SAU Community

Pros And Cons Of Triple Plate Clutches

relyt

Pros:

They are stronger

Cons:

They cost more to buy

They cost more to rebuild

They are generally heavier to use (so for a car daily driven, you'll need a big left leg)

So unless you are after 450rwkw+++ you really don't need to go bigger than a twin, they are tried and proven whilst still maintaining reasonable driveability... Especially so if you get a Nismo Coppermix, they are excellent and feel like a single plate. If you get the Comp grade one it'll hold 450rwkw no drama as well.

My triple plate Exedy was far to brutal for the street and a standard gearbox, stalling all the time and it had way to much bite.

I smashed 3rd gear on a low tune setting the very first time I gave it some stick, I'm now running a Nizmo coppermix and its like driving a different car.

Pros:

They are stronger

Cons:

They cost more to buy

They cost more to rebuild

They are generally heavier to use (so for a car daily driven, you'll need a big left leg)

So unless you are after 450rwkw+++ you really don't need to go bigger than a twin, they are tried and proven whilst still maintaining reasonable driveability... Especially so if you get a Nismo Coppermix, they are excellent and feel like a single plate. If you get the Comp grade one it'll hold 450rwkw no drama as well.

This x a million!

I'd you're not after more than 800 HP, this IS the clutch to buy. Those who have one understand!

• 2 weeks later...

ive got an os twin plate atm, non genuie clutch plates, more bite than an organic single, but not more pedal force.

will be going triple soon, as bought a box with a holinger input shaft, and came with a triple plate.

I smashed 3rd gear on a low tune setting the very first time I gave it some stick,

As I understand it, the clutch is the drivetrain equivalent of a fuse. So, it's like sticking a nail in the fuse box - you won't blow the fuse, but you will blow something else in the circuit.

So, if you stick a massive clutch in, then instead of a slipping clutch (fuse), you will likely break the gearbox or the diff.