SAU Community

Hks V-Cam & Link G4? Yes We Can! Thanks Again To Chequered Tuning

Nice result! Makes a really solid difference :)

You are the guy that Chequered did the Flex-Fuel tuning on as well, eh? Would be interesting to see how the setup goes on ethanol + VCAM!

Pretty cool having the combination of someone keen to try interesting combinations, and a tuner with the inclination and ability to carry it through.

Yep, running flex-fuel as well :) Pushing the little G4 a bit :D - that is an E85 result, i very very rarely have to put 98 in these days.

Yeah, i've come across varying opinions across different workshops, so it's great to have someone you can throw stuff at and get nutted out with great results. It's great to see more and more flex-fuel setups since we did mine, and more people interested in and talking about it.

One of the great things about Trent is that he's willing to give things a go, unlike some workshops who told me my old GT-T would die running E85, fuel lines corroding, injectors/fuel pumps being destroyed etc... funny to see these same people years later singing E85 praises :rolleyes:

Loving this Dan - very nice. You are doing everything I want to do. Exactly the direction I would like to head with my 32 in the next year or so.

NEVER go full retard!

hahaha, especially on this setup... full advance!!!

Thanks mate :) more people with flex-fuel setups the better! cleaner cars and more E85 demand hopefully leading to more E85 outlets :) win win - as for Vcam, perhaps i should look more into getting a local kit made...... ;)

Interesting results...

Would love to see the map for cam advancements. I would suspect that it's advanced fairly much everywhere apart from idle?

i believe it's something like that... idle is rock-steady and very smooth/quiet. It's small, but another advantage of the Vcam. I know the resolution of the cam map is greater than the HKS controller, but i haven't actually seen it in graphical form, i need to update my Link software. Plus, i'll leave it up to Trent about how much he wants to divulge :D

i suppose of out curiosity, is there much interest in a locally made Vcam kit??

It's great to see more and more flex-fuel setups since we did mine

I saw you noticed the thread I was involved with on the Link forum... your car ultimately inspired setup we did with the S14, works really well too - definitely the way to go IMHO.

Yep, running flex-fuel as well :) Pushing the little G4 a bit :D - that is an E85 result, i very very rarely have to put 98 in these days.

Yeah, i've come across varying opinions across different workshops, so it's great to have someone you can throw stuff at and get nutted out with great results. It's great to see more and more flex-fuel setups since we did mine, and more people interested in and talking about it.

One of the great things about Trent is that he's willing to give things a go, unlike some workshops who told me my old GT-T would die running E85, fuel lines corroding, injectors/fuel pumps being destroyed etc... funny to see these same people years later singing E85 praises :rolleyes:

hahaha, especially on this setup... full advance!!!

Thanks mate :) more people with flex-fuel setups the better! cleaner cars and more E85 demand hopefully leading to more E85 outlets :) win win - as for Vcam, perhaps i should look more into getting a local kit made...... ;)

i believe it's something like that... idle is rock-steady and very smooth/quiet. It's small, but another advantage of the Vcam. I know the resolution of the cam map is greater than the HKS controller, but i haven't actually seen it in graphical form, i need to update my Link software. Plus, i'll leave it up to Trent about how much he wants to divulge :D

i suppose of out curiosity, is there much interest in a locally made Vcam kit??

Do you know if you can slightly retard the base cam position so you can gain top end power or is the cam ground slightly retarded from hks?

Edited by rob82

• 1 year later...

Most OEM stuff is mechanically limited, by either having enough piston to valve clearance or mechanically limiting the advance/retard (I know this for sure on all EJ sereis motors, 4G63, 4B11, BA-FG falcons, have played around with some toyota and nissan VCT but never tested/Checked for piston to valve clearance).

Also you dont need to drive at 100% to make valves's hit pistons, if there is no mecahincal limit, all you need to do is drive the spool solenoid(if that is what is used) at say 60% for too long to cause it to go to full advance/retard depending upon the engine type......

I'm a little nervous here - I would have more confidence in an OEM ECM that has the cam phasing control loop optimized from factory to limit the max phasing, but I'm not quiet sure I would trust and aftermarket ECM..... There maybe more about the system I dont know - care to elaborate trent? I've also want to get my hands on the V-Cam setup.

HKS state that it is indeed interference.

Anyone seen this?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Otomoto/191845587504208?fref=ts

Seems very expensive to me, $3500 for a cam, a few lines and fittings (not even assembled) and a couple billet ally parts... Still needs another "$850" of parts to get all the parts needed for install and then you need to assemble and install everything including modifying the cam cover and then setting up a ECU to use.

I see about $1000 worth of parts in the $3500 and at the $4350 it's not exactly cheap. If you were doing a decent build the difference to a stroker would be cheaper

Anyone seen this?

Seems very expensive to me, $3500 for a cam, a few lines and fittings (not even assembled) and a couple billet ally parts... Still needs another "$850" of parts to get all the parts needed for install and then you need to assemble and install everything including modifying the cam cover and then setting up a ECU to use.

I see about $1000 worth of parts in the $3500 and at the $4350 it's not exactly cheap. If you were doing a decent build the difference to a stroker would be cheaper

FATZ has a thread in the group buys section. 3000 bucks.

I agree with what you are saying re the price.

The tricky part, if you can call it that, is the oil feed to the actuator, which is run into the back of the camshaft by replacing the half moon in the head. Pretty easy to machine something up to do it, but having a camshaft with a hole down the length of it is also required, along with a little bit of plumbing.

Anyone seen this?

done something similar, the latest being Rowan (done all by ROWAN personally) pictured below. Its around 500-800rpm advantage, just use all NEO parts, head can be drilled in situ.

https://www.facebook.com/ChequeredTuning/photos/pb.192234970820442.-2207520000.1411571701./756918454352088/?type=3&theater

To the OP, is there a way to turn the v cam off so we can get a back to back result?

has anyone done it with a NEO as well?

I have maps with it on and off and without it installed. Huge difference with it on.

• 3 years later...

this is a massive thread dig but thought it was worth posting, I've been trawling through the Emtron KV8 ECU options and the HKS Vcam is supported under closed loop PID cam control. no Valcon control box required.

has certainly piqued my interest in the setup considering HKS has price-cut the V-cam package from what it used to cost. (looking at about $4k AUD these days)

21 minutes ago, burn4005 said:

this is a massive thread dig but thought it was worth posting, I've been trawling through the Emtron KV8 ECU options and the HKS Vcam is supported under closed loop PID cam control. no Valcon control box required.

has certainly piqued my interest in the setup considering HKS has price-cut the V-cam package from what it used to cost. (looking at about $4k AUD these days)

Plus shipping, plus duties and ends up just under 5K but yes there are a few ecus that can run it now and the valcon box ends up in the bin. I’ve done it with a haltech elite

3 hours ago, burn4005 said:

Plug and play emtron will run V cam let alone KV8 ?

No silly haltech boxes needed either ?

Bout time their premium ecu done something that didn't require another additional cost or box to mount and wire up! 

Correct me if im wrong but even the plug and play haltech for GTR requires an add on box for factory oxygen sensors? 

Bout time their premium ecu done something that didn't require another additional cost or box to mount and wire up! 

Correct me if im wrong but even the plug and play haltech for GTR requires an add on box for factory oxygen sensors?