SAU Community

Recommend Me A Stereo Setup - Speakers/amp/sub

Booki

Ey all,

Only had my R33 GTR for a few month's and I grow to love it more and more every day, a little while back i put in a Pioneer DEH-6450BT to give me some luxury's such as handsfree bluetooth and iPod connectivity. Its a great little unit, but the sound quality is on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I believe they are still stock speakers in my R33 GTR, they sound ultra crap.

Not looking for competition sound, just something with some decent quality that can go up to a decent volume for those times when you feel like blasting a cool track because your in a awesome mood.

Also NOT wanting to drill any holes in my door trims or make up anything to mount tweeters, would prefer to keep my door trim's intact as i don't trust myself cutting anything on it.

So i am hoping to get away with a decent set of coaxial's, one or two amp setup and a small sub for that extra kick. If i could get away without running a sub that would be even better...!

Thoughts?

Hey mate, so I take it you recommend the DEH6450BT? I was actually about to go out and buy one :P. Currently $223 at jb (30% off car audio).

As for the rest, sorry I don't really have recommendations as I'm in same boat as you, need to figure out some decent speakers too! (I'm going to grab a sub and amp though, already chosen :P).

Hey mate, post up your budget and some of the audio blokes can recommend brands. You will get much better sound out of a cheap amp than the head unit so its really a must.

At this stage, don't really want to throw more then $1000 at it considering i have already bought a head unit.

Looking for best value for dollar, whether it means i will have to spend more or less is up to you guys :)

Btw, I am NOT brand loyal. Looking for best sound for the dollar.

Edited by Booki

Hey mate, so I take it you recommend the DEH6450BT? I was actually about to go out and buy one :P. Currently $223 at jb (30% off car audio).

I highly recommend the Pioneer unit! Its got 3 pre outs, USB/iPod from the rear so makes it nice and easy to hide it all in the glovebox, along with all the features listed on the website.

The "mixtracks" thing is a bit corny, so if you are buying it JUST for that feature, i wouldn't bother.

I got it for $230 i think (friend discount a few months back before the sale) so its well worth the price!

In my previous car i had a higher end pioneer unit (going back about 4-5 years), it didn't have bluetooth but the screen and design was nicer.

Only things i can pick on is;

Sometimes my iPod will not be detected and it will just "charge" the ipod. But i think that is a iPod issue as when i restart the ipod it is all good again.

And that the little dial to change tracks is a bit lame and feels cheap. Otherwise its one of those get what you pay for things.

Good value for money, but if i had to do it all over again, I would look for a little higher end model to have a nicer build quality and hopefully piss off that lame dial thingy to change songs. Otherwise, feature wise. Can't complain, did everything i wanted for a good price!

EDIT: And oh, if you are connecting your antenna, don't connect it to the remote wire, otherwise the ugly lookin thing pops up all the time. It gave me the shits looking at it so i disconnected it, Can still pickup the radio fine (pending area), but if you don't mind the antenna popping up wack it in. And also my R33 GTR didn't have a "illumination" wire, i have heard you can just tap it into a existing wire on the dash, but not sure. Didn't bother doing more research on how to connect it. From memory it might just dimm or light up more when your parkers/headlights are on.

Edited by Booki

Haha thanks for all that info mate, will keep it in mind! Already picked one up along with my sub/amp (well ordered, waiting for those from another store) earlier today xD.

Yeah, I was looking at some perhaps lower-end (comparatively) units (basically same, just sans BT). But I figured screw it, I'll just get this one and see how I go. Although they had that joystick control, which looks better than this control (which looks a bit cheap like you said... had a play with it on the display but meh) though... Currently got a double din that was in the car from Japan, has dvd, satnav, tv etc which would be wonderful if it worked here xD. So anything's an upgrade really (goodbye fm transmitter :domokun: ).

You mean the antenna itself pops up? R34 so no probs there :P

Edited by kaitoukid

Go listen for yourself to as many different sets as you can, everyone has their own preference when it comes to car audio!

I highly recommend JL audio speakers and kicker amps, great combination and really well priced. speakers have huge magnets, good quality cones etc.

Alpine Type R's are very good as well, the rest of the range like E, S are pretty average IMO.

Personally I dont think you need a sub if you have good 6x9's through a powerful amp.

let us know what you choose :)

Go listen for yourself to as many different sets as you can, everyone has their own preference when it comes to car audio!

I highly recommend JL audio speakers and kicker amps, great combination and really well priced. speakers have huge magnets, good quality cones etc.

Big magnets dont = good sound , some of the best sounding subs have tiny magnets , neodymium !! Cost a fortune

big magnets = problem installs for dyi

JL is lower to mid range , sounds good for the cash but watch warranty if overpowered

Kicker , used to be really good When solobaric subs came out , average now , mids and tweets always mid range at best

Alpine Type R's are very good as well, the rest of the range like E, S are pretty average IMO.

Overrated for the price Better options exist , actually in a budget look at E,S models they could be worse ? Type X subs but cost a mint and take a butt load of power to get them to move and weigh a tonne

Personally I dont think you need a sub if you have good 6x9's through a powerful amp.

haha

6x9' s suck dog balls no exceptions

got some sweet 6 way 1200watt each for 20 bucks from a yard sale. Seriously they suck

let us know what you choose :)

Original post stop yanking chains and go shopping and listen and fondle

I've got myself:

Alpine iDA-X305S

Alpine Type-R SPR-60

Alpine Type-R SPR-60C

Costed me around $900 mark. Yet to get myself subs though. I'd highly recommend Alpines :)

Same I always buy alpine. Got type r 6" splits in the front, type r 6" in the rear, type r 12" sub, PDX 4 channel amp for the speakers and an old alpine mono block amp for the sub. This cost more than $1000, but without the PDX amp it will be affordable.

I have a stereo sitting in my closet that i used to have in my old 32 gts-t.

Took it out when i got my 32 GTR cause i was guna put it in that, but now in two minds.

Ive got:

Focal Polyglass splits front and rear

Two Focal Polyglass 11" (thats right....11") subs

Alpine Digital V12 4 channel amp for splits

Alpine Digital Monoblock amp for subs

The splits were around $500 a pair when i bought them back about 10 years ago and they still sound like magic to this day.

Focal stuff is a little more expensive than your average alpine/pioneer/sony/blah blah blah, but worth their weight in gold.

IMHO they are one of the best sounding car speaker on the market. Very crisp and clear, and i have heard their 6 1/2" splits through an amp with no sub and they still give fairly good bottom end. Just top quality through and through.

• 2 weeks later...

RESPONSE. excellent price/performance. Their amps are top notch and still easily available through Jaycar and ebay. The woofers are good, Some year models are better than other. Kevlar ones were the better years.

Same with the splits, but these are getting a little harder to find. Again you can get Response audio wiring and fuses ect. from jaycar too. Their Headunit are rubbish but you've already got that sorted.

I built a system using this stuff and have never heard anything that would compare for the same price.

In 2007 from Jaycar for around +$1000 i got:

6" 50W RMS Splits with x-over ~$120

6.5" 60W RMS Splits with x-over ~$125

2x 12" 300W RMS dual coil kevlar woofers ~$130ea

1x800W RMS Mono Block ~$230

4x130W RMS 4 Channel Amp ~$260

6M 4 guage Red ~$20

1.5M 4 guage Black ~$5

2x 6M RCA ~$35

approx figures, bought it in 2007. Tested with handheld db meter, 138.6db

Just pulled it all out of my old car and reinstalled in my new stagea. All still working great.

Subs, Need to be removable so i can put bikes ect in the back.

post-96096-0-59710400-1344993487_thumb.jpg

Everything else is hidden away, all the speakers and splits

Amps hidden away in tyre area. I just throw the space saver in the back for long distance trips.

post-96096-0-16660600-1344993491_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You're right the stock speakers are crap. A few years back upgraded my stereo with similar intentions to yourself, nothing massive and no drilling/cutting. I ended up settling on a Sony CD/mp3 with bluetooth and front aux input, 4 off 6" 4way sony speakers and a 4 channel 50w rms sony amp

I did the install my self over a few weekends starting with the speakers, dead easy to install as it all lined up with stock holes, not drilling or cutting. I did have to grind away a small portion of the boss on the rear speaker covers where the "child restraint points" attach to clear the speaker though. I was immediately amased at the result by just changing the speakers.

Later I fitted the amp and headunit and have ended up wiht a neat, nice sounding setup I made a custon amp shelf from some plywood, aluminium strip for brakets and utilised existing mounting points in the boot behind the rear seat. the headunit as well fitted without cutting/drilling the sony brackets that came with the unit were pre-drilled and tapped for Nissan/Toyota installation.

Hey I'm also looking at add some more punch to my sound system.

Looking at spending about 1000 max on speakers and amp. Then later on look at adding a sub.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried or heard the Alpine DDLinear speakers? I'm thing about running them off a Alpine PDX-F4 amp.

Currently got a Kenwood KDC-X8019BT head unit which I put in a few months ago and some old Clarion speakers that were in there when I got the car.