SAU Community

What Colour To Paint Brembos?

hey guys,

I am thinking about giving my brembos a freshen up. They've copped a few stone chips over time, and since I put the 17's on which clear them by about 1mm one of them must have got scraped either during installation of wheels or through some flex under load.

They are currently the OEM Gold colour - I have some touch up paint in the mean time - but it's not a perfect match as you can't buy Brembo gold anywhere. So i'm thinking of doing a complete colour change.

What do you think would look best on a white car with flat gunmetal grey rims? I want something that will 'pop' - so silvers, greys and golds are kinda out.

Here are some options I like - comments welcome - but any suggestions for other colours would be good too.

Candy Blue

7d32424b.jpg

Metalcast Anodized Red (did this colour before - looks ok but bit 'played out' IMO).

calipers014.jpg

Pearl Orange

d7f23714.jpg

Metallic Teal

DSC01532.jpg

Kermit Green

ESS-7.jpg

Tiffany Blue

6033855295_f592c86b46_z.jpg

Yeh - I like the grreen too. But it's got to be right. I have seen an EVO with Ford Focus RS iridiescent green on it, looks amazing, but it's a tri-color paint that needs to be done profesionally - I need something out of a can. VHT does Kermit Green though, and I reckon with a white or silver base coat it would get some nice colour.

No - no purple. There will be no purple lol. Or hot pink.

I was just thinking about colour change to my Brembo's last night.. hmm.

I like the idea of black with white brembo stickers. That green does look nice though and it's different.

thats what ill be doing.. knowing that the stock evo ones fade, is there much point in going red again??

although I really like that anodised red up there!!

I think the EVO brakes fade when they've had a hard life. Even if you resprayed properly, regardless of colour, I reckon 5 years would be an expected lifespan for them to stay looking fresh before you needed to re-do them - but hey - probably time for a colour change anyway!

The anodized red does look nice. I used MetalCast Duplicolor - it's a two stage system, metallicf silve basecoat then the red candy top coat - you can vary the depth of the colour by the amount of layers you do. Pics on my Stagea:

IMG_2733.jpg

I think the Teal blue looks awesome though.......matched to gold rotor top hats and gold lug nuts?

Update: the metallic teal is powdercoat. I can't really be shagged removing the calipers, dissasembling them and sending them away for powdercoating. Even though it looks awesome, and would be very durable.

VHT does a colour called Torque 'n' Teal - which is close, but doesn't have metallic in it. Might buy some and do some test painting on something metal to see how it comes out.

936505307_iTqMt-XL.jpg

Edited by SMOKEYC34

I have to get mine sprayed soon due to changing the rotors... leave my dad for one minute and big chunk of paint is off the fron caliper... Massive fan of the candy blue. However, mine are going the purple with white decal. How much do they ballpark for?

I think the EVO brakes fade when they've had a hard life. Even if you resprayed properly, regardless of colour, I reckon 5 years would be an expected lifespan for them to stay looking fresh before you needed to re-do them - but hey - probably time for a colour change anyway!

The anodized red does look nice. I used MetalCast Duplicolor - it's a two stage system, metallicf silve basecoat then the red candy top coat - you can vary the depth of the colour by the amount of layers you do. Pics on my Stagea:

IMG_2733.jpg

yeh i might hit you up for some exact names mid december, the candy red would match the DB5000 alloy hats I have on..

but i was thinking a pot belly black, which is a satin black and again durable as fark! and being satin, brake dust might not be so noticable lol

I'll grab some teal paint after work today - do a test run.

But also maybe spearmint would look cool.

Had a vision that it would look good, especially with some small highlights to tie it in to the rest of the car.

An interesting thing for people reading this thread in the future, I've done a lot of reading and it is widely written that you don't have to use high temp paint for the calipers UNLESS you track your car. I have always used high temp paint and it is frustrating how few colours are available. But people have tried and tested street driven cars with just a conventional paint and confirmed a street driven car won't generate the temperatures that will bubble the paint. This means you can use any off the shelf paint - which increases your colour options about a million times over.

Another method is to put down a basecoat of white high temp paint, go over with your choice of any conventional colour, and seal the decals on with high temp clear. I would at least recommend high temp clear, as i've seen conventional clear coats go yellow on wheels before - so assume same would happen to brakes.

I also like the purple Josh put up!

yeh definitely can't be a rushed job - or else you will be doing it again in no time.

I am starting to think I will need to take the calipers off if I want to get a job done that i'm happy with- if only I could get a set of 'exchange' Brembos that didn't cost a ballsack - I could paint them and swap them on in a couple of hours.

That purple paint is most definitely Duplicolor Metalcast Purple. You can buy it a SuperCheap Auto - costs about $20 a can, and you have to buy the primer - also about $20 a can. You only need one of each to do a set of 4 calipers.