation.

The 32's and gtst's would have no problem with the walbro due to it being submerged all the time.

But if you had the completely enclosed walbro then no one would have a problem.

My believe was only the walbro with the bleed/prime holes have a problem due to not being submerged the entire time in the tank, 33 gtr 34's. This was tested when we took a walbro 400l with (the one with the priming holes) and submerged it in a jerry can, it pumped like a baws. But as soon as we left it out of fuel for 30min and went to retest (this time not submerging it) it did not want to pump until about 10 sec of running it. Now that is a lot of priming time for a RB, which led to our conclusion that the 400l was not suitable for a fuel tank that did not have the fuel pump submerged at all times.

Now Im the guy that has problems with weird shit, so it would not surprise me if Im the only 1 that has problems with it. But I did also contact walbro and they said the same as what I said in my above paragraph. Maybe they made a sleight change. Maybe im just unrucky.

Bosch 044 ftw haha

• 4 months later...

Anyone have any ideas about the pump location of the R34gtt, looking at using some E85 so 044 are out of the equation since they are not meant for e85.theres a 460lph not sure if it has bleed holes.

to be honest, i think all pumps are fine with E85, it's just capacity that you have to worry about

i'm using a drop-in Nismo pump that's probably been in the car since... early 2000's? no issues with fueling on E85 for nearly 2 years now.

my old car has seen close to 5 years of constant E85 use with a drop-in Walbro (GT-T, walbro would be '07 vintage) no issues from that either.

i think the 'E85 specific' pumps might be a bit of marketing, with some minor changes

The E85 specific Walbro 400L has sealed pump contacts and plugs as ethanol can conduct electricity.

I always thought that pure ethanol was non conductive and that is was more a case of the contaiminets in the ethanol that are conductive. I mean if your saying that ethanol is conductive then you could also say that regular PULP is conductive to an extent.

I might have to test some E85 in our oil insulation resistance tester at work :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to buy one of those 400lph Walbro pumps but it says not for lightly modified vehicles. Im not looking into buying a small pump now then upgrade again in a short time space. By lightly modified is a car with an ECU,AFM,Exhaust and 550 injectors lightly mod?