SAU Community

R35 Gtr Air Flow Meter The New Z32 Afm

1400r

Hi guys came across a couple of articles when I was in Japan about the tuners there using gtr airflow meters as a upgrade on earlier gtr's 32,33 and 34 and also on SR's

most tuners were quoting better response, no stalling and more power in some cases got me keen to try one out on my car

also these sensor are easily replaceable and cheaply (compared to z32 afm at $395) to buy as you can get just then sensor itself

they can also be fitted to alloy piping easily and be fitted on the hot side if required

I sourced one from Japan but ended up selling it to the nisstune guys and making up my own kits

I contact the guys at nisstune to help me out with getting it tuned and they were keen as

they got a vq map to suit and can now tune any nisstune to suit the 35 air flow meters

below is the results for my car it feels better response wise alot more linear and no ldle down stalling smile.png))))))))))))))))))))))))))

in z32 airflow meter size piping (i.e 80mm) they do top out around 300rwkw above that you would order it to suit bigger piping

my car had had z32 550cc sards and nisstune so pre tuned but my tuner reviewed it and made a couple of small changes

now has 35 afm 550cc sards and nisstune and retune to suit same dyno same boost level used for both runs

will be testing with my mate the bigger pipe size ones on his 380rwkw rb25 r32

then once test can supply those to

contact me via pm if you keen as I bought a few test examples to try out

ps I just like trying out the new tings there doing in Japan to see why there keen

pricing is way under a new z32 and I'm selling the extra ones I got off as complete replacement units so afm pipe plug

super keen to try these out on a gtr if I get enough interest I'll make some more kits up

post-15018-0-19753700-1347764479_thumb.jpg

post-15018-0-10131500-1347764500_thumb.jpg

post-15018-0-03836900-1347764521_thumb.jpg

Edited by R31Nismoid

in z32 airflow meter size piping (i.e 80mm) they do top out around 300rwkw above that you would order it to suit bigger piping

A Z32 maxes out @ 300rwkw in stock piping? Since when? First I've heard of this and plenty of people have made well beyond that.

From your graph results, it just looks like the dyno has been done with a different ramp rate rather than any actual improvement. I find it hard to believe just a AFM/air sensor swap would give you an extra 40rwkw @ 3500rpm.

Do you have the original print out of the blue run, before it was overlayed?

The three cited factors ie. easier packaging/install into existing/custom pipes; and price sound like compelling reasons to give one a try if running an AFM setup. Eliminating stalling would be a significant improvement as anyone who's gone through that saga would testify.

It is only a sensor that measures airflow, so provided the fuel mapping is correct and the AFR in desirable range, difficult to see ANY reason why there would be more more torque at any given rpm UNLESS total airflow (boost) is changed. Before/after graph overlays please, as above comment by Jez.

A Z32 maxes out @ 300rwkw in stock piping? Since when? First I've heard of this and plenty of people have made well beyond that.

From your graph results, it just looks like the dyno has been done with a different ramp rate rather than any actual improvement. I find it hard to believe just a AFM/air sensor swap would give you an extra 40rwkw @ 3500rpm.

Do you have the original print out of the blue run, before it was overlayed?

my post say's in z32 pipe size ie 80mm the gtr afm do max out at 300rwkw

so if you want over 300rwkw in single afm application you would stepup the pipe size as they do with gtr's

there say power on the Japanese website I guess from less restriction however

I wasn't expecting more power and you wouldn't do the swap for that reason but for all the other reasons are

I posted the dyno cause everyone would have asked otherwise

vct was working ramp rate I assumed was the same guess not

however as said I didn't care about the power I cared how it drove (alot better smoother) and didn't stall afterwards

check out yashio factory and hpi's japanese websites both big name japanese tuners do these upgrades now to both gtr's and sr

it did it as I was keen to try out something new out of Japan interesting neither the less and you can thank me later for putting my $ up as a test run

boost was the same on both runs as stated and nisstune took that graph for his records

here's 2 graph's that I found not sure its what your after shows boost

post-15018-0-62472400-1347770222_thumb.jpg

post-15018-0-92119700-1347770264_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1400r

sensors gen nissan is around $200

can get cheaper copy sensors but untest who knows what you'll end up with

my leftovers with tested sensors I'll sell each one for $250

full kit pipe plug sensor and wire diagram

my post say's in z32 pipe size ie 80mm the gtr afm do max out at 300rwkw

so if you want over 300rwkw in single afm application you would stepup the pipe size as they do with gtr's

And i said that it doesn't.

The sensor in stock Z32 80mm housing will have the resolution for over 300rwkw in singular form.

GTR AFM's are not 80mm. Nismo replacements which are similar to a Z32 also do not have issues @ 300rwkw given you have two of them. So again not sure what you are trying to get at because the results clearly show otherwise in almost every single instance. I've never seen anyone max a Z32 @ 300rwkw in 80mm form.

there say power on the Japanese website I guess from less restriction however

AFMs are not a restriction. So again - guessing isn't good enough.

however as said I didn't care about the power I cared how it drove (alot better smoother) and didn't stall afterwards

So it just sounds like you had a poor setup prior? Be that tune of AFM.

I've had various AFM setups (factory & custom) for years and never had any stalling issues to speak of. Stalling comes down the tuner ability & also the AFM position. Unfortunately a lot of people get the AFM position wrong and then blame the AFM when it's actually their own fault for putting it too close to the turbo inlet and the reverb causes issues.

again read my post

in z32 pipe size a 35 GTR AFM WILL MAX OUT AT 300 rwkw

nothing to do with a z32 apart the pipe is the same size making it a swap over

how many 600rwkw 35 gtr's have you seen with stock piping and afm's?

how many over 300rwkw z33 with stock piping and stock afm have you seen

Ive miss written my first post or you've miss read it

I don't need to guess but I did for you as I'm not saying it'll make power yashio hpi do go argue with them

my tuner i.e Pete from Nisstune(heard of them?) said every sr he's seen with a z32 doesn't run 100%

regardless of who tuned it especially if your running it in front of a big turbo

these afm have no reverb issues

have had idle/stall issues with 3 different tuned by z32 sr combos

Edited by 1400r

not sure what a +

is mate afm was in factory position in front of a t28 2 tune's

and in front of a 2835 in factory spot with the other applications tune's

your all missing all the postive points and just looking at the power

replacement cost new z32 is $395

hot pipe fitment ease ahlar map style if you pop a hot side cooler pipe

response/smoother

no stalling

again read my post

in z32 pipe size a 35 GTR AFM WILL MAX OUT AT 300 rwkw

Right so in one line you are saying this:

A R35 GTR AFM into a Z32 housing, that then maxes out @ 300rwkw.

So in effect you are taking a step back because the original Z32 would flow more than 300rwkw. :huh:

your all missing all the postive points and just looking at the power

hot pipe fitment ease ahlar map style if you pop a hot side cooler pipe

response/smoother

no stalling

From the pictures your original AFM is far too close to the turbo inlet so it comes as little surprise you have driveability problems.

I know people with SR's under 300rwkw and AFMs and none of them have any of the issues you are talking about.

This is all just sounding like you had a setup with issues and you've simply fixed them in a round-a-bout type of way rather than their actually being any real gains, aside from the very strange dyno results. Could perhaps be the tune was given more attention as well.

I fitted one of these to see what the fuss was about no other reason

35 gtr's run 80mm piping factory it just happen's to match the size of a z32

what do you do when a z32 maxes out?

with a 35 gtr afm you just fit a bigger pipe

in terms of only outright power reading ability in a 80mm pipe yes a step backwards

however upsize the pipe diameter (same as the do with 35 gtr's) and no problem reading higher

in terms of cost, replacement ease etc there still a step forward

the afm is in the stock postion

fact is 35 gtr afm has no problem there z32 does

you need to look at it this way if you were setting a car up you'd go these in whatever pipe size you needed to read correctly your output

rather than using z32's now

you wouldn't pull your z32's off if your not having stalling issues like all the sr guys are

unless your z32 shat itself or something

Edited by 1400r

http://www.yashiofactory.co.jp/

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~p-craft/

http://www010.upp.so-net.ne.jp/rio/

http://tsugio-blog.com/?day=20110822

http://apmshop.ocnk.net/product/1

http://www1.ocn.ne.j...-craft/top.html

finding all these was reason enough for me to wanna try them out

"We will divert the air flow meter of your suggestions 35GTR from this year.

I had been testing the demo car at 34 because it was anxious from people before.

Although it takes a little time so we have also tested various types of engines in other vehicles as well, I was also able to take various data.

Airflow specification, I think I can come and have another consultation embarrassed person or stall the airflow, such as trouble in RB26.

I think that there is no downside as listed, such as Rev G Maga.

I will come to quite different, such as smooth rise of low-and medium-speed rotation torque is also up more than 34 of the demo car, even until now, I have happily low-speed torque is even more easy to get out of the normal 34.

I think cost is the initial investment it takes to become absolutely necessary adapting the computer when the air flow of the 35R, the benefits of the way, it's just that there.

I might change it as great over a little.

Please call the world is anxious."

Edited by 1400r

So they will bolt onto any size pipe and handle over 300rwkw and is cheaper than a Z32. Next question, how hard is it to get it to work with power fc, I'm guessing not to bad just a matter of playing with the settings, but have no idea how to do this

Would be interested if my Z32 decides to die so I can do a full 4" intake

So they will bolt onto any size pipe and handle over 300rwkw and is cheaper than a Z32. Next question, how hard is it to get it to work with power fc, I'm guessing not to bad just a matter of playing with the settings, but have no idea how to do this

Would be interested if my Z32 decides to die so I can do a full 4" intake

Once you have an airflow map for it, it'd be a piece of cake to setup with a PFC. Getting the map would be the hard part.