SAU Community

Car Security Systems, Diy Installation - Feedback

xntrq

Hey guys, I'm looking to do an upgrade for my security system. Price for the unit itself compared to price including installation is significant enough to drive me to DIY. I was just wondering if anyone else has installed their own security system and just want a bit of feedback.

Is it easy?

Approx. time taken?

Any pointers, do's and don't do's?

Any feedback would be appreciated! Except for "Save up some cash, get a pro to install it". I'm asian, nuff said :)

Easy depends on who your asking..... if thats your Skyline in the pic, very nice! Be careful and if your asking questions such as "Is it easy?" then I cannot help but show some concern for your neat Skyline. Lets just say that an in-expeirenced installation can result in car theft by an in-experienced car thief.

I get countless calls to go out and rectify DIY installs each year, usually on the side of the road where the car stalled.

Cheers and good luck.

P.S If you don't own a test light and a soldering iron then don't even attempt the job.

Easy depends on who your asking..... if thats your Skyline in the pic, very nice! Be careful and if your asking questions such as "Is it easy?" then I cannot help but show some concern for your neat Skyline. Lets just say that an in-expeirenced installation can result in car theft by an in-experienced car thief.

I get countless calls to go out and rectify DIY installs each year, usually on the side of the road where the car stalled.

Cheers and good luck.

P.S If you don't own a test light and a soldering iron then don't even attempt the job.

Yeah I've got soldering irons, heatshrinks etc. I've got a bit of electrical background since I was a techie, but other than wiring, any hard drilling work required? Like drilling metal panels etc. Plastics, trims and firewall is fine for me.

What is the main issue of people having their car stalling in mid road?

Cheers and good luck.

Sorry have to jump in

DO NOT use a test light on any car with electronics in it , it will fry ecu, pop airbags , stuff abs you name it, a simple probe into the wrong wire your done and the repair bills can be huge !!!

Ive seen experienced installers fry a super rare porsche ecu on a 959 one of the first out of customs in usa !! part was 4 grand to repair it and a probe from 5 dollar test light smoked it

dangerous when airbag hits you point blank in the head ( a digital mutimeter can be purchased for 10 bucks , cheap but useable , spend the extra and buy the good one it will last a lifetime in most cases )

Sorry but DIY alarms are a bad idea , most do not come with install instructions and dealers dont hand them out in most reputable shops , even the net is scarce on new models or how too because you cant tell the skill level of the DYI person , if the car stalls and causes a crash somebodys ass will fry for it like the installer or mentor

No disrespect to anyone but it takes a while to do it right and hide it proper , alarms can be slammed in about hour or take days you tell me which you would like to depend on ?

Edited by Carbon 34

Sorry have to jump in

DO NOT use a test light on any car with electronics in it , it will fry ecu, pop airbags , stuff abs you name it, a simple probe into the wrong wire your done and the repair bills can be huge !!!

Ive seen experienced installers fry a super rare porsche ecu on a 959 one of the first out of customs in usa !! part was 4 grand to repair it and a probe from 5 dollar test light smoked it

dangerous when airbag hits you point blank in the head ( a digital mutimeter can be purchased for 10 bucks , cheap but useable , spend the extra and buy the good one it will last a lifetime in most cases )

Sorry but DIY alarms are a bad idea , most do not come with install instructions and dealers dont hand them out in most reputable shops , even the net is scarce on new models or how too because you cant tell the skill level of the DYI person , if the car stalls and causes a crash somebodys ass will fry for it like the installer or mentor

No disrespect to anyone but it takes a while to do it right and hide it proper , alarms can be slammed in about hour or take days you tell me which you would like to depend on ?

Point taken into account. Will buy kit first and then see if I'll go DIY or not. All comes down to if it looks easy and if it looks familiar to me or not.

Sorry have to jump in

My diode protected L.E.D Test light has never caused an issue of any kind Carbon. Sorry, I now realise that I have to be very specific in everything I say. I don't use 5 dollar test lights bud. lol

• Like 1

Point taken into account. Will buy kit first and then see if I'll go DIY or not. All comes down to if it looks easy and if it looks familiar to me or not.

If your looking to insure your car for theft, make sure you buy an approved product that meets the Australian/New Zealand Standards. Most insurers will have a list of approved products. I have seen too many people buy the cheap Ebay alarms and realise later they are not covered for theft with that product. Its not neccessarily the alarm that needs to "look easy" if you don't know the vehicle your working on this is where the installation can come to a halt. This is where experience comes into play.

Cheers

If your looking to insure your car for theft, make sure you buy an approved product that meets the Australian/New Zealand Standards. Most insurers will have a list of approved products. I have seen too many people buy the cheap Ebay alarms and realise later they are not covered for theft with that product. Its not neccessarily the alarm that needs to "look easy" if you don't know the vehicle your working on this is where the installation can come to a halt. This is where experience comes into play.

Cheers

Yeah picking up a reputable one, model as PM'ed.

My diode protected L.E.D Test light has never caused an issue of any kind Carbon. Sorry, I now realise that I have to be very specific in everything I say. I don't use 5 dollar test lights bud. lol

It can still !! on some circuits on much newer cars

but not likely in the hands of a installer who knows the tools purpose like yourself

And has access to inside info on diagrams etc ( which are rarely right lol) someday I'll pop over to meet you and see your biz

I only brought it up because we know what to do and the tools and risks , but the average joe see's test light 2 bucks awesome!! Then blows the airbag or trace on the circuit board on the cluster , I'm sure you have run across a few disasters from DiY as well It comes with the job

I like DIY in some instances , but feel alarms arent the best test of skills for most people and end up costing people twice

Or voiding the warranty ( lifetime on some products if pro installed ?) insurance might also be a issue if the car is stolen ?

Think of it like this. If you rebuild an engine, and it shits itself, its costly, embarrasing and generally its an inconvinience to your every day life. Who's fault was it? Yours, you built it right?

Now, You have this fancy, sought after car that is a common target for car thieves, EVERYWHERE. You install an alarm, it all seems good and well, and you may even have followed the directions like a pro. Now, some car thief comes along, who is 99% of the time clued up on most car security systems, can see that its a basic install and easily bypasses it and takes your pride and joy. Now, who's fault is it? Yours right? you installed it. AND THEN.....

The insurance company comes along, asks the general questions, and asks who installed the security system.......see where this is going?

IMHO, take it to a professional, not just any, but a PROVEN AND REPUTABLE professional, get the job done A1 and hide the bastard well. Its peace of mind mate!

Sorry but DIY alarms are a bad idea

Why is it a bad idea? I've installed alarms for my mates and myself, honestly comes out cleaner than what most installers.

I cut all wires to length, even undo the OEM conduit and then rewrap all the wires back up so it loom looks all OEM, I usually place the alarm modules behind the headunit as well so it it's hard to reach & hidden. I only use heat shrinks, so there's no fugly electrical tape residue.

Cool and you can have some peace of mind for the security and safety of your car, while keeping the insurance company happy!

Have a good weekend people!

Why is it a bad idea? I've installed alarms for my mates and myself, honestly comes out cleaner than what most installers.

I cut all wires to length, even undo the OEM conduit and then rewrap all the wires back up so it loom looks all OEM, I usually place the alarm modules behind the headunit as well so it it's hard to reach & hidden. I only use heat shrinks, so there's no fugly electrical tape residue.

This guy knows how I feel. Pros who know what they are doing may put it in, but the quality of work may not be up to what I wanted. I haven't checked under my dashes yet to see the wiring and stuff, but I'm already not too happy about some bits since I'm a perfectionist anal f@ck. They didn't put my bonnet latch bolt in properly, left a screw out from the steering wheel trims, placed the alarm in a place where it required drilling (from the skylines I've seen, they all have been on the driver side with a bracket holding it). Once pros do this for a living, it's just doing another car to them whereas I would take a couple of hours getting my cables right and tidy.

That's how a proper job is done.

Other than that, props to my mates shop for installing it.

Trust me, I am anal as fk too.. I'm going to rip mine out and replace it with a not so common brand and relocate the wires. It looks like ar5e, well to my standards.

As long as you know what looms to touch and what not, you're not going to set off airbags, so chill. If you're afraid, just disconnect the loom to the clock spring and probe all you want.

All my cars, I eventually rip the alarms out and redo them to how I like them, slight OCD I guess and the fact is, I hate electrical tape. It's a horrible sight, I minimise using it at all cost.

So Johnny, if I look for any wiring that has been heatshrunk then this will help me identify where you have been working, because in my 17 years I can't recall ever seeing much heatshrink being used by any vehicle manufacturer in their wiring looms. When they use heatshrink it is small amounts and can only be found once your remove the origninal manufacturer "electrical tape" (e.g Nissan S15 main harness from ignition has a section where main igntion wire splits into 2 wires, can only be seen when you take off factory tape and conduit). Which is what I use.

Question: How do you use heatshrink when connecting indicators, doors, boot, 12V, which should be a t junction connection? Also when using the blowtorch or lighter or heat pen for the heat shrink how do you prevent a fire starting when most connections are in tight awkward and hard to get to places? Just how many cars have you worked on?

Ricky, if you have a problem with the installation you should contact the installer and have them sort it out for you, it is their obligation to do so as part of their Duty of Care. Also you should not be so quick to judge the Pros and put them all into the same category. Since 1993 when I first started in the industry I have seen and met many "Pro" installers from all over Sydney and seen their work, yet their is only a handfull (less then 10) of them I would trust with my own car. One of them is Chris Rogers who hasn't lived in Sydney for many years.

Speaking of Chris, I know he has probably seen this thread and is having a laugh right about now.......How are you mate?

Can we finally put an end to this thread and get on with our lives people.....

Why is it a bad idea? I've installed alarms for my mates and myself, honestly comes out cleaner than what most installers. I cut all wires to length, even undo the OEM conduit and then rewrap all the wires back up so it loom looks all OEM, I usually place the alarm modules behind the headunit as well so it it's hard to reach & hidden. I only use heat shrinks, so there's no fugly electrical tape residue.

Forgot to mention that many people talk about hiding the alarm module in hard to get to places, well that is a good practice and will help protect the vehicle against 85% of car thieves. The other fact is most car thieves are 85% brain dead (thats why they steal cars) and would not know how to bypass an alarm if the alarm module dropped and fell on their head! I have seen this first hand. I can bypass a car alarm and start your car and the module can stay exactly where it is, I don't need to find it. We have other ways to reduce the chance of theft which are far more affective than hiding the module alone. We can spend a full day fitting an alarm system and remove the entire dash but who has the money to pay for that. Usually people are crying out for lower prices.

Well put daniel

I'm sure chris is chomping at the bit to reply lol

I held out for another pro to answer

People dont understand you can spends days on a car but in most cases your not making money on the install when it takes that long , you have to make money to stay in biz , alarms can be chucked in about hour or two on known cars , new models sometimes longer

daniel is right heatshrink isnt normally used from factory , plastic tube crap is but its not tight , and split loom "taped up" is the norm

Hiding a brain behind the common theft item ( radio) isnt smart at all , muppets will steal the brain just cause there idiots looking for anything of value

agree less then a handful of people i would vouch for there work in oz or hand them my keys , theyre is a lot of people who know how but few meet my standards and common sense how to protect a car

I think a list of great shops should be compiled behind the scenes by a few of us and sticky listed in this forum on audio to streamline it a bit ? chris ? Daniel? Thoughts